You Yangs MTB Park

INTENSE DHER

Five cans short of a six pack
Alrighty ... Few things i need peoples opinions on :p

Had my first crack at track 10 on last Sunday's ride day, that double drop thingo ... how should i tackle it? Any suggestions on lines? and also the rock rolls, is there a "quicker" line over them or is it just as straight forward as i seem to do 'em? :p All up, LOVE track 10, though can't seem to help but think that track 12 is still the better track, especially for racing. But my mind will have to be made up once i've riden the whole thing!

Also, on the rock slab on track 12 ... there's that big ass pile of rocks at the bottom that seem pointlessly dangerous, is there actually any point to em? I'm kinda scared of em after seeing a guy break his ankle hitting them a few ride days ago :eek: YES I AM A LITTLE BITCH!

But all in all, i'm loving the Youies at the moment and everyone that has helped make it what it is :)
no track ten owns its the farstest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staunch

Eats Squid
Also, on the rock slab on track 12 ... there's that big ass pile of rocks at the bottom that seem pointlessly dangerous, is there actually any point to em?
Yeah, on the ride day my mate stacked into them and tore a ligament in his hand, you gotta take that rock slab just right ;)

I'm pretty sure they're to stop people taking the old B-line around the rock slab??

Last edited:

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The pile of rocks is an armoured landing, it makes the landing more durable and stops it being washed away from over use and water erosion.

There is nothing difficult about that landing, just keep off the brakes and let the bike run from the top, you'll shoot out the bottom and clear most of them anyway.

Staunch

Eats Squid
I think he means the pile next to where you land, not at the bottom of the drop of the slab

Last edited:

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no track ten owns its the farstest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you’re not serious … For your sake.

The pile of rocks is an armoured landing, it makes the landing more durable and stops it being washed away from over use and water erosion. There is nothing difficult about that landing, just keep off the brakes and let the bike run from the top, you'll shoot out the bottom and clear most of them anyway.
I think he mean the pile next to where you land, no at the bottom of the drop of the slab
Yep :) The one near the bottom! Sorry, should’ve made it clearer :eek:

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
funny, i'd never even noticed that pile of rocks there until the talk of that guy that broke his ankle there. i guess the thing is, take the slab a bit slower if you don't feel totally in control and do your best not to go off there! i've never even felt like going off the side, guess i have a good line then!!:rolleyes: However if anyone is seriously put off by them get together and take it up with trav, i'm sure he'd be cool with you guys getting out there and relocating them to a more appropriate location!!

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm sure he'd be cool with you guys getting out there and relocating them to a more appropriate location!!
Yeah, he'd love for people to start moving obstacles because they're in the way of someone who can't keep their bike on a trail. ;)

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And maybe a spoonful of concrete before you head off :p
I'll have to approve this comment too actually :eek: :p

Dude, next time your out riding just ask someone who is riding the sections without problems if they will show you there lines. Im positive most people would be glad to help.
Yeah, normally would ... but i'll most likely be heading out sometime on a weekday, so there's generally less people out there. Thought i'd ask on here for any tips before i try it :) ;)

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yeah, he'd love for people to start moving obstacles because they're in the way of someone who can't keep their bike on a trail. ;)
Yeah I know, but that's why i said if it's a real issue for a few people, get together and speak to trav about it. Can't hurt to raise an issue if there is one. Personally i don't think it's worth the bother, I've only heard of 1 or 2 people having a problem with it, and didn't even know it was there till recently!

I'd suggest keeping your mind off it completely, keeping your speed in check and looking at where you're going only - ie the exit from the slab - and you'll be fine

Garrath

Likes Dirt
The quarry

Is anything mtb related happening within the quarry itself? I couldn't but help notice the removal/leveling of dirt on the weekend? I gotta say that the You Yangs is really developing into one hell of a mtb playground. Awesome work.

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
Is anything mtb related happening within the quarry itself? I couldn't but help notice the removal/leveling of dirt on the weekend? I gotta say that the You Yangs is really developing into one hell of a mtb playground. Awesome work.
They're filling the damn/quarry back in but nothing to do with the mountain bike trails at this stage. Thou there was talk earlier on in the thread that a 4X track may be built there later on.

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
At the moment no, they are trying to re-claim that area and stop the erosion.

We have discussed the possibility of a 4x track after the dams are filled in.

J--A--C--K

Likes Bikes
hey dave'
are you guys going to be working this weekend cause ill be free to lend a hand looking forward to see what you have done since i left.