Yarra Trails regulars

I've been missing my daily yarra trail fix, plus all the gossip on the latest flashers. How are the trails?

I'm off to you yang today the weather and conditions look great!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I've been missing my daily yarra trail fix, plus all the gossip on the latest flashers. How are the trails?

I'm off to you yang today the weather and conditions look great!
The trails are terrific Raffa- especially south of the pipe bridge. I had I lovely ride there yesterday, without incident. I did see two very friendly and stunningly beautiful female trail runners who held onto my hand get past me on a very narrow spot. I was up against the embankment with my bike and they past on the river side. I offered my hand for support and they both took it and thanked me. It was seriously the least I could do. Just a shame I was wearing gloves, you know that skin to skin contact with a beautiful random stranger deep in the bush all sweating and wonton. And there were two of them and only one of me.

Congratulations to the British Lions, Wallabies you were fucking hopeless, Robbie Deans fuck off please, Ewin McKenzie please

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I did see two very friendly and stunningly beautiful female trail runners who held onto my hand get past me on a very narrow spot. I was up against the embankment with my bike and they past on the river side. I offered my hand for support and they both took it and thanked me. It was seriously the least I could do. Just a shame I was wearing gloves, you know that skin to skin contact with a beautiful random stranger deep in the bush all sweating and wonton. And there were two of them and only one of me.
That 29er is paying off for you already, you know the ladies like them big (wheels of course).

Rode Hans to Banksia yesterday and all fine and dry with the exception of below the dam at the start of Hans and a few small puddles just before you ride out onto the leaky dam wall.

There was a tree down near the log rollover in the section between odyssey and Westerfolds, it's moved; however, when the top of the tree falls out of the other trees it could be moved to create a log over feature.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hey AC

Want to swap your UST ardents for a new Schwalbe Hans Damf. I just can't for the life of me get it to seal on my Easton rims and I don't do tubes

Chicks dig big wheels and big , old sweating blokes I reckon

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey AC

Want to swap your UST ardents for a new Schwalbe Hans Damf. I just can't for the life of me get it to seal on my Easton rims and I don't do tubes

JD, do you mean you can't get the tyres to seal first up at all, or that once you get them up they do not stay inflated? If the first, then use a compressor or a buddy on a track pump. If the latter, I doubt it would be compatibility of rim and tyre, but may be, otherwise a bit extra Stan's plus smear a bit of Stan's around the bead then inflate.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
JD, do you mean you can't get the tyres to seal first up at all, or that once you get them up they do not stay inflated? If the first, then use a compressor or a buddy on a track pump. If the latter, I doubt it would be compatibility of rim and tyre, but may be, otherwise a bit extra Stan's plus smear a bit of Stan's around the bead then inflate.
I don't have a compressor, I did have one but it blew up. I have been using a floor pump and co2 cartridges. The Hans just won't seal were as all other UST or tubeless ready ones do- most with a floor pump. The Hans is not as tight as Nick
All Maxxis and Geax tyres Are fine- it is just those pesky Germans

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I don't have a compressor, I did have one but it blew up. I have been using a floor pump and co2 cartridges. The Hans just won't seal were as all other UST or tubeless ready ones do- most with a floor pump. The Hans is not as tight as Nick
All Maxxis and Geax tyres Are fine- it is just those pesky Germans
Big JD I have found with the shwabble tyres(nics, ralphs and rons) to get them to seal with a floor pump if you follow the stans video on the no tubes site they inflate. The most critical part I found was pre lubing the rim with soapy water and slapping the tyre vigouously onto rim (going round the rim a few times). After this they aired up easy with a track pump. prior to it they didnt seal at all. I have Stans arch ex rims.

Was that you I passed yesterday on the boulie at between Studley park and the steps back onto the ST. I was heading towards the monument climb area. havent done that for over 10 years. what fun.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Hey AC

Is it a Trailstar or Pacestar one?

To get mine to seal I put tube in for an hour or so, deflated it, took the tube out leaving one side of the tyre still on the bead lock. Then valve core, Stans, a bit of soapy water, and a floor pump. Have done the F&R this way, not a problem.

They can be a bit of a prick to get on when new because the sidewall is relatively stiff and doesn't want to slide out of the centre channel of the rim. However, having one side already on the bead lock before starting to pump makes a huge difference.

I’d be surprised if the technique above doesn’t work on the Havens.

Let me know if you need a 29er tube.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Big JD I have found with the shwabble tyres(nics, ralphs and rons) to get them to seal with a floor pump if you follow the stans video on the no tubes site they inflate. The most critical part I found was pre lubing the rim with soapy water and slapping the tyre vigouously onto rim (going round the rim a few times). After this they aired up easy with a track pump. prior to it they didnt seal at all. I have Stans arch ex rims.

Was that you I passed yesterday on the boulie at between Studley park and the steps back onto the ST. I was heading towards the monument climb area. havent done that for over 10 years. what fun.
I'm not Dicking around with vigorous slapping around the rim- give tyres that seal with a floor pump for crying out loud

What were you riding. Are you the guy I aske if you knew we're the pump track above the boat house was?
I bomb down Monument Climb not up it

Last edited:

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Happy to volunteer to help get the tyres on if you need, just ask and I'll make time for this week. Reckon one bloke cranking on a track pump with the other managing the beading on rm should do it. Worst case can rock into LBC for loan of compressor.

valium

Likes Dirt
just put hans dampfufjfh on my dakar. pain in the ass. Compressor got it on but took some effort, for the other used a co2 can. Easy as pie. Now that it's on, awesome tire.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
It's the rim - Stan's rims are fine and Nobbys are fine too just the dodgy German Hans

Anyone have a 2.25 TR Nobby (not the soft one thanks) or a Maxis Ardent 2.25 UST they want to swap for my Hans Bump

Last edited:

valium

Likes Dirt
So I typically ride the trails in the weekends north from the gipps st bridge. Find lots of good trails through to about burke road, but not much past there - is there much to find in that next stretch, or some pavement needed until i get further NE?

Big AC

Likes Dirt
So I typically ride the trails in the weekends north from the gipps st bridge. Find lots of good trails through to about burke road, but not much past there - is there much to find in that next stretch, or some pavement needed until i get further NE?
When you get to Bourke Rd cross the river and continue upstream. When you get to the wooden fence with a gap for the bike path (just after you go under Bourke Rd) look to your right and you’ll see the ST.

From there the ST continues all the way Banksia St in sections between the river and the bike path (you’ve no doubt read the Banksia St stories around here).

After you exit the ST near Banksia St go under the bridge and follow the bike path past the sports grounds (turn right at the kids play ground – the bike path splits here). Keep riding upstream on the gravel bike path until you get to Banyule flats and then look to your right as you get to the end of the last sports oval and you’ll see the trail (it's relatively clear to see). Keep taking the right hand fork on the ST which is on the open ground and keep looking right to see where the real Banyule flats ST in the tees starts (it’s not too hard to find).

Again there are sections of ST between the bike path and the river all the way to Westerfolds park.

Beyond Westerfolds there is Hans loop and a bit more ST. However, from Gipps Rd this could be a big ride.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
What were you riding. Are you the guy I aske if you knew we're the pump track above the boat house was?
I bomb down Monument Climb not up it
I didnt speak to you just rode past on the other side of the boulie. Saw a big bloke on a black MTB and thought it might be you. I was on a gunmetal grey Anthem x 29er. I might go down the monument next time

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Beyond Westerfolds there is Hans loop and a bit more ST. However, from Gipps Rd this could be a big ride.
Hey and g'day Big AC, there is heaps beyond Westerfolds as the boys will tell you, heading through Petty's Orchard twd the Mullum Mullum loop including Pak Orchards, North Warrandyte etc, which brings you back on the other side of the freeway back into Ivanhoe. If you start at Abbottsford and do all the singletrack back to the start points an 84km loop.

It is the same route Urban Epic that Brucey leads. Check out http://flathilldirtcrits.blogspot.com.au/ for more details. I don't use a GPS, Garminor other, I use memory on the ride, sorry.

Mars.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Hey and g'day Big AC, there is heaps beyond Westerfolds as the boys will tell you, heading through Petty's Orchard twd the Mullum Mullum loop including Pak Orchards, North Warrandyte etc, which brings you back on the other side of the freeway back into Ivanhoe. If you start at Abbottsford and do all the singletrack back to the start points an 84km loop.

It is the same route Urban Epic that Brucey leads. Check out http://flathilldirtcrits.blogspot.com.au/ for more details. I don't use a GPS, Garminor other, I use memory on the ride, sorry.

Mars.
Hey Mars,

I know the Mullum Mullum stuff (the ST near the freeway tunnel with the slippery wooden bridge at the bottom and the stuff next to the creek up to Park Rd) and "the missing link" fire roads.

I've only ridden the section between Heidelberg - Warrandyte Rd and the missing link once or twice on the bike path, is there a lot of ST in there? Google Maps seems to show something in there.

Also, when you get to Tindals Rd for the missing link do you go through the undergrowth right next to the creek to get to the fire road or go up the street (Raymond Elliot Ct) and go in under the power lines?

Thanks for the info.

AC

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Getting bored? It is quiet around here.

Is the HD on yet or do we need to organise a YTer’s working bee at your place this weekend?