working week 8hr 2009?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
could nsw mtb take up the slac. i know you and steve had talked about staging some enduros
Maybe... it would be hard for us to mobilise something formal this year, and at the end of the day we'd need a promotor to organise it.

there are a number of different series this year though:

* Rocky Trail Promotions Grand Prix Series (though I think these are mostly 6hrs?)
* Wannaride 8 1/4 hr series.

It's hard to make a series of existing promotors as we would need to ask them for a slice (to pay for well... things related to the series). Some have clearly indicated they have no intention of agreeing to such a thing as they see no benefit to them, which is a shame.

Cheers
Gonz

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rocky trail are doing the 12 hour but the grand prix series is only 4 hours this year, but perhaps that made that decision to appear different to wws im sure they would go to an 8 hour if there was no wws

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Rocky trail are doing the 12 hour but the grand prix series is only 4 hours this year, but perhaps that made that decision to appear different to wws im sure they would go to an 8 hour if there was no wws
Its not worth traveling far for a 4hr...an 8hr is almost worth driving for, a 12hr is and I'd go anywhere for a 24hr :)

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I think a series makes things more formal. If you go to one race in a series you have an understanding of the quality of the event, both quality of organisation and rider levels. So if you go to a race and see that they have made a good well organised event with serious riders and weekend warriors raceing then you know that the rest of the series will be similar. This is why I think a series is good, but others may disagree.

Also are people talking about a general enduro series (3-24hrs) or just some type of 8 hour series? Im just refering to a general enduro series

gixer7

Likes Dirt
A formal series is I think what riders want. A one off race is fine but a series gives you the chance to measure your improvement, face off against other teams that beat you in the last race, race against your regular riding buddies etc etc.

Personally, I think for 2009 it is either BOE or nothing. With an already crowded racing calendar I don't see how things could be organised & coordinated in time for anything else to be organised.

But I reckon the groundwork could be laid this year in preparation for a club run series in 2010. Get sponsors on board, get the word out for volunteers (yes I would be prepared to put my hand up for that), liase with other clubs to ensure as few date clashes as possible and whatever else needs to be done.

The demand for this series is(was) out there. All people really want is to know whats going on and have dates/info etc locked in as early as possible.

Looking at the first 2 races of the season numbers are definitely down on last year which is a shame as I can see the series dying a slow death due to the complete lack of any info on it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
I think the WWS is popular because it's a series. You know that you have X races to do. The 8 hour format fits in well in a day. You can travel a couple / few hours, race for the day, travel home and whilst it's a long day the 8 hours make it a worthwhile journey.

It's probably why the XC state series isn't a punters event. Not many would drive largeish distances for a sprint race, but lots have travelled largeish distances to race the WWS events.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
A state or national 8hr series would be cool. Where you race in the coolest places all around the state or country. And I think riders should get to vote for the fav places to determine venues :)

ebuk

Likes Dirt
A state or national 8hr series would be cool. Where you race in the coolest places all around the state or country. And I think riders should get to vote for the fav places to determine venues :)
+1 state enduro series. National may not be feasible for these zany economic times.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Thats fine, assuming the clubs associated with the tracks that get nominated are interested in hosting an event.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Thats fine, assuming the clubs associated with the tracks that get nominated are interested in hosting an event.
Yeah I can' really see the voting option working. But the tracks used for the WWS last year were all a heap of fun and I would not complain if they were all used again.

There's races going on everywhere at the moment so if you have a particular track you wanna race on there's a good chance you will get to in some format or another.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know, but I spoke to Stu on the weekend and he indicated that they were happening and dates will be announced for the rest of the series very shortly.
Very shortly covers a multitude of differing times. I see very shortly as a week where some seem to see it as a month or when i get around to it. im seeing a lot of MTB promoters who are either announcing dates very soon announcing venues very soon or announcing if their race is on very soon. It means little if there isn't genuine communication from the event promoter to its loyal or not so loyal followers. All i know is that if a promoter came through right now and said im having this many races at these venues entries open on x date they would make an absolute killing