2010 Snow season thread

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will get back to you later on the heli run thing Genetic, pressed for time atm. Not sure so will do some research.

Opening day at Cardies today, I am truly in love. Near waist deep powder in a lot of area's. Lived in the snow for the first half of the day, was absolutely smashing the place the second half. Will get some pics up when I buy more internet!!

Going to Japan this coming Summer as well, anyone got any idea of how much i'd have to save to get over there for a fortnight?

Lemontime

Eats Squid
May head to the snow for a day some time these holidays, just cause I need hours for my L's.
Pretty keen woop woop.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
Going to Japan this coming Summer as well, anyone got any idea of how much i'd have to save to get over there for a fortnight?
Went to Japan the summer just gone for 10 days... i think we rode 8 of them..
Cost about $3k all up including flights for the Hakuba area... was pretty sick. I'd say it'd cost you a bit more than that if you wanted to hit Niseko

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Went to Japan the summer just gone for 10 days... i think we rode 8 of them..
Cost about $3k all up including flights for the Hakuba area... was pretty sick. I'd say it'd cost you a bit more than that if you wanted to hit Niseko

much the same as me, ive posted it up before, cant rember the exact days i did haha was a while ago.. a whole 4 months..

all up i think it was 16 days, rode 10 or somthing. spent a bit of time in tokyo (highly recomend you do if you go over the place is just awsome).

spent about 2k there all accomo, all food, all drink (drank everynight haha), all lifts etc.. ate out lunch and dinner everyday.

plus flights which i paid 1200 for, as i didnt book them untill december, and flew with qantas..

if you get jetstar 2 -4 -1 deal, and go cheaply you could easily do 2 weeks with 10 days on snow for under 2k. probaly 1500, if you lived on 7/11 noodle box's, and didnt go to the pub.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Anyone have any predictions if perisher will get better in 12 days time. last year i went every lift was open and we had about a foot of fresh over the week i was there.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
LEAVE SATURDAY!!!!
Going to Queenstown boarding,
Shall be great, coronet and remarkables for just over a week, cant wait!

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
this is killing me!!! i have ski racing in 5 days... and there is no fucking snow. apparently there isnt a single run open that doesnt have any man made on it.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
this is killing me!!! i have ski racing in 5 days... and there is no fucking snow. apparently there isnt a single run open that doesnt have any man made on it.

I take it your talking perisher, im heading there for a week on the 10th, that time last year every lift was open, cant see it happening this yer :(

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a question for you keen skiers/boarders. I have skied since i was 4 years old im now 22. but for the life of me i cant do any tricks and im keen as to learn some. should i go for privet lesons or is their groups that teach tricks?

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
I have a question for you keen skiers/boarders. I have skied since i was 4 years old im now 22. but for the life of me i cant do any tricks and im keen as to learn some. should i go for privet lesons or is their groups that teach tricks?
if you've been skiing for that long you should feel pretty comfortable on your feet and know not only your limits, but the way the skiis will act. so just give it a shot. start small with 180's then go bigger with the 180's and then 360's etc.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you've been skiing for that long you should feel pretty comfortable on your feet and know not only your limits, but the way the skiis will act. so just give it a shot. start small with 180's then go bigger with the 180's and then 360's etc.
There are a few things you can pick up from a lesson though that you would unlikely get otherwise, perhaps get 1 private lesson and make it pure park. A group lesson will not likely focus purely on park.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
I take it your talking perisher, im heading there for a week on the 10th, that time last year every lift was open, cant see it happening this yer :(
you should have some serious snow on your last day, a big dump of snow is expected for the 16th-17th. yeah, i wish ski racing was later in the year, because there is next to no snow ATM and im only going to be able to afford 1 trip this year :(

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
this year im gonna be on my first set of twin tips. in what way do they feel different, does it take long to adjust, and have you got any pointers on how to ride them?

Switch

huskier headed gent
this year im gonna be on my first set of twin tips. in what way do they feel different, does it take long to adjust, and have you got any pointers on how to ride them?
There are so many variables to consider, what level skiier are you, how do you ski, what skis you are used to and what sort of twinnys you are moving on too etc. If you have come from a stiff racing ski onto a soft park ski you are going to find a world of difference and they will not carve anywhere near as well. That being said my first set of twinnys were Dynastar Candide pro model (personally signed when he was in OZ :cool:) and have had twin tips ever since. It won't take you long to get used to the change and then can enjoy the fun of riding switch, landing 180s, 540s..........

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Season ticket.
Thredbo
or Perisher!
Why?
I've skied Thredders my whole life.
Thredders is steeper.
Thredders has the longest possible run.
But
Perisher is bigger.
and the snow lasts longer(not Thredbo end of season half run of slush.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
There are so many variables to consider, what level skiier are you, how do you ski, what skis you are used to and what sort of twinnys you are moving on too etc. If you have come from a stiff racing ski onto a soft park ski you are going to find a world of difference and they will not carve anywhere near as well. That being said my first set of twinnys were Dynastar Candide pro model (personally signed when he was in OZ :cool:) and have had twin tips ever since. It won't take you long to get used to the change and then can enjoy the fun of riding switch, landing 180s, 540s..........
will i get the hang of them within a day, 2 days, a week? what is "not long"
thanks heaps for your reply VERY helpful.