You know you're getting old when ...

The disk popped out last december lifting at work, nothing too special there. Removing a fan out of a roof cavity, awkward lift on a ladder with no room.

What really screwed me was all the stretches I did over christmas break, then going back to work into normal duties. It got progressively worse untill 5 weeks ago I went onto work cover, had the next five weeks off. I’ve just gone back to work this week on heavily reduced duties (admin work and workshop superviser).

Basically the stretches weakened an already weak area, plus the doctor not giving me any notes or reports on my injury for work, and my work throwing me back into the deep end, and me feeling ok. When you have a bulging disk, you can recapture it, but it’s going to pop out easier than before. Soooooo I kept going back to work and damaging it further. It’s a funny injury because you feel okay at the time. It wasn’t untill later things problems started presenting.

It’s been a real struggle on my end to be taken seriously by the gp’s, and it wasn’t untill I cracked it in a visit and forced the gp to fill out work cover forms that I could actually get some referalls for MRI’s, a neuro surgeon consultancy (happening next monday), and have insurance finally pay for my physio (I’m already out of pocket $1200 since january, and smashed through my own private health fund).

3 seperate gp’s, two physio’s, one osteo, and on acupuncturist later. Ffs

I don’t know how the hamstrings been damaged, probably from overcompensating for a damaged back (or the back got damaged overcompensating for a torn hamstring). But I have an MRI booked in for tuesday to have a look at that.

Fun times. Good news is I have to ride 4 times a week (smooth trails only) as the pedalling is unreal for nerve movement.
Yowser, not even a bike related injury, good luck with the recovery !!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I know :( Wasn’t doing anything exciting at all.

Recovery is getting there, slowly. Such a long process.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Bulging L5 s1 impacting nerve
+1 for that unfortunately. 8mm protrusion at L4/L5 pressing on the sciatic nerve for me, which does wonderful things for leg cramping & pain walking / standing / lying down.

Mind you, my journey seems to have gone a lot smoother than yours. Physio was pretty sure initially it was a disc issue and work played ball and got me a sit/stand desk. Later when it flared up & I couldn't sleep due to the pain for a few days, the doctor was pretty quick to send me off for an MRI & give me an anti-inflammatory script, & with the MRI result recommend CT guided nerve-root cortisol injections (now if that doesn't sound like a barrel of fun, I just don't know what does). I'm holding off on that at the moment as the anti-infammatories seem to be doing the job pretty well & may yet get it fully under control, but we'll see.

On the plus side I've got a licence to ride as much as I want, so it's not holding me back there. I did get told to scale back on the gardening though. It was a tough sell to my wife to convince her the physio had told me to ride more but not do the gardening :D.

Good luck with your recovery! Back pain can be quite the pain the arse (almost literally).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ha yeah, work flipped out when I told them I have to ride, but can’t be on the tools for awhile. They actually called my physio and he had to explain why riding is a good thing hahaha.

I've been given the ok for a ct guided injection as well, although the physio has said it's been proven that long term gains are better without it so I'm holding off on it for now. Will see what the neurosurgeon says on Monday.

good luck with your back too mate!

we should start an injury thread....... at 25 I feel like I'm too young to be clogging up this........ back to Knuckles lack of hair!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sorry to hear this. Take your time and recover properly. Avoid any longer term problems and try to take it easy.

Tell the boss I said you would be one hell of a foreman / site co-ordinator / manager.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

slowmick

38-39"
When the foods you happily enjoy now give you gas or indigestion or both. Bought my first pack of Quick.eze. am sure it won't be the last :(

Might need to get a dog for the other end.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Filling out my travel diary, go out to the car to get the odometer reading. Know I will forget it so I write it down on some paper. Get distracted coming back in. 10 minutes later cannot find where I put the piece of paper. Back out to the car...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Filling out my travel diary, go out to the car to get the odometer reading. Know I will forget it so I write it down on some paper. Get distracted coming back in. 10 minutes later cannot find where I put the piece of paper. Back out to the car...
That sort of thing is a daily occurrence for me... today for example, heading out to the shops to grab a coffee and the wife hands me a list with three items to get from Woolies whilst I'm there. Of course, I leave the list at home and then have to call her when I get to the shops because I can't remember the THREE things on the list.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
That sort of thing is a daily occurrence for me... today for example, heading out to the shops to grab a coffee and the wife hands me a list with three items to get from Woolies whilst I'm there. Of course, I leave the list at home and then have to call her when I get to the shops because I can't remember the THREE things on the list.
Twice in the last few days I have found myself on the wrong side of a security area at work, without my security pass.
Second time I found it inside the washing machine going round with the overalls I had just taken off.!

Damn you 40 year old brain, don't quit on me now... we still got heaps of shit to do.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I had a wheel alignment today & whilst everything was exactly lovely on the machine, the steering wheel wasn't super perfectly centered. Cocked to the right a tad.

Drove all the way home, noticing it...knowing I can fix something like that in 2 mins at home (LHS tie-rod undone X (swing of spanner measured on ruler), RHS tightened the same). No effective change to alignment, just a good'n straight wheel.

So pulled into the driveway, started the process & a mate turned up at the end of his MTB ride to show me some sweet eagle vs falcon vid he'd shot.

Then back to the process. Which way was the wheel cocked again?

Slowman

Likes Dirt
When you walk into the doctor's clinic and the receptionists ask you if you are having chest pains :( though I probably looked pretty sick - I was I had pneumonia. The first question was even funnier, "are you ok?" "Erm, I wouldn't be here if I were."