VIC Wombat 100 / Woodend / 22nd April 2012

MJG

Likes Dirt
Hi - given the fact that course has evolved ever so slightly over the last few weeks (at least that is the impression I have got), is the profile on the event website still be considered as accurate?
It's accurate enough for the 50 km race. Elevation gain around 920 m.

For the 100 you have to know which bits of the profile to chop out...tricky enough even for a local. The airstrip ride down track S2 in the pines removes a few undulations that would have been encountered on track S1 (with coarse blue metal topping). The removal of the big loop down south from the pines and back up again takes away say 3 big climbs, and that depends on your definition of big I guess. For those who remember earlier editions, you won't be riding up the fenceline climb that's way down south after Trott Rd, not the long drag back up to Fingerpost Rd west of the smaller isolated pine planatation on Mulcahy Rd (incorrectly labelled as Dixon Rd on the map), and not the steep climb back to the pines up Burnt Mill East Rd from the Gisborne Creek valley.

Suffice to say it'll be shorter and flatter than the profile on the website...but still no cakewalk. Instead of over 2000 m elevation change, I'm guessing say 1800 m? You can do a post-event GPS data comparison on Sunday afternoon.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hardtail 29er or FS XC 29er... (those are my two choices, and fine choices they are, Woodend is 29er heaven.)

DISCLAIMER: This post is in no way an invitation to start debating 26 vs 29er... I only have 29ers now, so it's my only choice.
rode it last year on a Giant 29 HT so HT is fine, there was a rocky road with large stones where I had to slow down, but on the climbs, got up everyone of them, that extra punch you can get from the HT was nice. 29er HT was good on the opening fireroads, could pump along quite well.

Weather: last year it rained right up to the event, however organisers (and vollies) masterfully altered the course around any boggy areas, course was pretty dry overall with a few puddles - although course distance was more 110ks - had a few dissapointed riders who got caught out with course cutoffs - 100k cutoff on 110 course!!. Also after the event we had a giant hailstone shower, mate's truck looked like someone had been riding their DH bike over roof. Here's a video of hail as I waited for mate who was still riding, htfu hailstorm, he kept going even though the forest mudmucks were chucking yonnies at him!!!!

I would be doing this event again but have an Oxfam 100k walk to do, don't forget to go back to Woodend post event for a beer and pie. Good luck to all.

MJG

Likes Dirt
I'll be holding you personally responsible if the weather deviates from the above forecast. :)

I'll be enjoying the fifty this year and probably wont see you M, so good luck!

Cheers, J
Hah, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. But honestly, track conditions haven't been this good all summer. It would be a crying shame if they didn't stay this way.

Thanks J, good luck to you too. As my Mrs says to me before races "Good luck, kick @r$e, and be careful.".

The 50 will be pretty good, you'll ride on quite a few fun tracks (but the 100 is better as you get the pines and more Wombat tracks too). The last run going down the Wombat loop backwards (from Corner Tk to Ford Tk just before the Cammeray front gate) flows really nicely - it's amazing how riding a course backwards feels strange yet somehow familiar at the same time. Just watch out for the last two small hills in the final loop to the west and north of Cammeray...they're not fun if you've overdone it. They do however give you long flowing downhills as compensation.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
It's accurate enough for the 50 km race. Elevation gain around 920 m.

For the 100 you have to know which bits of the profile to chop out...tricky enough even for a local. The airstrip ride down track S2 in the pines removes a few undulations that would have been encountered on track S1 (with coarse blue metal topping). The removal of the big loop down south from the pines and back up again takes away say 3 big climbs, and that depends on your definition of big I guess. For those who remember earlier editions, you won't be riding up the fenceline climb that's way down south after Trott Rd, not the long drag back up to Fingerpost Rd west of the smaller isolated pine planatation on Mulcahy Rd (incorrectly labelled as Dixon Rd on the map), and not the steep climb back to the pines up Burnt Mill East Rd from the Gisborne Creek valley.

Suffice to say it'll be shorter and flatter than the profile on the website...but still no cakewalk. Instead of over 2000 m elevation change, I'm guessing say 1800 m? You can do a post-event GPS data comparison on Sunday afternoon.
Awesome - the overall 'flatter' than the profile helps a bit, the other stuff (as I am not a local) is a bit difficult to follow. It is still 100km though? You say shorter - is it more of a "95-100km" rather than a "100km"?
Thanks - its really helpful - I'm working how much to drink and what to put at the bottle stations - this depends on how long (in time) between each station - which is affected by the hills.
I appreciate your help. See you Sat. Damn its wet here in Sydney, so I hope its better there!!!

MJG

Likes Dirt
Awesome - the overall 'flatter' than the profile helps a bit, the other stuff (as I am not a local) is a bit difficult to follow. It is still 100km though? You say shorter - is it more of a "95-100km" rather than a "100km"?
Thanks - its really helpful - I'm working how much to drink and what to put at the bottle stations - this depends on how long (in time) between each station - which is affected by the hills.
I appreciate your help. See you Sat. Damn its wet here in Sydney, so I hope its better there!!!
I tried to refer to landmarks on the map I supplied in post #63 (you'd need to cross reference this against the map on the race website to see the omitted bits, but only if you're that cartographically inquisitive).

Yes, it may well be in the 95-100 km range measured by GPS only. Wheel magnet speedometers will give closer to 100 km. BTW, I'm not setting the course, just saving those who are working hard behind the scenes some computer work.

There will be distance to go markers at 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 km remaining. Earlier ones might be out by say 1 km at the very most, the last one will be pretty accurate - within a few 100 m. The reason for this is because we couldn't ride into Cammeray Waters resort from their back gate to measure the final km or so.

Feed stations are at ca 26 km, mid-distance (high 40's km) and mid 70's km done. Depending on your racing speed, allow say 90 min between feeds (based on a 6 hr race). Once you've climbed to the top (western end) of Gerrys Rd (see map) the worst climbing is over. The last 25-30 km are relatively quick compared to the preceding bits.

It hasn't been this dry down here for a while (yay!). We've had quite a few days in a row of foggy mornings clearing to sunny, still, cloudless afternoons.
Remind me again, what was that Melbourne weather cliche?

Stons

Likes Dirt
Just looking the new map of the course, without having a full knowledge of the course, I cant see any 'sustained' climbs in the first 50km however I definitely wouldn't call it flat either.

I always remember to save my legs for climb out of Fitzgerald Road to Gerry's Road and then to Burnt Mill Road (southern area of map)... Based on the course this year, it would be around the 70-75km mark.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Just looking the new map of the course, without having a full knowledge of the course, I cant see any 'sustained' climbs in the first 50km however I definitely wouldn't call it flat either.

I always remember to save my legs for climb out of Fitzgerald Road to Gerry's Road and then to Burnt Mill Road (southern area of map)... Based on the course this year, it would be around the 70-75km mark.
Before the first feed there's a long fast downhill firetrack that you have to pay for with some climbing very soon afterwards.

The climb you mention after Fitzgerald Rd begins at the fording of Saltwater Creek. The best line for this is on the far right. The subsequent vehicle track has been graded (and is well bedded in) so careful line-picking won't be necessary.

JD26

Likes Dirt
Awesome information guys, keep it coming!

Definitely helps greatly for someone North of Victoria!

Stons

Likes Dirt
Before the first feed there's a long fast downhill firetrack that you have to pay for with some climbing very soon afterwards.

The climb you mention after Fitzgerald Rd begins at the fording of Saltwater Creek. The best line for this is on the far right. The subsequent vehicle track has been graded (and is well bedded in) so careful line-picking won't be necessary.
Thanks for that MJG... Always good to know where those climbs are, especially in the first 50km. Appreciate all your other updates as well. The weather forecast is looking ok, doesnt look like we'll be getting a huge downpour.

MJG

Likes Dirt
...Just watch out for the last two small hills in the final loop to the west and north of Cammeray...they're not fun if you've overdone it. They do however give you long flowing downhills as compensation.
Just came home from a meeting of the course organisers - there's now only one small hill at the end, after getting to near the front gate of Cammeray. You'll get a flatter singletrack ride along the western boundary of the resort, instead of a fire road climb. The last pinch is just after that.

MJG

Likes Dirt
I use freemeteo for the weather, their detailed rain timing and amount forecasts help give a guide (I still take these with a grain of salt) to when might be best to go for a ride.

Yesterday their forecast for the weekend was looking grim, with 23.3 mm to fall up to race day (Thu 2.5, Fri, 12.8, Sat 8.0, Sun 0.1) but that has improved significantly - today it's showing Thu 7.4, Fri 0.5, Sat 0.3 and Sun 0.0 mm. Enough to keep the dust down, and definitely no mudfest!

http://freemeteo.com/default.asp?pid=19&la=1&gid=2143103&nDate=5

Very comfortable temperatures predicted too, around 9 - 17C, so no frosty morning nor scorching hot afternoon, and only light S - SE winds, ideal racing weather.
freemeteo's a fickle forecaster...it's now saying Thursday 0.1, Friday 13.5 (from mid morning to late afternoon...pity the poor course markers), Sat 0.3 (at night), Sun 0.0 mm. Race day temps 10 - 25 C. Very light easterly winds. There will be a few puddles here and there, mostly on the main Wombat track, but nearly all will be avoidable. It'll dry up quickly with these temps.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just came home from a meeting of the course organisers - there's now only one small hill at the end, after getting to near the front gate of Cammeray. You'll get a flatter singletrack ride along the western boundary of the resort, instead of a fire road climb. The last pinch is just after that.
Thanks M, given this update, my new strategy will be to red-line from the start, and then try to protect the gap for the next 49km! :)

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
50% chance of 1-5mm for Castlemaine, while it's 50% chance of 5-10mm for Kilmore, so I don't think the Bureau knows. The main thing is that it seems to be staying dry in the lead up. I'm getting excited - only 3 more sleeps to go.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Sorry Jim, I should have spelled it our more clearly, the first say 47 km are the same as usual, hills included. There's only one small hill in the final circuit and not 2 in the final circuit. Redline early at your own risk.

(Edit: Judging by his smiley, I'm sure Jim meant his comment in jest. I'm just trying to clear it up for anyone who misinterpreted what I clumsily wrote).

Also, the distance to go markers will be GPS accurate - someone will ride the course backwards on Saturday from the finishing line and put these up.

Last edited:

fergo

Likes Dirt
50% chance of 1-5mm for Castlemaine, while it's 50% chance of 5-10mm for Kilmore, so I don't think the Bureau knows. The main thing is that it seems to be staying dry in the lead up. I'm getting excited - only 3 more sleeps to go.
Slight difference in the two locations. Kilmore is in the ranges while Castlemaine is on the other side of them and in the rain shadow. Woodend is right on top of them!

You recon you're excited. Tonight will be my 4th trip to Woodend (from Melbourne) this week re setup and organization of the race. 2 more trips on Sat and then race day!

When you see a marshal, say G'day and thanks. We've been working hard so the race is a success for the riders!

Last edited:

fergo

Likes Dirt
Sorry Jim, I should have spelled it our more clearly, the first say 47 km are the same as usual, hills included. There's only one small hill in the final circuit and not 2 in the final circuit. Redline early at your own risk.

Also, the distance to go markers will be GPS accurate - someone will ride the course backwards on Saturday from the finishing line and put these up.
Also, the distance to go markers will be wheel computer* accurate - someone will ride the course backwards on Saturday

MJG

Likes Dirt
Also, the distance to go markers will be wheel computer* accurate - someone will ride the course backwards on Saturday
Did you put your hand up for that job Ferg? You have wheel sensors on both your MTB as well as on your roadie?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

(Edit: Judging by his smiley, I'm sure Jim meant his comment in jest. I'm just trying to clear it up for anyone who misinterpreted what I clumsily wrote).

100% in jest bud... I'll be cruising the 50 with a smile on my dial.