Little Things You Hate

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Here we go again with MTBA saying you need an Australian approved helmet to race the national championships. #boycottmtba

Edit: Anyone from outside Australia can wear an approved helmet from Antarctica though but Aussies? It must have a southern cross star or some bullshit on it. What a crock.
Does this mean that they are going to try and make international riders wear an Australian approved helmet at Oceanias this year?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Does this mean that they are going to try and make international riders wear an Australian approved helmet at Oceanias this year?
Dunno mate, we saw this sort of thing unfold years ago and they wouldn't let some guys practice until they had the sticker. People were sharing helmets, some were swapping the sticker between runs etc etc. The Australian race scene needs a big change, this isn't the change it needs though.
I'm not sure how they will police it but as an official a while back, I was told to inspect helmet stickers. Being a rider and fan of nice things, I didn't stop anyone from riding and later got asked by a top official why I didn't stop a few that were known not have the saftey cushion of the sticker. I said I inspected the helmet as best as anyone onsite could have an no one had a helmet that looked potentially defective, no cracks, no bad marks suggesting a big hit that could potentially crack a helmet. The guy looked at me kind of all glum and said "You can tell a helmet might be cracked if it has scratches on it?" Honest, thats what he said. He was more concerned with the sticker than the actual condition of a rider's helmet.

Reactions: Zaf

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Dunno mate, we saw this sort of thing unfold years ago and they wouldn't let some guys practice until they had the sticker. People were sharing helmets, some were swapping the sticker between runs etc etc. The Australian race scene needs a big change, this isn't the change it needs though.
I'm not sure how they will police it but as an official a while back, I was told to inspect helmet stickers. Being a rider and fan of nice things, I didn't stop anyone from riding and later got asked by a top official why I didn't stop a few that were known not have the saftey cushion of the sticker. I said I inspected the helmet as best as anyone onsite could have an no one had a helmet that looked potentially defective, no cracks, no bad marks suggesting a big hit that could potentially crack a helmet. The guy looked at me kind of all glum and said "You can tell a helmet might be cracked if it has scratches on it?" Honest, thats what he said. He was more concerned with the sticker than the actual condition of a rider's helmet.
Yes, I recall they tried this when I was competing at the Oceanias in 2017... it turned out to be rather unenforceable back then. I had thought that at one point they had clarified the ruling to include a list of international standards that would also be permitted but maybe they've reneged on that as well.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

"This applies during competition, practice or commuting to and from their events.

Downhill riders must wear a full faced helmet meeting AS2063 or equivalent standard.

The rule will also apply for competitors in the Oceania Championships, however overseas riders in the UCI categories will be given an exemption from the AS2063 requirement as this is an international event. Their helmets still need to display a compliance sticker ensuring that the helmet is approved in compliance with an official security standard and that the helmet can be identified as approved."

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Thanks nzhumpy, I'm still sitting with Dozer over here on team boycott so haven't looked at the rulebook this year but that snip would indicate a glimmer of sensibility, although not sure why it couldn't apply to all competitors at all events if they've already acknowledged that helmets approved under the international standards are acceptable.

Did you Google this information?

Flow-Rider

Burner
If it's a sanctioned MTBA event. Tecnical-Regulations-NATIONAL-LEVEL-EVENTS-V2.1-PUBLISHED-23-MAY-2018.pdf

Clothing Requirements 3.7.1.

s. 3.7.1.2. Bicycle helmets that satisfy the current Australian or equivalent international standards are compulsory in all MTBA sanctioned events.* See Appendix A & B.*

Appendix A.

All riders are required to wear a helmet meeting AS2063 or equivalent all times whiles on they are on a bike. Helmets must have a manufacturers mark stating its compliance with the Standard. Helmets may be inspected at any time by a commissaire.

The list of standards that MTBA will accept as an international equivalent to the Australian/New Zealand Standard 2063 are as follows:

1. NSI Z90.4;
  2. Snell "B" or "N" series;
  3. ASTM F1447.
  4. Canadian CAN/CSAD113.2M;
  5. U.S. CPSC standard for bicycle helmets;
  6. European CEN standard for bicycle helmets (EN1078)
Other international standards may be added however if not explicitly listed above or in any supplementary regulations are not permitted for use.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I am guilty of receiving the email and only reading the headline and not the content... pretty sure that the big bold red letters stated Australian standards approved helmets were mandatory.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Not sure if Im reading this right, but did the killer get off because the police screwed up the recording of the scene...?
Paragraph 6 has the rules for all competitors that were in that race. There are numerous videos of competitors in that race riding at night on the usual social media outlets showing competitors riding at night with lights, reflectors etc. There's no reason to believe that Mike didn't have lights and reflectors when he was hit.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I am guilty of receiving the email and only reading the headline and not the content... pretty sure that the big bold red letters stated Australian standards approved helmets were mandatory.
"meeting AS2063 or equivalent standard. " I'd be arguing this point, surely a helmet bought from Merlin/Chain Reaction/Jenson/CC would meet the equivalent of AS2063

I also usually just read the headline and delete but this one caught my attention because all my helmets are missing the all important shiny sticker.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
"meeting AS2063 or equivalent standard. " I'd be arguing this point, surely a helmet bought from Merlin/Chain Reaction/Jenson/CC would meet the equivalent of AS2063

I also usually just read the headline and delete but this one caught my attention because all my helmets are missing the all important shiny sticker.
The rest of Australia happy runs on equivalent standards, why is this different?

Flow-Rider

Burner

Check inside the helmet under the padding on the full faces, that's where my Kali has it. .