Zerode DH Bike 2011

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I see, is there much benifit to running a smaller chainring if the frame is still lower.?
The chainring pictured would provide the correct gearing. As pictured I'm guessing the fastest gear is still higher than a 38x11combo. and lower probably lower than 36x36, but don't quote me on that. I'd say you could get away with running smaller chainring if cranks allowed.

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Thanks Sprocket, I had a look but couldn't see anything about the gearbox.
If we allow that it is a Shimano Alfine rear hub then the replacement cost would be $317 (or $212 from CRC). That makes for an amazingly cheap replacement cost. You could afford to have a spare in the toolbox, even though damage is unlikely.
It certainly makes the bike a hell of a lot more crash worthy.

No Skid Marks

specs are out.
Head angle 64
Seat tube angle 57.3
Top tube length 23
Chain stays 16.25
BB height under 14"
Head tube dia 1.5
Seat tube dia 30.9
Travel 9.15"
Wheel spacing 150mm

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
If it is using an Alfine hub, why does the chain need to be fed upwards before being fed towards the hub?
I think the Alfine hub is located above the Cranks; being used as a gearbox rather than a hub. At a quoted weight of 1590 grams for the Alfine, centralising the mass is a pretty good idea.

If I've completely got all of this wrong, I'm sure NSM will sort me out.

No Skid Marks

I think the Alfine hub is located above the Cranks; being used as a gearbox rather than a hub. At a quoted weight of 1590 grams for the Alfine, centralising the mass is a pretty good idea.

If I've completely got all of this wrong, I'm sure NSM will sort me out.
On the money. Alfine inboard. Centralizes weight, reduces unsprung weight, making suspension more active and tunable. God I hope the new Alfine's as good as a Rohloff, or at least close.
Chain going up to hub/pivot isolates suspension from pedal forces and vica versa.

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im assuming if the alfine is in the frame you can still use a standard hub for the rear wheel (single cog)? eg: if i was using deemax wheels etc?

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
God I hope the new Alfine's as good as a Rohloff, or at least close.
It's Shimano, so it will do the job. It wont be as nice and precise as a Rohloff, but they are 1/5 or so of the price. I wonder if they will use the 8 speed or the new 11 speed which was supposed to be coming late last year.

evObda2, I can't see any reason why you couldn't use a standard wheel with an SS conversion. Of course using a dedicated SS hub would give you a greater flange to flange width; resulting in a stronger wheel.

rone

Eats Squid
Of course using a dedicated SS hub would give you a greater flange to flange width; resulting in a stronger wheel.
Are 150 x 12 single speed hubs available? I'd guess no, but i'm sure somebody will prove me wrong.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
My bad. I forgot about the whole 150 mm thing for a second.
I'm sure there will hubs available soon. I did a search and found a listing for a Santa Cruz Bullit with a 150 mm SS hub, but could not get access to the page.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Sprocket, I had a look but couldn't see anything about the gearbox.
If we allow that it is a Shimano Alfine rear hub then the replacement cost would be $317 (or $212 from CRC). That makes for an amazingly cheap replacement cost. You could afford to have a spare in the toolbox, even though damage is unlikely.
It certainly makes the bike a hell of a lot more crash worthy.
Unfortunately it's probably not that simple. They will have needed to modify the hub to be able to mount it in the frame so carrying a spare probably won't be quite as easy.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately it's probably not that simple. They will have needed to modify the hub to be able to mount it in the frame so carrying a spare probably won't be quite as easy.
Hopefully it would just be axle mods and the output is a sprocket mounted to the centrelock disc mount. You can tell I'm grasping at straws a bit.

I spent some time sketching gearbox DH frames using an Alfine hub in '07, but it was all mental wanking as I never took it further than pen and paper.
I'm utterly delighted to see someone has taken it far further than I would have been capable of. A sealed, centralised drivetrain for a DH or Playbike is a brilliant idea. Especially one that uses a nearly off the shelf, cheap part.

No Skid Marks

Hopefully it would just be axle mods and the output is a sprocket mounted to the centrelock disc mount. You can tell I'm grasping at straws a bit.

I spent some time sketching gearbox DH frames using an Alfine hub in '07, but it was all mental wanking as I never took it further than pen and paper.
I'm utterly delighted to see someone has taken it far further than I would have been capable of. A sealed, centralised drivetrain for a DH or Playbike is a brilliant idea. Especially one that uses a nearly off the shelf, cheap part.
Nah, chains are on the same side(none brake side), so spoke hole mounts would be the easiest soloution.
Doing final drive on the brake side means moving the brake.

Andrei

Likes Dirt
There is a 6" Carbon Zerode Trail/AM bike too.. Although this may not go into mass production

[/QUOTE]

That looks so hot, and it just simply has to be made!!!! Please keep us up to date!

song

Likes Dirt
the main problem with carbon is that it doesn't last long. Like the technology and stuff these days makes carbon a more stronger material than metal or alloys..... it may be strong but it's brittle, meaning it doesn't bend it cracks into two parts. After 10 years the carbon fibre gets old and has a high chance of just snapping.... :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: