WARNING - Pacific Park track dissapointing!

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
The same could be said about PP.;)

And for all of you going with cars that might be a bit lower than normal or sports cars, HAVE FUN!!!!!
hahahhaa, I WISH I could make it out this weekend to see that. I was there videoing today and had the most fun getting to the finish....in the car.:)

Don't really think its constructive to whinge about the track, now; yet I do agree on many of the points mentioned. No doubt it will be constructive help for next time eh.

arpit

Banned
In defence of the original poster, and the track builders.

The downhill tracks I've ridden in Australia suck compared to the tracks overseas. Sorry to all you 'Aussie-Pride' proponents, but it's true.

However, I still think the trail builders are doing a great job.

How do you reconcile the two statements? It's simple. The trail builders are making the best of a bad situation.
The bad situation exists because Australia is flat. It's hard to make fast, long downhill tracks in a flat country.
This leads to a further problem - there isn't much commercial interest. In Livigno or Morzine firms operate chairlifts, and can make money. A chairlift at Ourimbah, Oxford Falls, Old Bathurst Road, Awaba, or Pacific park just wouldn't make money. Thus, firms with their big digging equipment, paid staff, and lobbying power aren't too interested in creating massive downhill tracks. At Mottolino, there are berms which are taller than me, and tabletops which are taller than my house. You just can't get those without paying people to build them!.

So, if noone pays people to construct the tracks, track building is left to amateurs with a passion - as volunteers.
It's unfair to expect volunteers to be able to build massive tracks. They can only spend limited amounts of time building. It's not laziness. They are merely honouring their responsibility to preserve their, and their family's well-being.

People have been distinguishing between constructive and destructive criticism in this thread. It is my submission that the original poster's criticism was very constructive. He identified specific issues which caused the track to bore him.

1. Only one proper burm (sic) (ie. difficult to carry speed through)
2. Do (sic) decent jumps or drops (not sufficiently challenging)
3. There is alot (sic) of uphill sections
4. The track doesnt (sic) flow well at all
5. The amount of pedaling (sic) required is more than a cross country ride.

This criticism would be USEFUL, not just to the event organisers, who might be baffled as to why their event isn't as popular as they imagined, but also to trackbuilders - both at pacific park and in other locations.

Oh, and by the way. It seems trendy for people to periodically post something to the effect of 'ha! You can't post! You aren't a trailbuilder."

Well, I'm not a trail builder. I've never been to a volunteer maintenance day. I don't care. I'm probably not going to go to one for a downhill track in the foreseeable future. I don't need to make excuses. I just can't justify spending that time on something which is a hobby, not a passion. Don't get all offended and angry by this - I'm just explicating what thousands of others in my position are expressing by their non-attendance.

Last edited:

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've heard a complaints about the track and what not.I have personally never ridden it.But if i did race,i know enough to ride my ht instead.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
The downhill tracks I've ridden in Australia suck.

I've never been to a volunteer maintenance day. I don't care. .
If people cared than the quality of trails would be far better. Statements about trail maintenance like the one above are a slap in the face to anybody who does turn up.

ALL MTB'ers have a responsibility to maintain trails. If you don't like it sell you bike and find a sport that has the wealth to provide facilities without needing volunteer help.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People have been distinguishing between constructive and destructive criticism in this thread. It is my submission that the original poster's criticism was very constructive. He identified specific issues which caused the track to bore him.

1. Only one proper burm (sic) (ie. difficult to carry speed through)
2. Do (sic) decent jumps or drops (not sufficiently challenging)
3. There is alot (sic) of uphill sections
4. The track doesnt (sic) flow well at all
5. The amount of pedaling (sic) required is more than a cross country ride.

This criticism would be USEFUL, not just to the event organisers, who might be baffled as to why their event isn't as popular as they imagined, but also to trackbuilders - both at pacific park and in other locations.

Spot on mate.

My post was in no way personally critising the organisers or trail builders. In fact the organisation seemed well above standard and well done. How ever I wasnt impressed with the track layout and the lack of variety.

I expect to see a number of different type of corners. Off camber, flat, tight burms and long flowing burms. I also expect to see a couple challanging jumps or drops and some fast flatout open sections. I dont even mind pedaling sections(ie orrimbah)

Its all about a good mix or variety of all of these points that makes a good downhill track.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
T

1. Only one proper burm (sic) (ie. difficult to carry speed through) or ie hard to carry speed if you haven't got good cornering skils
2. Do (sic) decent jumps or drops (not sufficiently challenging)There are several small to medium drops and quite a few gaps if you have the skill to find them, hold the line and the bottle to hit them, ie gaping into the steep rock roll down or gaping the G out on the high line at the bottom
3. There is alot (sic) of uphill sections [Which come after challenging techi section. If you have the skill to get through the techi section quick the speed carries yopu up the hill
4. The track doesnt (sic) flow well at allOpinion only
5. The amount of pedaling (sic) required is more than a cross country ride.What a silly statement

This criticism would be USEFUL,
But it is just opinion. Now I spent the morning riding there and most people I spoke to liked the track and found it challenging.
Yes it's pedally but bikes have pedals and it's only 1.5min long, if you can't pedal for 1.5min there is something wrong.

No it's not like Coffs, nor is it like Lithgow, nor is it like Stromlo and I doubt it's like Awaba. Different tracks different skills different people liking or disliking for different reasons.

Now sure we all want a great 3-5 min Dh track to be used in each state round but the simple facts are we don't have the venues. At this stage there is 2 or 3 tracks in NSW that fit that bill with both the venue and the clubs able to pull it off. Having a 2 race series in Thredbo and Coffs and a Champs at Awaba might be cool but it is kinda a short season

So what is the point of posting an opinion before the event that scares people off attending?

Sure have your say after the race. Say I did or not not enjoy the weekend/ track because of this...

Then the criticism would be useful. I can't see how doing it now is.

Oh, did I say I liked the track. Now I fully admit come monday I could be alone on that stance but what the hey...

And for the record Steve only put up his hand to run a race at PP because Lithgow wasn't going to run anything this year and no one else was putting their hand up. Lithgow only ran a race because another venue fell through.

Last edited:

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
I don't mean to be a bastard but berm is spelt with an "e" when I see it spelt burm my eyes see bum.

Constuctive critisism is what we need VTSS350 is only stating an opinion, if he doesn't like the track he doesn't like the track he was only letting you know what he thought of it and that he was dissapointed. To tell you the truth I was very sceptical about Lithgow earlier in the year but I had a ball it is not somthing I would like to do all the time but it was different but that is my opinion. I will be there because all I want to do is just ride my bike.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
So what is the point of posting an opinion before the event that scares people off attending?

Sure have your say after the race. Say I did or not not enjoy the weekend/ track because of this...

Then the criticism would be useful. I can't see how doing it now is.

Oh, did I say I liked the track.

And for the record Steve only put up his hand to run a race at PP because Lithgow wasn't going to run anything this year and no one else was putting their hand up. Lithgow only ran a race because another venue fell through.
I agree with that. Unfortunately venues and clubs able to pull off a state round are on the decline at the moment. This trail was pulled together at the last minute, and if its a little different, is that a bad thing??

We came very close to running our round at Killi, which I imagine would have been similar to PP, without the shuttles.

That said, I think criticism should be welcomed, just not on the eve of a race.

Plow King

Little bit.
Now sure we all want a great 3-5 min Dh track to be used in each state round but the simple facts are we don't have the venues. At this stage there is 2 or 3 tracks in NSW that fit that bill with both the venue and the clubs able to pull it off. Having a 2 race series in Thredbo and Coffs and a Champs at Awaba might be cool but it is kinda a short season
Don't forget Ourimbah, thats a 3-4-5 minute track.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Well, I'm not a trail builder. I've never been to a volunteer maintenance day. I don't care. I'm probably not going to go to one for a downhill track in the foreseeable future. I don't need to make excuses. I just can't justify spending that time on something which is a hobby, not a passion. Don't get all offended and angry by this - I'm just explicating what thousands of others in my position are expressing by their non-attendance.
No, you don't speak for thousands of people..., sorry to pop your ego.

I can't argue with your rationale for not helping in build days because there is no right or wrong here. But I will say that I have trouble dealing with such attitudes. If this was a rich sport I couldn't see any problem with this attitude. But it's not. It's a volunteer sport that would not survive if not for the army of selfless volunteers who donate their time and get little in return. If I'm entering into a situation like this, I cannot help but help in whatever way I can.

I guess that's just my upbringing; If you can possibly help with something that gives you enjoyment and others are giving up their time so you can do this, then you should also pitch in a little whenever you can. Hearing you so nonchalantly attempt to justify your parasitical nature towards the sport leads me to question your upbringing. Brahman?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
To tell you the truth I was very sceptical about Lithgow earlier in the year but I had a ball i.
And quite a few other people have told me that they and their friends did not come to the Lithgow race because they heard the track was short and flat and crap.

Did they miss out on a good event? Most people who were there would say yes.

TransitionPete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay Guys,

I was at PacPark today. I absolutely loved the track.

Yes it had some uphill bits. But if you carry enough speed down the track you will get up the hills easily.

The track is the best. Yes I must admit after reading all the comments about the track I wasnt to keen on going. But Now after riding the track I know that this wasnt true.

Yes it is short. But it is one of the best tracks I have ridden in a while

tinkerbell

Likes Dirt
will have to back you up on that pete its a good track i had fun and i know i will tommrow. only downer was where i snapped my fork's in half AGEN .lol.
big thanks to the boys at the bike shed mortdale for hooking me up with a new set.

little man

Likes Dirt
VTSs350 you really wanna rub it in dont you! its your opinion, maybe you just prefer tracks where all you have to do is hold an and turn and not pedal, thats just you. so go build a track for us that isnt pedally and we'll come and race a state champs round on it and maybe if your lucky tell you its shit:)

good luck tommorow pete and tinks

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
So you didnt ride Lithgow or Coffs Harbour rounds then.
why don't you just drop it.
different tracks are attractive to different riders and i've found that particularly the bike your riding has a huge impact on it too.
i hated lithgow on my ih sunday but loved it on a 224.
horses for courses and thats it for me.