COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well this all gets rather intriguing. Did our dear leader undertake a history lesson regarding his belief that Australia had never had slavery? I think he must have...and is now putting his knowledge to good use. Pacific islanders will be able to travel to Australia via New Zealand to undertake harvest and shearing work. I've been well stumped as to why our government has been so keen to have a bubble with NZ. Aside from the seperated families spin (there's plenty of other nations linked in the same way), all I could really see would be a huge boom for tourism in NZ which would erode the domestic tourism staycation aspect of economic recovery. But it would seem there was a bigger plan all lo g and it wasn't just about sports balls!

It can get worse than exploiting working rights, Qld is like a wild west from the 1900's.

‘There are no human rights here’

"After two months of working on a farm, Elin had just $70 to show for her time.

Each year, tens of thousands of young backpackers like her are channelled onto Australian farms, where many become cheap labour and some are sexually harassed.

It is happening under a Federal Government scheme, and under its watch.

For years, the Government has assured the public it is taking action against the systematic exploitation of young travellers.

But the disturbing stories from backpackers — and data obtained under Freedom of Information laws — show otherwise."

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It can get worse than exploiting working rights, Qld is like a wild west from the 1900's.

‘There are no human rights here’

"After two months of working on a farm, Elin had just $70 to show for her time.

Each year, tens of thousands of young backpackers like her are channelled onto Australian farms, where many become cheap labour and some are sexually harassed.

It is happening under a Federal Government scheme, and under its watch.

For years, the Government has assured the public it is taking action against the systematic exploitation of young travellers.

But the disturbing stories from backpackers — and data obtained under Freedom of Information laws — show otherwise."
It's a bullshit situation. You don't need to go into the nether lands either. There is a chicken processing plant just outside Newcastle that exploits (or at least did) a significant number of working holiday visa holders from non-english speaking countries. Housed in shared accommodation and charged extortionate fees, with a lot of the women coerced into sex by their manger as well. There was a huge blow up about it in the local media a few years ago.

I got offered a job in Thredbo a few years ago doing bar work. The employer offered no regular hours, part time minimum wage, 7 day roster, early morning start to late night finish, and a great deal on staff accommodation...a little over $200/week in a 4 share bedroom. I declined the offer knowing I was getting screwed and gave them a bit of an unwanted lecture.

There seems to be so many people defending the exploitation of agriculture workers because the farmers make practically no money selling to supermarkets. I call bullshit to that being a justification for low prices. But we are stuck in a dilemma. People generally agree about fair wages and conditions, but also we want those low low prices.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Really good Guardian article here on the social media blow back for questioning the Andrews gov’s covid response.. From reporters to Epidemiologists, seems everyone is fair game in the ideological wars..

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Really good Guardian article here on the social media blow back for questioning the Andrews gov’s covid response.. From reporters to Epidemiologists, seems everyone is fair game in the ideological wars..
Read this twitter thread, this is why reporters are under attack:

#thisisnotjournalism

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Read this twitter thread, this is why reporters are under attack:

#thisisnotjournalism
All newscorp and sky in that thread.. And also select commentators from those outlets that aren’t even journos.. But hey lets tarnish every single journalist with the same brush..
But it’s totally cool for the istandwithdan crew to threaten to rape/kill a news corp journo.. Or go after well regarded epidemiologist.. Nothing wrong with that at all..
Is it fair to say every istandwithdan fanboi/girl is a potential rapist/murderer as well? Just like every reporter is a right wing hack #thisisnotjournalism..

Flow-Rider

Burner
All newscorp and sky in that thread.. And also select commentators from those outlets that aren’t even journos.. But hey lets tarnish every single journalist with the same brush..
But it’s totally cool for the istandwithdan crew to threaten to rape/kill a news corp journo.. Or go after well regarded epidemiologist.. Nothing wrong with that at all..
Is it fair to say every istandwithdan fanboi/girl is a potential rapist/murderer as well? Just like every reporter is a right wing hack #thisisnotjournalism..
This is a good impersonation of keyboard warriors in real life.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Still amazed that nobody can recall who said "ok...let's use private security". How is this not recorded, unless there was a deliberate effort to forget?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Still amazed that nobody can recall who said "ok...let's use private security". How is this not recorded, unless there was a deliberate effort to forget?
I think because it turned out to be a turd of an idea with deadly repercussions it's become an orphan. But given the latest news and instantaneous resignation I reckon the trail is getting warmer that we'll find out who the parent is soon....

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think because it turned out to be a turd of an idea with deadly repercussions it's become an orphan. But given the latest news and instantaneous resignation I reckon the trail is getting warmer that we'll find out who the parent is soon....
Police minister or someone in that dept is next to go you would think..

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Because it's pretty much the default option/SOP to use private companies. Was anyone reasonably going to know that the original security firm was going to subcontract the gig out, and that mob sub it out to some useless fuckwits???
I read that the ADF was going to take a week to mobilize, and the VIC state government only had 2-3days max before the Overseas infected arrived at Melbourne airport. Apparently the initial security firm was chosen from a list provided by #ScrotuMo 's federal people. Note that NSW refused to take any OS travellers arriving by plane. CoughRubyPrincessCough

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Was anyone reasonably going to know that the original security firm was going to subcontract the gig out, and that mob sub it out to some useless fuckwits???
Yeah that's a big part of it I think. Standard practice amongst security companies apparently, but that doesn't mean some govt. oik is going to know that.
Police minister or someone in that dept is next to go you would think..
Neville is not that popular apparently and is still stained by the Red Shirts issue, so yeah she could be in trouble. Regardless this was never going to stop with only one Minister being thrown to the sharks. Consequences too big.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Piecing things together it's pretty clear that Police said "hell nah we ain't doing that" and everyone else said "okay then guess that means it's contractors huh?"
Even so...if there is one thing bureaucrats love nearly as much as having a meeting it is recording those meetings. No decision is ever made without minutes. They are somewhere...unless they've gone in the shredder since it blew up. I'm not saying it was the right or wrong decision. I'm pretty sure that a group of army boys and probably police too word have been pants down quick smart if the right offer came along. Just that they know who made the decision. Better to fess up early as it leaves the chance for forgiveness and also to control the story, plus you usually dont need to commit seppuku. It's after being caught out from months of lying that seppuku becomes the best option.

Because it's pretty much the default option/SOP to use private companies. Was anyone reasonably going to know that the original security firm was going to subcontract the gig out, and that mob sub it out to some useless fuckwits???
I read that the ADF was going to take a week to mobilize, and the VIC state government only had 2-3days max before the Overseas infected arrived at Melbourne airport. Apparently the initial security firm was chosen from a list provided by #ScrotuMo 's federal people. Note that NSW refused to take any OS travellers arriving by plane. CoughRubyPrincessCough
When are NSW going to hold an inquiry into the ruby princess? I demand more seppuku!

I don't think using private security was the wrong move. It is how things are frequently done. I saw some private security guards just last weekend in a hotel lobby here handling quarantine related matters.

Time to say good bye to cruise ships. That industry belongs in the same garbage bin as motor racing.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The issue isn’t just who hired private guards, it is the fact the dhhs completely ballsed up the training and management of the security, returned travellers and other hotel staff. They didn’t actively manage them as they were officially supposed to do, the inquiry found they just did the old “set and forget”.. Then when they were alerted to issues with dud guards, they did nothing... That dept had the health oversight of the hotel q, the $$$ contracts they wrote for both security, cleaners, catering etc all specified the staff could move between sites and didn’t just have to work soley in hotel Q... Wtf..
It doesn’t really matter who hired the guards if the dhhs was doing their jobs properly the issues with dead shit guards would have stamped out within weeks.. Let’s not get started on their lousy contract tracing and the fact they scaled down the number of tracers after the first wave so it took months for them to figure out the virus was leaking out of hotel q..
I’m not personally blaming the people working their arses off in the dhhs, but the way the current (and previous govs) have stripped the guts out of it and that the CHO had no power to manage the health dept, means the jokers high up have to take the blame and cop it. That includes our elected plonkers..

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok who was it?

Old mate on a sick rig and dropping wheelies at the end.

I'd allow police brutality in this instance - I'll never understand why someone would want to spend their time, wasting everyone else's in this manner