2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

dyon

Likes Bikes
S@#T, just what I need, more fast old farts.....I think there should be a new rule regarding Master's categories, if your able to ride at a certain pace you have to race elite. That is if your faster than say, me, then you have to step up.:cool:
How about a rule that if you would have been on the elite podium you shouldn't be allowed to race age category?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Maybe bike weight penalties, therefore if you are bottom age in your age group i.e. you are 36 in the 35-40 age cat you have to carry an extra kilo or something.

quiggs

N.B. no Jase Mc I'm not as old as you and have another couple of yrs in the youthful category of 35-40 :p

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Maybe bike weight penalties, therefore if you are bottom age in your age group i.e. you are 36 in the 35-40 age cat you have to carry an extra kilo or something.

quiggs

N.B. no Jase Mc I'm not as old as you and have another couple of yrs in the youthful category of 35-40 :p
Yeah, he's moving on to terrorize a whole new age group :)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Except U25, those old people (24 year olds) need some extra weight!

Alternatively, I could, I dunno, train?

Some sort of handicap system would make for interesting racing though... I need 7 on that English bloke

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Some great ideas there guys, I'm not really fussed with the how but as long as everyone that is faster than me is handicapped in some way I'm all for it. ;)
I do especially like the idea of weight handicaps though.
And Australia, are you serious, training, there has to be more to it than that!

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I looked and could'nt find any so decided i had to MAKE some instead......
yeh, I tried that and found it to be too difficult - nowdays I just enter races - hence I feel obligated to get my moneys worth so I drop whatever I am doing and spend time hammering - best training ever:)

WildWassa

Banned
Perhaps the top part really is double black, but we only rode on the green section.
zed, thanks for your reply Mate, it is much appreciated. Being always the doubter, I'll go and take a better look at the double black diamond track with a green tint? ... I'll take a better and more enquiring look, than I've taken so far.

Cheers Mate. Zed if you are in the area and perhaps looking for a riding portrait (or two), let's go and have a look (together) at the track and you can show me what you know. I'm always up for some Classic style MTB photography.

Warren.

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time recipe

Originally Posted by steve24

got a recipe for that steve?

Ingredients; 1x Alarm clock (mob ph will do)
big cup of Very strong coffee
2x good bike lights
lots of tail lights and reflective stuff
warm clothes
some kind of bike
at least 150g of motivation
optional; some kind of chocholate

Method; Set alarm clock for 3-4am in another room, near enough to hear, far enough you have to get up to turn it off.
Use auto pilot setting to make coffee, (some other carbs can be added)
put on warm clothes.
Try to find where you left the motivation (i always seem to miss place mine. Since Canberra i have lost it completely.....)
grab lights, fit as many rear lights to bike as possible.

Note: if baby wakes before you get out the door let the mix rest until tomorrow.

Last edited:

quiggs

Likes Dirt

2x good bike lights
warm clothes
some kind of bike

Method; Set alarm clockfro 3-4am in another room, near enough to hear, far enough you have to get up to turn it off.
put on warm clothes.
Try to find where you left the motivation (i always seem to miss place mine. Since Canberra i have lost it completely.....)

Note: if baby wakes before you get out the door let the mix rest until tomorrow.
I have been working to a similar recipe, 4 times i have set the alarm to get out and ride and 4 times I have rolled over and said i'II get up tomorrow, the next day rolls around and the lovely has had a shitty day with the little one and I conceed its in my best interest that I better stay home just incase he wakes up earlier than should./he never does

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt

2x good bike lights
warm clothes
some kind of bike

Method; Set alarm clock for 3-4am in another room, near enough to hear, far enough you have to get up to turn it off.
put on warm clothes.

Prolonged exposure to Steves making time recipie in conjunction with staying up till 1am every morning to complete uni work may be detrimental to your health. Consult your doctor or other registered health professional before starting any exercise program.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt

2x good bike lights
warm clothes
some kind of bike

put on warm clothes.

Thanks for sharing that Steve, it sounds very similar to the concoction I've been playing around with, except the baby bit, my ones grew into big sleep monsters that don't emerge from their caves till well after the sun is up (on a weekend I can do a 3+hr ride and still be the only one awake when I get back). I also find having the clothes ready at the end of the bed helps with a quick get away, cos the quicker you get out the door the more chance that you'll be on the bike before your sane brain wakes up and realises what your doing or in your case before the baby wakes up.

Finally able to post here after more than 2 weeks of touring around Australia after the race. I want to say thanks to all the riders, crew, organizers, sponsors of this year's 24 Hr WSC. It was a fantastic weekend and awesome course. Russ, CORC and Stuart put on a memorable event that I am glad to have made the trip to experience. Congratulations to Jason and Jess on their world class performances.

I also need to thank Stuart at Twenty4Sports, Exposure Lights, Frank Le Brun, the rest of Team Canada and especially my support crew for their much appreciated hard work.

We all very much enjoyed our Aussie experience and will definitely make a return trip in the near future.

Cheers,
Solo Steve

I took some time off from riding to see your wonderful country. We covered from Adelaide to the Whitsundays in 3 weeks so no shortage of things to do. Next time I come will include more events.

Thanks for a great race Russ. Hope to see you again.