2011 SRAM Singletrack Mind Series

abevern

Likes Dirt
nice vid. Did you do some smoothing out of the chest-mount footage? It looks like the frame is moving around to stop the viewer getting motion sickness. Never seen that before. How do you do that?
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Yes, the chest cam footage had a "smooth cam" filter applied in two planes (x,y and rotational). I found the chest footage is generally hard to watch compared to footage from solid mounts due to the shake. The motion compensation takes about 15 minutes for that 20second clip at native resolution (720p) on my dual core laptop. You can remove the black edges by using a zoom, but I quite like the effect of the dancing edges, it gives more of an impression of what's happening at the wheels - though it's lost a little bit in the streamed version. If you cared enough, you could download the original from vimeo, though I doubt anyone would :)

/offtopic

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
Mt Annan - the story continues

Great news from Mt Annan Botanic gardens, the location for round 5 of the SRAM Singletrack Mind series.

Phase 3 of track building is starting soon and the new, longer course should be finished for the STM round on 18 September. Woot! First race on the full course!

Trails don't exactly build themselves so once all the heavy lifting has been done by trail designer Brett Barnes and his team, Mt Annan is asking for volunteers to attend a working bee, mainly to groom and finish off the trails.

Please email Dan Bishop at Mt Annan if you're interested in participating so he can get numbers and possibly move dates to suit more people: daniel.bishop@rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au

We'll be there and by coming along you could win a free entry to the SRAM Singletrack Mind Series as well as being the first riders to lay eyes on the new tracks!

Mt Annan is a great facility for SW Sydney MTBer's so we urge you to get behind the trails and show the State Govt that this is a great model for future government owned land and facilities.

Cheers, Joe & Fi.

Last edited:

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
Entry for Round 4 closes soon!

Just over 24 hours until entries close for round 4 of the Singletrack Mind series at Wingello. The course is a cracker, all great stuff - no fluff! We look forward to seeing you there!

PS: Amongst all the other great prizes we have for you this round, one of our random draw prizes is a set of kerazy light XO brakes!

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
masters

I just entered, but there was solo only, is there no masters category this round?

I don't want to get my ass kicked by these single-speeding whippersnappers,
I want to get my ass kicked by old blokes.

Fi

Chocolate Foot
I just entered, but there was solo only, is there no masters category this round?

I don't want to get my ass kicked by these single-speeding whippersnappers,
I want to get my ass kicked by old blokes.
There is a masters category, but you needed to be an old bloke on 16 April 2011 to qualify ... so you're still considered a whippersnapper for this season! Looking forward to next season's Dr Eggs vs Alchemist showdown!

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a masters category, but you needed to be an old bloke on 16 April 2011 to qualify ... so you're still considered a whippersnapper for this season! Looking forward to next season's Dr Eggs vs Alchemist showdown!
seriously?
crap, i gotta read that fine print

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Anyone got the scoop on how muddy Wingello is after this weeks rain?
I imagine it will dry out and be fine with the next couple days looking OK forecast wise, but thought I would ask incase it is a mud pit?

Rida

Likes Bikes
Anyone got the scoop on how muddy Wingello is after this weeks rain?
I imagine it will dry out and be fine with the next couple days looking OK forecast wise, but thought I would ask incase it is a mud pit?
From past experience the single track seems to drain pretty well after rain, although it doesn't hold up so well if it is actually raining while you ride. Slippery as, but probably not a drive train eating mut pit. There was a fair bit of rain on Wed/Thurs so fingers crossed it stops in time for the track to dry a bit.

Any chance of anyone posting a track condition update on Saturday?

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Weather forecast is getting more promising by the hour! This is the one we've found to be most reliable in the past ... but of course, anything can happen in the Highlands!

Cheers

Fi

Rambler

Likes Dirt
I live about 25km from the forest. We had a very heavy downpour on Tuesday night registering about 16mm in the gauge. Today we have had a miserable day of wind and rain with another 17mm of rain in the gauge. Looks like the majority of the weather is clearing and I would bet with confidence that you won't encounter conditions like the Otway/Husky or Dirtworks. ie mudpits. As has been stated, the trails up here are fantastic given a little time to drain. Saying that, it will still be damp. Watch out for those roots which become treacherous in the wet just before tangles. Have fun!

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Competitor Update

Dear Singletrackers

Some of you may already know there has been a bit of rain in Wingello and it’s currently raining on and off. However, the forecast for later today and tomorrow is much better. So, at this stage tomorrow’s race will certainly be going ahead, however please read below for a few changes to the schedule and event setup:

1. The Event Centre will now be at the Forest Camp, as shown on this Google Map. All event camping will also be here. Parking will be on the fireroads nearby and will be managed by Southern Highlands Cycle Club (SHCC) tomorrow morning.
  2. There will be no official practice this afternoon – in order to minimise wear and tear to the trails whilst the rain is possibly still falling.
  3. Registration this afternoon will be from 3pm-6pm at the Event Centre/Forest Camp.

We have taken on board the advice of Forests NSW and the SHCC, and their opinion is that with the relocation of the Event Centre, they support the running of the event. Assessment of the trails and any necessary repair work will be undertaken by ourselves and the SHCC as soon as possible after the event.

Should there be any change to the above, we’ll notify you by email at 3pm today – but at this stage, tomorrow’s event is going ahead! You may get muddy, you may get wet, but the Wingello trails will still be super fun and grippy (albeit with a bit of moisture) and we’re looking forward to a great day tomorrow!

Cheers

Joe & Fi

mikecin

Squid
What a great event! I was very worried about the rain given the carnage to my bike at the Husky, but it was largely unjustified. The first couple of laps were excitingly slippery, but it didn't rain at all during the race and the track got better and better as the day went on. There was only a few short places that remained muddy (and only about 1cm of slippery mud) with the rest of the track getting faster. I didn't notice any tearing up of the track either, which is good news!

How was that section of mud on the fire trail about 100m from the first singletrack? I soiled my chamois every time!

Another great event from the Chocolate Foot guys! Thank you, and thanks to the marshalls and the Southern Highlands club!

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
The first couple of laps were excitingly slippery, but it didn't rain at all during the race and the track got better and better as the day went on.

How was that section of mud on the fire trail about 100m from the first singletrack? I soiled my chamois every time!
Yeah, my experience was similar. I really struggled with my useless-in-mud tyres on the first lap - they had virtually no grip whatsoever on those slippery corners. I managed to stay upright though. It started improving straight away - the second lap was noticeably more fun. It was great by the end.

It was a shame that they had so much fire trail at the start/end of the lap - most likely a result of having to move the event centre further away from the single track?

That section leading into the first single track stayed slippery right to the end. It sure scared me too - I visualised the kind of stack you could have there at that speed...
I also managed to get mud in my eye EVERY lap going through that. I learnt to squint as I went through it on my last lap.

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Seemed like a necessary evil to add that 40km/h fireroad - but it was a great race, big thanks to SHCC and Choc Foot for making it happen and with good roads in and out!

I loved the first few laps, good mud tyres make those sort of conditions fun. Must ride in England. ;) But when the track dried out, it got even better.

If only Anti_Trainer had come along, it could have been one of the most thrilling SS races at all time, complete with multiple sections above 200 rpm. ;)

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Pics now available

The awesome pics from our event photographer Dave Bateman are now available in the gallery ... enjoy!

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Gello

The awesome pics from our event photographer Dave Bateman are now available in the gallery ... enjoy!
It tasted so sweet, a little gritty but sweet all the same.

Thanks to ChocFoot for another great event and those who braved the forcast to turn up for another STM round.

Words @ mcrummy.blogspot.com, and a little GoPro to capture the essence.

Great work.