COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
yes you lock down in contact workers, so security stay in hotel quarantine with travellers, hlth care workers stay at or nearby to their work, if you don’t want community transmission stop them going into the community
An ounce of prevention, pound of cure and all that but every single person who is criticising the response to getting the virus under control just talks about what could have been done to prevent it. Nobody comes up with a better solution for getting it out of the community.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Great in theory but who is going to volunteer to be isolated from family for low paid casual position aged care? Not many democratic countries that have figured out how to protect the vulnerable.. Or if it is even possible with this particular virus..
just like current situation it’s not a volunteer thing, you could isolate 50000 high risk workers, or 5 million melbournians...easy choice in my mind, some of the current measures, like curfew, 1hr exercise, 5km radius have no scientific basis -or link to transmission of virus - 95% of virus is being transmitted through work places...so statistically only course of action is to lockdown those workplaces...not rocket science ‘/ alternatively if you;re not going to do that you use the swedish model - -mucky for them their govt has almost no say in decision,s chief hlth/epidem officer is making al their decisions

if u want to protect the vulnerable, 2 things to know
1 you can’t protect them, they will die of covid/flu/pneumonia, we have not had seasonal influenza this year, due to o.seas flight restriction, but those deaths have been replaced by covid deaths
2 you totally isolate them, and their careers , as i suggested

Daniel Hale

An ounce of prevention, pound of cure and all that but every single person who is criticising the response to getting the virus under control just talks about what could have been done to prevent it. Nobody comes up with a better solution for getting it out of the community.
you can’t get it out of the community, viruses which are easily transmitted like colds/flu/covid, in today’s world with travel are impossible to get rid of, unless you live in antarctica, because they are such a low grade illness, have very little effect on the average adult, so easily passed on, it’s why ebola will never be a huge worldwide hlth risk, it kills/disables you so quickly you don’t have time to pass it on

Freediver

I can go full Karen
you can’t get it out of the community,Yet statistics suggest otherwise viruses which are easily transmitted like colds/flu/covid, in today’s world with travel are impossible to get rid ofThat's why we banned travel, unless you live in Antarctica, because they are such a low grade illness, have very little effect on the average adult, so easily passed on, it’s why ebola will never be a huge worldwide health risk, it kills/disables you so quickly you don’t have time to pass it on or perhaps because it's passed on less easily, only through body fluids, not through air and because outbreaks are quickly quarantined

Daniel Hale

Yet statistics suggest otherwise
which stats, melb is 8 wks into the most severe lockdown currently operating worldwide [anyone know of another one] , which is 4 std viral cycles in humans, yet we still have 400 cases approx, and that has only just come down significantly in the last 2 wks, when i used the word community i was referencing a normal functioning human community, melb is far from that presently

dazz

Downhill Dazz
which stats, melb is 8 wks into the most severe lockdown currently operating worldwide [anyone know of another one] , which is 4 std viral cycles in humans, yet we still have 400 cases approx, and that has only just come down significantly in the last 2 wks, when i used the word community i was referencing a normal functioning human community, melb is far from that presently
NZ isn't a normal functioning human community? They had 0 new cases today. They have now successfully eliminated Covid19 from their community twice and can now enjoy a relatively low impact 'CovidNormal'. Loss of the international tourist dollar probably the biggest financial damage, and that would've happened regardless of their approach to combating the outbreaks.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
There are (or have been) several more stringent lockdowns than the one Melbourne is in. Parts of South America have been on an extended lockdown harsher than Stage 4 since March - including measures where one member of a household can leave the house once a week... South Africa's lockdown included closing bottlos(!!!!) Taiwan (and possibly others) had lockdowns that included mandatory contact tracing of all citizens.

It's Straya mate, there's always someone to blame round ere.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
It's a novel idea, but those farmers (often megafarms) could try paying a fair rate and not exploiting vulnerable workers...
Completely agree. If it was decent pay for decent work, they wouldn't be experiencing a shortage of labour. Instead, they have to force backpackers to do a few months work in agriculture because everyone else knows it's not a good deal and exploitation is rife.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some pretty solid info coming out at the very end of the hotel quarantine hearing.. Looking very much that it was the Vic Gov that fked it all up, and that’s where the blame will land..

“In closing submissions to the inquiry, counsel assisting the inquiry Ben Ihle said the failure to properly train security guards, inadequate testing of detainees and poor infection control measures meant that the program became “a feeding ground for the spread of COVID-19 into the community”.

“The program should have been accompanied by intensive and ongoing monitoring and auditing..the Victorian Government failed to ensure this was done.”

Yes it’s news but Samantha Maiden is very good..

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Some pretty solid info coming out at the very end of the hotel quarantine hearing.. Looking very much that it was the Vic Gov that fked it all up, and that’s where the blame will land..

“In closing submissions to the inquiry, counsel assisting the inquiry Ben Ihle said the failure to properly train security guards, inadequate testing of detainees and poor infection control measures meant that the program became “a feeding ground for the spread of COVID-19 into the community”.

“The program should have been accompanied by intensive and ongoing monitoring and auditing..the Victorian Government failed to ensure this was done.”

Yes it’s news but Samantha Maiden is very good..
Also from that article:

The inquiry was also told Victoria Police did not want to run the state’s hotel quarantine scheme and “their preference became the outcome” that resulted in the disastrous decision to use poorly trained security guards an inquiry has been told.

In closing submissions to the inquiry today, counsel assisting the inquiry Rachel Ellyard offered a damning recap of the evidence and the failure by anyone to take responsibility for the decision.
But she said it was clear that the reluctance of the VicPol to take the job on was a major “contributing factor” to a creeping assumption that private security would do the job.
“The expression of a preference can readily be understood to have given the clear impression that police weren’t going to do it and there needed to be an alternative,” Ms Ellyard said.
“Their preference became the outcome.

When you have 48 hours to stand up a hotel quarantine program, VicPol should have been told they were running it - at least until it was functioning effectively with proper oversight. Who better to take charge in uncertain, high risk situations... apart from the ADF.

moorey

call me Mia
Have not read/seen any of the above findings....but maybe Vic Pol believed they had good reason to not take this on. Are they properly trained and resourced in the handling of a pandemic quarantine at short notice?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Have not read/seen any of the above findings....but maybe Vic Pol believed they had good reason to not take this on. Are they properly trained and resourced in the handling of a pandemic quarantine at short notice?
I know the Vic Police have a long history of bungling incompetence, but I would have thought not screwing quarantined people would be a safe bet with them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To be clear that info is not the findings, it is the final summary.. The finding comes down in Nov, but it most likely won’t vary too greatly than what was presented...
What has become apparent is there was a hell of lot else going wrong than just who hired the security guards.. The dhhs and other gov dept failed across the board, and not just a the beginning when they had to rush together a hotel Q program..

More details here in the age.. Seems the whole idea of hotel Q might be put under question..

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The enquiry is a bit of farce. There would be much more they could have gone into. Government departments document just about everything and there would be phone records of who was talking to who at what time. It seems light on and only designed to get a scape goat or 2.

I think there would have been a better outcome if the untrained security guards ran the enquiry and got to beat the truth out of the ministers.