VIC Wombat 24 hour 6/7 December 2014

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
I can see that there's some discussion going on about this event on another thread, but probably more appropriate to keep it in here.
I agree that the course was great for a 24hr. Not too much climbing in it so more achievable by a wider range of rider abilities. A different night lap would be great to keep the interest up, but also there's some value in riding the same circuit in the dark when you are tired that you already know well from having ridden it all day.
I'm not sure that having even more categories or race formats run in conjunction with the 24hr would do the event any good in terms of participation. Besides being logistically more difficult for the organisers to work out timing and placings etc. it just dilutes the numbers that you have in each of the categories and it just becomes embarrassing when there are only 3 people in each category (or less!) I remember last year only the first 2 place getters in each category were being called up at presentations, even when there were more riders in that category. Not a nice feeling for those who may have busted their hump to come third.
I would rather see an event where all energies were put into getting as many people to race as possible in fewer categories. If it is a 24 hour race keep it a 24 hour race. It means more competitive racing, more incentive to train and race well, and more satisfying for those who complete the event.
I think it has already been mentioned before that the live timing during the event (or lack of) was less than desirable so hopefully that will be addressed for this year.

Russell...360

Likes Dirt
Wombat 24 pre ride days

Hi all,

We will be doing some wombat 24 pre course rides October / November.
Note the track used in the race is not the normal wombat loop.

if interested contact me on 0423388167
cheers
Russell

Russell...360

Likes Dirt
Pre Ride Saturday 15th November

Heading out to wombat next Saturday at 2pm to ride the 24hour track.
If anyone is keen text me on 0423388167
cheers
Russell

Russell...360

Likes Dirt
20 Free Entry's into Wombat 24

We are giving away 20 Free entry's into Wombat 24.... to claim contact admin@wombat24.com
This is the course map for anyone wanting to check it out... note the track marked Yellow is riding the wombat track backwards so give way to other riders and use caution in that section.. w24 map.JPG

MJG

Likes Dirt
The Cammeray Waters resort will most likely also be closed to MTB riding until the race weekend. Use Taylor Rd to cut from the 1 km to go point to where the course exits the resort, just west of the Ford Track intersection. There is a farm gate in the resort fence and a minor MTB track going south.

Last edited:

matty be

Likes Bikes
The Cammeray Waters resort will most likely also be closed to MTB riding until the race weekend. Use Taylor Rd to cut from the 1 km to go point to where the course exits the resort, just west of the Ford Track intersection. There is a farm gate in the resort fence and a minor MTB track going south.
:closed_2:
you're correct MJG, cammeray is closed to all MTB activity until race weekend, thanks for highlighting and offering directions to avoid this area

gpmtb

Likes Bikes
So this 24 hour caper....

So this wombat 24 hr will be my first 24 hour.....its been a last minute thing and not sure what i have got myself into here, but luckily I do not suffer from lofty expectations! Some tips on the basics would be great in regard to this event. Can you use multiple bikes through the course of the 24 hours (surprised to see this seems to be the case in other 24 hour racing)? In terms of charging lights - is there any capacity in transition area to charge some lights (just trying to plan for how I could light up the full night period in the unlikely event I could see it all through) during the event?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So this wombat 24 hr will be my first 24 hour.....its been a last minute thing and not sure what i have got myself into here, but luckily I do not suffer from lofty expectations! Some tips on the basics would be great in regard to this event. Can you use multiple bikes through the course of the 24 hours (surprised to see this seems to be the case in other 24 hour racing)? In terms of charging lights - is there any capacity in transition area to charge some lights (just trying to plan for how I could light up the full night period in the unlikely event I could see it all through) during the event?
good luck, great course, great vibe, you've probably picked the best event to start your quest to be a solo warrior.

yes multiple bikes, they had a charge area last time if I recall.

give yourself a good feed/hydration plan, support team and work out what pace you can sustain in maybe 6 hour blocks. look at overall ks, average speed & elevation.

so last year's wombat was 1 lap = 150 metres climbing for 16ks.

I did the 6x6 with an average speed of 15 - 16kph, so 100k + 900 metres climbing in 6 hours - that was on fresh legs of course. was able to do that again in next 6 but of course pretty good having a big rest in between. yes soft I know.

24 hrs would be another story of course;
at that pace it would be 3600 metres climbed in 24 hours and 400k - yep that would be tough, but impressive.

Last edited:

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
So this wombat 24 hr will be my first 24 hour.....its been a last minute thing and not sure what i have got myself into here, but luckily I do not suffer from lofty expectations! Some tips on the basics would be great in regard to this event.
Here's a good tip; you don't have to race/ride continuously the full 24 hours if you don't want to.. If you want to 'enjoy' it, perhaps plan to sleep midnight till 6am?

tektek

Likes Dirt
Accomodation and Meals - Cammeary Waters

Hi All,

I have signed up for the 24hr (6X6 Solo). I had a few questions for previous participates who started at Cammeray Waters:

1. How are the rooms at the resort, comfortable? Do they have aircon/private ensuite?
2. There was talk about meals being booked, are they worth it?
3. Do they offer an area to lock up your bike overnight while I wait for the start the next day?

Marx

Likes Dirt
Is the event info pack available on-line prior to the event (or even to those who have not entered yet), for those who would like to scope the logistics of the venue?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I have signed up for the 24hr (6X6 Solo). I had a few questions for previous participates who started at Cammeray Waters:

1. How are the rooms at the resort, comfortable? Do they have aircon/private ensuite?
2. There was talk about meals being booked, are they worth it?
3. Do they offer an area to lock up your bike overnight while I wait for the start the next day?
1. I sorted out a room for my support crew last year and although they were appreciative of the room they were very glad I paid because it was far too much for what you get. The pictures on their website definitely aren't recent pictures of the rooms. Room had ensuite and aircon although personally make sure the heater works!

2. Food apparently was over priced and not great. Better off sorting out some food or head into Woodend (10-15mis drive) and goto to the Vic Hotel for a feed. If you have access to a tent camp out in the paddock, there is bucket loads of space.

3. Don't think so there will be very little people about I wouldn't be too worried about anything going missing

Quiggs

quiggs

Likes Dirt
IMHO
Warm clothes, it can be freezing overnight, last year was the I coldest I have been on a bike in a 24hr race including races I have done in Canberra in April and October.

The start will be a Lemans run start, how far too run well that depends on where you leave your bike, leave it as close as you can to the actual run start therefore you don't have to run as far. You can have as many bikes as you want. There is facilities to charge light batteries onsite, try to save turning your lights on until you actually need to. Just because the organisers say lights have to be on your bike doesn't necessarily mean they need to be turn on.

Just pace yourself, if that mean you deliberately are last at the end of the start lap well so be it. You can then gauge your pace from there. Keep eating, sounds simple but is difficult to maintain, find spots on the track where you can eat every lap, e.g. not in the paddock straight after transition.

On your bikes have as close to new brake pads, chain etc before you start,if your suspension needs servicing get it done also before the race. It's a big loop of a lap, Wombat, and there is no easy way back to transition other than follow the race track back. So ensuring drivetrain is as good as new and that while your out there you look after not only you but your bike as well.

hope that helps
quiggs

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. I sorted out a room for my support crew last year and although they were appreciative of the room they were very glad I paid because it was far too much for what you get. The pictures on their website definitely aren't recent pictures of the rooms. Room had ensuite and aircon although personally make sure the heater works!

2. Food apparently was over priced and not great. Better off sorting out some food or head into Woodend (10-15mis drive) and goto to the Vic Hotel for a feed. If you have access to a tent camp out in the paddock, there is bucket loads of space.

3. Don't think so there will be very little people about I wouldn't be too worried about anything going missing

Quiggs
food ...... didn't want to say it but for an event that attracts quite a few people and a great opportunity to market the resort ..... well it was borderline (now what's my English mate call it) ah yes 'stodge'.

no wait a minute, we're mountain bikers, we'd be happy cooking up a wombat. or just eating stuff raw.

tektek

Likes Dirt

Quiggs
Hi Quiggs,

Thanks for the comments. With camping is their showers etc available for the campers? I will also probably get dinner in town at the Hotel.