VIC Wombat 24 hour 6/7 December 2014

MJG

Likes Dirt
Warm clothes, it can be freezing overnight, last year was the I coldest I have been on a bike in a 24hr race including races I have done in Canberra in April and October.
The course is at an elevation of ca. 650 m, as a rule of thumb that's 6C colder than Melbourne. If it's a damp foggy night like in 2013 then it'll feel even colder. If you have waterproof insulated winter MTB boots and warm waterproof gloves then bring these. Make sure your support crew have warm clothing for themselves since they'll be mostly sitting around and only active for a few minutes every hour when you drop through.

Just pace yourself, if that mean you deliberately are last at the end of the start lap well so be it. You can then gauge your pace from there.
One mistake to avoid as much is to be too conservative on the LeMans run. I walked this last year and was stuck behind people whose riding pace was frustratingly much slower than mine. Once on the bike and into the groove of trying to get past these folk on the singletrack it's then difficult mentally to slow down again for a realistic 24 hour pace.

On your bikes have as close to new brake pads, chain etc before you start,if your suspension needs servicing get it done also before the race. It's a big loop of a lap, Wombat, and there is no easy way back to transition other than follow the race track back.
To those with the knowledge there are many short ways back to the transition from almost everywhere on the course, but I assume that if you took any of these you'd be obliged to either restart that lap or ride back to the point from which you began your shortcut to complete that lap? Could be a quicker fix than walking with your bike around the course. No feasible way of policing this so I guess it would come down to your honesty and/or your gps data if your ride/result were to be disputed.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
One mistake to avoid as much is to be too conservative on the LeMans run. I walked this last year and was stuck behind people whose riding pace was frustratingly much slower than mine. Once on the bike and into the groove of trying to get past these folk on the singletrack it's then difficult mentally to slow down again for a realistic 24 hour pace.

To those with the knowledge there are many short ways back to the transition from almost everywhere on the course, but I assume that if you took any of these you'd be obliged to either restart that lap or ride back to the point from which you began your shortcut to complete that lap? Could be a quicker fix than walking with your bike around the course. No feasible way of policing this so I guess it would come down to your honesty and/or your gps data if your ride/result were to be disputed.
Going by this yrs entry list big conga lines aren't going to be a factor, to be honest Marty you are fitter than the average mtber and probably should have run at the start.

Unfortunately, I didn't see a single marshall on course last year and trying to navigate your way back to the transition area after a mechanical, without their assistance would likely lead to someone getting lost, therefore following the track is the safest option.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Hi Quiggs,

Thanks for the comments. With camping is their showers etc available for the campers? I will also probably get dinner in town at the Hotel.
From what i could see, no showers available for those wanting to camp, come to think of it I didn't even spot a public toilet around the event centre.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Last year was quite cold overnight. I put on a heavy weight long sleeve jersey, explorer socks and some warmer gloves and it was enough to keep me warm. But my support crew were freezing. I'll be bringing a gas heater this year.

tektek

Likes Dirt
From what i could see, no showers available for those wanting to camp, come to think of it I didn't even spot a public toilet around the event centre.
Hi Quiggs,

One more question regarding food/drink etc. Do we need to provide our own and place it in a designated area on the day or are there feeding stations we can stop to refill/grab a energy bar? I have read the wombat24 website however cannot see anything regarding this.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
TekTek,
you will need to supply both your own food and table etc, find a nice flat or slight downhill spot to set up the table. Never put your stop on an uphill where possible, too hard to get going again.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Most people bring some kind of quickshade. And you'll need to bring everything you think you or your crew will need. Table, chairs, bedding, tent, lighting, food, water, cooking gear, sunscreen, insect repellent, heating and about a million other things I've forgotten.

MJG

Likes Dirt
First weather forecasts for the race weekend are looking good - partly cloudy and mild temperatures: min about 9 C, max in the low-mid 20s C.

Russell...360

Likes Dirt
Online Entrys Close Wedensday 3rd at Midnight

Hi all,

We are all set for the weekend with a new live timing crew, DJ's live music and Holgate brew's.
There are also still rooms at www.cammeraywaters.com.au

Online entry's close tomorrow night.
You can still enter on the day

Any other questions give me a call.
cheers
Russell

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
We are looking forward to the event in a big way... couple of pairs, couple of solos. Not so sure about this forecast of rain, though it's so dusty and dry right now some rain will be a good thing... just not 10mm !

MJG

Likes Dirt
We are looking forward to the event in a big way... couple of pairs, couple of solos. Not so sure about this forecast of rain, though it's so dusty and dry right now some rain will be a good thing... just not 10mm !
16.5 mm of rain fell overnight yesterday in Macedon. The ground is so dry it mostly just soaked straight in. I rode a lap of the course this evening and there was only one minor puddle that's easily bypassed. Should be good for the weekend.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
16.5 mm of rain fell overnight yesterday in Macedon. The ground is so dry it mostly just soaked straight in. I rode a lap of the course this evening and there was only one minor puddle that's easily bypassed. Should be good for the weekend.
Sound great. What's the latest weather forecast?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
The tracks hold up so well nowadays Aaron, the place would benefit from some rain over the next day or so.

Shitty that I am missing the race this yr really enjoyed the track last yr, have fun

quiggs

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Thanks Quiggs. Not worried about the track, it's me who doesn't hold up well to the rain.
But those odds sound ok to me.