Search results

1. gravelclimber

QLD Sold

###sold###
  2. gravelclimber

If you think the arrival of a few more boat-people here is due to Rudd's new laws...

....you might want to read this. God it shits me that yesterday's tragedy is being spun for political purposes before the injured and dead even make it to shore.
  3. gravelclimber

Cyber bullying

Just watching 4 corners on cyber bullying. Pretty devastating about teens committing suicide. According to the show, which doesn't seem to be a Current Affair beatup, 10% Australians, 20 % British and 50 % American kids reckon they're bullied, with serious consequences. eTough has a lot...
  4. gravelclimber

Socceroos and the World Cup

Anyone watching the world cup qualifier tonight? Wish I was there. Will be huge if Australia win and other results mean we qualify tonight. No Tim Cahill though. Uzbeks won 4-0 on the weekend. Will we tough
  5. gravelclimber

Is the economic collapse a game changer?

Up until the last week or so I've been of the view that global financial crisis and recessions in many western nations is simply part of the economic cycle - basically 1988 - 1995 all over again. But hearing the news coming out of Japan, the worlds second largest economy, and Eastern Europe...
  6. gravelclimber

X9 v. X0 rear shifter

I just broke my X9 rear shifter (the first engagement point is gone, so the shifter has to go about halfway through its travel before it does anything - I assume it's stuffed). Is the XO rear shifter worth the extra 50 bucks? Is it a little stronger internally? The new shifter will be...
  7. gravelclimber

Israel v. Hamas - Everyone's a winner!!

Good news people! The war's expanded to Northern Israel with rockets launched from Lebanon and Israel retaliating. What could go wrong? Tom Waits gives some background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqhoCj4uFfQ&feature=related
  8. gravelclimber

2008 Mazda BT-50 / Ford Ranger 4x4 ute

I am looking at getting a new Mazda BT-50 single cab-chasis 4x4 ute with alloy tray. It is good to drive (3L turbo diesel goes well) but I don't know anyone with one so no idea how reliable they are. So; anyone on farkin own one or has a bit of experience in one (or a Ford Ranger - same...
  9. gravelclimber

Mark Webber injured mtbing

Hope he's not too bad. Thankfully, the X-trail driver who hit him is not injured according to the report. :rolleyes: Should have stuck to a safe sport like F1.
  10. gravelclimber

Casual shoes for cycling and walking

I've started commuting to the bus station. Afterward I have a 20 minute walk to work. Same going home. Any recommendations for a cheapish casual shoe for clipless pedaling that's not too stiff to walk reasonable comfortably in. Not too worried aren't light or overly vented or anything...
  11. gravelclimber

Your funeral song

I was reading a little while ago that, instead of old hymns and such, priests etc. are playing plenty of prior requests from the unfortunate participants at funerals. People who know their time is up and ask for a song that encapsulates them, who they are, how they want other's to remember...
  12. gravelclimber

Pinder v. Fox - paralysed cyclist sues

Not sure if thread on this - did a quick search and didn't find anything. From here. Heard about it here (it's actually a climate science site). Of particular interest is what James Annan wrote a couple of years ago. Click this link. What do the physics people think of this stuff...
  13. gravelclimber

Flat Bars

I'm chasing some (ideally) light (<150g), wide, flat bars that can take bar ends. Not worried if either of the two common diameters (have both stems) or whether carbon or aluminium. Cheap would be nice too. Any recommendations?
  14. gravelclimber

UST tyre recomendation

Have got an Anthem X2 with Kenda small block 8s and really don't like them. Out of control in the dry gravelly stuff at the moment. Like the low rolling resistance but terrible on the corners. Any recommendations on a light fast UST XC tyre that corners well? Mainly for loose dry trails...
  15. gravelclimber

40% of Australians xenophobic?

It's a bit of a sad reflection on Australia in 2008 that this research sounds like it's fairly accurate: At least the younger generations are better than the older. But 1 in 10 still think that it is not good for people of different cultures to marry and about the same number said not all...
  16. gravelclimber

2007 Reign 0 with mods - $1950 **SOLD**

2007 Reign 0 with mods - $1950 ($4500 new) Frame: 2007 Reign 0 – large size (suite people 5’10” and over) Forks: 2007 Fox Float 140 RLC – rebound, lock-out and low speed compression adjustment Shock: 2007 Fox Float RP23 – recently serviced and all seals replaced by Dirt Works (is better now...
  17. gravelclimber

Dark Knight

Don't think there's a thread on this yet. Damn it's a fine movie. Easily the best action film I have seen in years. Heath Ledger is phenomenal as the Joker. All the hype is deserved. Better than Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal. The acting's awesome. The story's first class. Don't...
  18. gravelclimber

Forgotten Music thread

Just watched the superb Joy Division documentary and it got me thinking about amazing bands from the past that aren’t so well remembered now. Tastes change and all that sort of thing, but some stuff stays in the minds of the public (life Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bowie etc.), and some stuff...
  19. gravelclimber

The coming apocalypse - are we, as a species, about to be bitch-slapped?

All this talk about fuel-watch and few cents a litre is fairly clearly a load of populist crap. Peak oil is a serious problem though, and could lead to a world of hurt in the future. So too global warming - a real problem that could be disastrous in 50 to 100 years. Both these are...
  20. gravelclimber

Portishead

When one of the finest bands of the last 40 years releases a new album after 11 years - that's worth a new thread I reckon. Should be along in a few weeks. New track's out - intersting. As another warm up - check out this clip of Beth Gibbons covering a Velvet Underground tune...