Simpson Desert Bike Challenge thread.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
WOOHOO! Birdsville!

I just received Mark's Newsletter - July 2011
Birdsville, here we come
Woohoo!
It must be a huge relief for everyone involved with setting this year's course that the decision is made.
Fantastic news.

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I have been reading this thread for a few years now and love it.
I am overseas at the moment but will return to Aus next year. I will enter this fantastic event.
My period in the UK has given me plenty of fuel reserves to use for such a challenge.
After a few injuries my arms are a little intolerant of rigid forks.
I'm no stranger to gibber plains - they trashed my patrol causing me to roll into Innaminka on my rims.
I'm presently researching a fat bike suspension fork.
Keep the pics and plans coming boys.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I have been reading this thread for a few years now and love it.I am overseas at the moment but will return to Aus next year. I will enter this fantastic event.My period in the UK has given me plenty of fuel reserves to use for such a challenge.After a few injuries my arms are a little intolerant of rigid forks. I'm no stranger to gibber plains - they trashed my patrol causing me to roll into Innaminka on my rims.I'm presently researching a fat bike suspension fork.Keep the pics and plans coming boys.
I'm with you on the arms and rigid forks Hugor but have been playing with 25mm carbon bars and silicone grips - along with low tyre pressure and it all comes together to feel quite okay. pressure and grips dampen the chatter and the carbon bars take the sting out of bigger hits. It's the chatter that knocks me around though. I hadn't ridden a rigid bike for 20 years until now. For sand you'll want a rear cockpit weight bias anyway so you should be light on your hands and arms. I do wish I had another 6 months to get into better shape and HTFU.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
There is no such thing as too fat
Actually, I think I discovered when fat is too fat.

From yesterday's training ride.....Once they're turning, hang on....

Yes there was a long sweeping bend at the bottom of the hill..... Yes I tasted mud.

But then you get to this....and you're grinning like an idiot.....

Actually, I'm still grinning like an idiot.

Muzbuz

Squid
As you can see by Elvis's pic, deep mud is when Fat is too fat!

I love my "heavy Judy" but she is hopeless in deep mud, the tyre floatation is too good. But look out on the sand!!

We're going north on the K1 this year and I hear from my source that the sand that covered the track in 2009 is still there....bye bye skinny bikes, I'll see you in the bar at Birdsville!!! :p

DW-1

Dirt Works
Muz... you should talk to George.

From what I hear... you'll be wanting mice proof swags to sleep in...

mmmmmmm the crunching of rodents under the tyres in the early morning...

Elvis.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a bit of reading over this thread on weekend - sounds like an amazing event.

Few things I wonder about, if winning is the aim or doing it not just for fun (and who would?) are the fat bikes the go? Noticed all winners have been on skinny wheeled mtbs, so what gives? Are fat bikes now an advantage on this type of terrain/event? Other thing, was reading reports of chain suck does anyone use IGHs like an Alfine or Roloff?

Can event be followed by GPS like some adventure races?

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a bit of reading over this thread on weekend - sounds like an amazing event.

Few things I wonder about, if winning is the aim or doing it not just for fun (and who would?) are the fat bikes the go? Noticed all winners have been on skinny wheeled mtbs, so what gives? Are fat bikes now an advantage on this type of terrain/event? Other thing, was reading reports of chain suck does anyone use IGHs like an Alfine or Roloff?

It all came down to tyre width, I was using Stans raven tubeless tyres at 15psi and 20psi, this gave me a tyre width of almost 2.4.
plus it depends on where you actually ride, if you ride on the soft sand where the cars go, its soft and slow,
If you ride a metre to the left or the right of the "road" you have harder packed sand which is actually quite fast.

the aim is just to finish with 100%
I got 91% in 2009 and i am now very annoyed with that result.
not matter what - keep going - even if it it 8kph into a 50km sandstorm.
I never got chainsuck, and only used a 32 and a 22, I took the 42 off the bike completely.

DW-1

Dirt Works

last year was the first time that anyone on a fatbike showed up. 11 of them in all! The main reason that I think no one had ridden one in previous years is that they weren't commonly available in years gone by.

Yes... last year a "regular" bike won (again). But last years event was on a corrugated fireroad. (no where near the amount of sand that the Simpson will throw at you)

On the one day last year that the sand was present in any form similar to the normal Simpson... (day 3) the fatbikes ruled. Hell... I was passing people double my fitness that day.

As to your other question... if you can afford an IGH like an Alfine 11 or a (gasp) Rohloff. I say go for it. Less issues with drivetrain. Simplicity.

Elvis.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
On the one day last year that the sand was present in any form similar to the normal Simpson... (day 3) the fatbikes ruled. Hell... I was passing people double my fitness that day.
No doubt singing "I'm the King of the sand pit, naa naa ni naa naaa"

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Moonlanders won't arrive until Jan/Feb 2012 (we've ordered completes only for the first delivery).

Elvis.
Way ahead of you there Wayne.... In anticipation, here's one from the first batch of bicycle carrier wheel support cradles to suit these monster tyres! Can't wait for the bike to fill them....

Whilst these cradles also support 29" and 26" regular bikes, the 2.4" Mountain Kings on my Reign look like pimpley road tyres when you sit it in there.

Yes, Fat begets FAT.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
So we think that we are super human with our fat bikes..... Maybe not.

Riding along at a brisk pace feeling great in the sunshine and BANG - surprise baptise with 300ml of milky sealant goodness all over the back of the legs....

The stick went through the tyre, ghetto tube, layers of vinyl reinforcement and finally through the blue rim tape. When I peeled the tyre off the rim there was another 6 inch length of that stick in there. I could have taken the photo with two or three fingers in the hole but that would looked a bit hardcore....

22 sleeps to go.

Muzbuz

Squid
Thats a bummer George, Many years ago Monty Python did try to warn us all about pointed sticks

2nd Man: Can't we do something else?

3rd Man: Like someone who attacks you with a pointed stick?

Sergeant: Pointed stick? Oh, oh, oh. We want to learn how to defend ourselves against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you eh? Well I'll tell you something my lad. When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me!

I guess you can consider yourself lucky it wasn't a banana or a pineapple! :)