Simpson Desert Bike Challenge thread.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
So we think that we are super human with our fat bikes..... Maybe not.

The stick went through the tyre, ghetto tube, layers of vinyl reinforcement and finally through the blue rim tape. When I peeled the tyre off the rim there was another 6 inch length of that stick in there. I could have taken the photo with two or three fingers in the hole but that would looked a bit hardcore....

22 sleeps to go.
Yeap, if that happens in the Simpson it's pretty much game over. It's a worry.

Spectacular way to puncture though!

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Yeap, if that happens in the Simpson it's pretty much game over. It's a worry.

Spectacular way to puncture though!
Damn it. If it happens out there I'm stuffing the tyre full of grass and keep riding. There's plenty of grass about at the moment.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
That's not a pattern
29c31c33c35c37c39cblah blah 55c
Now that's a pattern

Hey george ,shoulnt you be training?
If you solve for the quadratic you'll find that it'll peak at 51 when we reach Birdsville.

And I will get out for more (panic) training after I patch this one... Yes another suprise baptise.

I hope to get all this milky badness over and done with before Purnie Bore.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
Do you have a sticky string sealing kit, George?

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=81&jras=ols5jekpnjipabnivfehgnace3

Won't help if you get one of those vampire stakes through the wheel but works on smaller stuff.

Last edited:

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Do you have a sticky string sealing kit, George?

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=81&jras=ols5jekpnjipabnivfehgnace3

Won't help if you get one of those vampire stakes through the wheel but works on smaller stuff.
I use them for the car but don't bother on the bike. With sealant and variety of rubber particles inside the tyre - will seal anything that these plugs will. The sealant acts as a barrier for these plugs anyway and they pop out as the carcass flexes.

I think that my misfortune has been because of the sticks on the track (like der....), speed and low pressure.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Just had a mate return from a Cannonball run across the Simpson - pretty much following this year's race route. I've posted a bunch of photos on the private Simpson forum. The desert is looking really good though the track perhaps a bit rougher than normal. I can feel my bum clenching from apprehension....no make that terror.

There should also be more variety for us riders. No rats, just a few mice about.

DW-1

Dirt Works
open post to all riders heading to Satan's Velodrome 2011

remember:
1) - ride like the devil (thanks for that one Al')

2) Drink more water! "clear and copious" is your motto, live by it.

3) no matter how bad you think you feel, if you hear Grim's engine behind you you'll feel a lot worse.

4) take only photographs and memories - leave only fatbike tracks.

5) be extra nice to sweepbitch. and by "nice"... I mean bribe her with chocolate and nice red wine. She's the real brains in that team. Grim is just the muscle.

6) dob-in *everyone* to the fines bitch. it's tradition.

7) be especially nice to your support crew (and if it's your wife... be EXTRA NICE) - you have no idea what they will do to support you. respect it.

8) never stop. no matter how you feel. *just-keep-moving*. You *can* go further & faster than you believe.
Just-keep-turning-the-pedals.

9) never say... *never again*. I did... and I went back three times.

10) and finally... HAVE FUN.

(and for those of you silly enough to show up *again* in 2012... see you then!)

Elvis.

DW-1

Dirt Works
and there you have it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Simpson-Desert-Bike-Challenge/129005327130568

The Simpson Bike Challenge 2011 has been officially cancelled.

*UPDATE* The event is BACK ON ladies and gentlemen! We're now running from the Pink Roadhouse Oodnadatta.

Police have closed the Simpson Desert due to fires.

I just received a call from Kaye Stretton. Apparently the Race Director, Mark Polley, left Birdsville earlier today and was turned back to Birdsville by Police.

updates on Facebook as they become available.

Elvis.
(very sad)

Last edited:

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Replacement event

The RD is attempting to pull together an event of some sort from Oodnadatta to destination unknown - Bummer!

DW-1

Dirt Works
NEWS JUST IN!

President, Sweep and riders are here in Oodnadatta and have just been confirmed with the Ranger that the Simpson Desert Parks will remain closed until Wednesday at the absolute earliest (the northerly winds on Monday will push the fires straight into South Australia).

So, given that outback Australia is always unpredictable, there was of course a Plan B. The new desert route is looking tough but satisfying (Sweep is complaining that he doesn't have a bike here) - and includes some dunes that will knock the riders socks off, and we're throwing in a special treat for the crews.

So - we'll see you at the Pink Roadhouse Campground for the start of the 25th Anniversary Desert Challenge at 6am on Tuesday 27th October!

Elvis.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
The trouble with fat bikes is that they are only good on sand. Single purpose and all that.

Still, with no sand we got 1st, 3rd and 5th this year. (second and forth last year).

Yeap, a 16kg pug with wheels at over 3kg a pop won. Maybe the legs are important as well?

DW-1

Dirt Works
yep... Fatbikes can't be used for anything other than sand and snow... nope... no-sir-ee...

you'd never be able to backflip one... right?

[video=youtube_share;I-_pAVNwfT8]http://youtu.be/I-_pAVNwfT8[/video]

Elvis.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
The trouble with fat bikes is that they are only good on sand. Single purpose and all that.
I know that's toungue in cheek but on another forum discussing fat bikes, I posted the following - all from a few months of owning a Mukluk.

A bit of pictorial fatness....

You can ride suburban beaches.

You can ride salt lakes.

You can ride desert dunes.

You can ride muddy singletrack.

You can ride wild remote beaches.

You can ride endless clay pans.

You can ride regular MTB Trails.

You can ride nasty rock.

You can explore and find long lost stuff.

You can ride soft river silt tracks around the Murray river.

You can explore outback tracks at sunset....

You can ride the soft mineral powder and explore central Australian mound springs.

You can climb mound springs without harming the fragile surface.

You find warm springs that make a perfect shower.

You get to explore deserted towns in the middle of nowhere.

You can race a fat bike.

You can take fat anywhere.

You can make fat friends.

And just to remind you that you're mortal, you can experience the joys of fat flats

Fat is not so special purpose after all.... Perhaps fat is poli-purpose.

Fat is fabulous fun.

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
That looks awesome!!
I'm interested in riding the desert challenge. What gear is needed to enter?
Where can someone buy a fat bike?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
That looks awesome!!
I'm interested in riding the desert challenge. What gear is needed to enter?
Where can someone buy a fat bike?
There is a wealth of information on the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge web site http://www.desertchallenge.org/ but take it easy as you digest it. There is a lot to consider.

Elvis on this thread is the guy to ask about buying a fat bike. He looked after the SDBC participants with specials and moved mountains to help me when I destroyed a couple of race tyres right before the event. He is also a wealth of information on competing in the race and upon reflection, every piece of information he passed onto me was spot on. Thanks Elvis!