WARNING - Pacific Park track dissapointing!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So you didnt ride Lithgow or Coffs Harbour rounds then.
Yeah rightio mate, now you're starting to sound like an arse.

Let other people have their opinion without being spoken to like they're stupid, please.

nucleon hawke

Likes Dirt
Just came back from the track... Not as bad as this thread has made it out to be.
If you keep your speed then the track is sorta flowy.... Dont mind it to much.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah rightio mate, now you're starting to sound like an arse.

Let other people have their opinion without being spoken to like they're stupid, please.
What like the rest of them have been speaking to me.

I take your point though.

TransitionPete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So you didnt ride Lithgow or Coffs Harbour rounds then.
No Unfortunately I havent got too yet :( I have ridden the many pacific park tracks, Dargle, Mt Stromlo, The tracks at Oxford. I rate this pacific park track highly. I enjoyed riding it today. Yes Lithgow Or Coffs might be better. But I havent ridden them. So I cannot rate them. Maybe Once i get to ride them I can say Yes there better but until then i cant rate them. Out of the tracks I have ridden I rate this track up there in the top ones. You dont like it and I do. We all have our own opinions

will have to back you up on that pete its a good track i had fun and i know i will tommrow. only downer was where i snapped my fork's in half AGEN .lol.
big thanks to the boys at the bike shed mortdale for hooking me up with a new set.
Shit Tinkers man. Were abouts did you snap them? And How did you snap them

VTSs350 you really wanna rub it in dont you! its your opinion, maybe you just prefer tracks where all you have to do is hold an and turn and not pedal, thats just you. so go build a track for us that isnt pedally and we'll come and race a state champs round on it and maybe if your lucky tell you its shit:)

good luck tommorow pete and tinks
Thanks Nick ;)

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
VTSs350 you really wanna rub it in dont you! its your opinion, maybe you just prefer tracks where all you have to do is hold an and turn and not pedal, thats just you. so go build a track for us that isnt pedally and we'll come and race a state champs round on it and maybe if your lucky tell you its shit:)

good luck tommorow pete and tinks
Mate read my previous post. I have stated I like a track that has a bit of everything. Fast, slow, pedalling, berms, off camber, tight and twisting jumps and drops. Combine all those things into a track and you have a winner. I loved lithgow and there was heaps of pedaling required, but the track had other things to offer.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone. Its not a personal attack in anyway shape or form. I thank those that have put the effort into building the track and organising the race, I just believe the design of the track is a little mis guided.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
READ THIS if you intend on posting in this thread:

We have all established that some people like track style A and others prefer track style B.

We have also established that no one here means anything personal, so no more personal attacks or shots at each other. Anyone who does this from now on, will get a holiday for a couple of days.

From here in, can we please leave the discussion to good and bad points of particular tracks, further feedback on Pacific Park and general discussion on track design and bulding.

Thank you.
johnny the firm but fair.

Maximus182

Likes Dirt
.....Age group

Can anyone confirm if i shoud be riding in under 17's or 19's????
i will be 17 in october, born on 26/10/1990.
cheers. :)

benji boy

Likes Dirt
i cannot agree with what people made this track out to be. At the start i was like yeh this is fun on my second run many line choices etc. but then on my 3,4,5,6 runs i was kind of over it so me and hawke walked up and looked at people riding every section and then had a chat and came down on the bus to have another 2 runs which were the best 2 runs of the day made the track so much faster and fun(er). Yes there are up hills but the downhill bits before them set you up nicely and all the downhill bits are nice and fast.... the only thing i didnt like to begin with was the 180 degree corner before the rock garden (still dont like this one) waste of a track and the 180 degree corner after(its fine now). Even if it does add time its still a bad idea.

Benji

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went to the track today, I found ti quite short but very good, short is different and it's a very different style track. Some constructive suggestions: it would have been possbile for a few more berms e.g. the sharp 180 degree right hander before the lefty into the rock garden. That would make it a bit flowier. Also I think a berm after the easier line between the two trees in the rock garden would make it crazy. Lastly a decent sized jump at the very finish would have been great, but all in all hands up to rick boyer who made a great track,which is challenging everyone I believe, the track is different but I really like it. Hope to see you all out there tommorrow!

Astrix Mat

Likes Bikes
[the track is brillant i dont know why everyone is having a winge about it im under 15 and i am enjoying it

Last edited:

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
hey guys i haven't ridden that many DH tracks but i thought PP was pretty cool. the short uphill bits meant that you had to have a bit of fitness aswell as just being able to handle the bike. i liked the hairpin corners. for those that dont want to pedal in a race on pushbikes then maybe race motorbikes instead? anyway i thought it was great. i got 10 runs in with time to spare for taking photos so well done to all the dudes driving the shuttles and all the organisers. turn-around time was heaps quick. oh and thanks to the bikeshed guys who are letting me borrow a seat and seatpost.
Anyway ive posted up some of the pics i took here http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=95253
see you all out there tomorrow.

jamesiscold

Likes Dirt
Just got back from the track today after the weekend of racing. Awsome weekend and well organised. I didnt like the track much at all. Some realy fun sections at the top, but i didnt like the uphill hair pin corners and such. Main problem was that it was too short 1.41 winning time, i think if the organisers had more time they could have done a better job. Just my opinion

ja_har

Likes Dirt
Pacific Park

My opinion, It was a great track, considering the site and small amount of elevation available meant it was a real challenge to make a decent track. Boyer and the Pylet guys built an great track that had so many types of terrain and required all bike skills to get a decent time, I actually think it was great test of bike skills that rewarded great riders. The short track meant you had to concentrate on maintianing speed and flow in all sections to get a decent time. Some prefer that challenge, others like super fast open tracks, each have their own preferences but if we rode the same style tracks all the time it would imo get boring.

Viva la difference

And finally a huge thanks to the all those involved in organising event, it was one of my most fun race weekends in ages and left me wanting more.

DNF

Likes Dirt
My Opinion, track was great.
First couple of runs i really really didnt like it, and wished i stayed home or went to help at Awaba, but eventually began to learn the track, get some good flow and speed going and it just got better and better.
there was abit of uphill but i dont have a problem with it, i found it challenging holding speed through it and finding the right spots to pedal, it's different, sometimes different is good.
Fittness IS a part of DH, as is finding flow, which i can't understand people complaining about no flow? learn the track, take the time to get off the bike and link up and learn lines. i dunno thats how i do it and seemed to work.
Awesome track, good work to the track builders.
And huge props to the bike shed! so many busted wheels.

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Sorry to rain on the parade of all those saying that lots of pedalling is good on a DH course, maybe you you check the UCI rules for a Downhill Course.

4.3.004 The course for a downhill must follow a descending route
4.3.005 The course should comprise varied terrain sections: narrow and broad tracks, woodland roads and
paths, field paths and rocky tracks. There should be a mixture of fast and technical sections. There
should be little emphasis on pedalling, but rather the technical skills of the riders should be tested
4.3.006 The length of the course and the duration of the event are determined as follows:
Minimum Maximum
Course length 1500 m 3500 m
Duration of the event 2 minutes 5 minutes
A race on a course ridable in a shorter time may only be held if it is the subject of an exemption
issued by the UCI mountain bike Commission.

Now I know thats hard whe we live on a pancake but maybe for the future rules should be put in place about elevation drop and length of courses at Championship races, to me running a major race on an untested track is a receipe for disarster(sp). The nationals were a good enough example of that.

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
I didn't mind the track it was certainly not the best track I have ridden but by far not the worst (namely some tracks in Sydney close to Manly which I have found very boring). It just required a different skill level.
A good weekends riding and racing to all the nay sayers you miss out on a another fun weekend hanging with friends and riding your bike and in the end I think that is mostly what it is about.
A big thanks to Marcus for letting me use his Specialized after I had a huge mechanical on my last practise run and went up for my race run on a borrow bike with Shimano rapid rise gears (I am use to Sram) and spinning my arse off cause i was scared to change gears for fear of going the wrong way but still manage a 2.05.somthing.
Congratulations to all the winners especially the one from CCOMTB.

hillbilli

Likes Bikes
The track was tops and compared to all the other tracks on the state series it was just as good. Variety is the spice of life, and the more terain you get to master the better rider you can become.
Hats off to all involved in building the track and running the race , it was an awesome event and congratulations to all the winners.

Last edited: