VIC 2012 INTERwinter Series . 4 races, 4 clubs. May 13, June 3rd, July 8th and August 8th

moorey

call me Mia
As most people are aware, I like technical courses. However, for every corner, obstacle, climb etc there is an effect on the peloton. The two sharper corners this year saw riders being withdrawn from course earlier. To combat the rapid attrition rate, you have to utilize an open course. More riders can then hang on which means more exciting racing. I see your point, but in this particular application, it wouldn't work as well.
Then the 'peleton' (and yes, its technically correct to call it that, but a very liberal application in an event like that) need to HTFU. Its an MTB event, not a road event, with all due respect. Make it tougher, so that skill plays more of a part than just fitness. either way, I
I'd be out of the running a few laps in.

Not turning this into a whinge, It was an awesome day that i'd go to weekily if I had the chance:clap2:

.stu.

Likes Dirt
That said, people seemed to enjoy it....as did i for the whole 5 laps before being unceremoniously pulled from the course (no doubt it was either an Anti-Moorey conspiracy or a dress code violation...or both)
You had time to count laps??!?

akashra

Eats Squid
A good shorttrack course should allow for passing at any point of the course.
Along the back it gets a bit dicey, and while you can go two wide, the natural occurrence is the field files in to a single file.

- The first year (2008) they ran the XCC (as part of the GMBC Winter Series), we went down the path towards where we started, and left in to the singletrack (which was more direct at the time). While it was a tactical race (which I won in B) and awesome course, it prevented any passing for a good part of the race.
- The second year (2009) it went down past where we went this year, and in to the end of Boulder. That meant we went over the boardwalk, mostly single file (back then, you could go down off the boardwalk and bunnyhop back up). Again it was close, but it meant a train leading in to the finish line - I finished third in B (I think?), where it was just too difficult to get alongside between the corner exit and the finish - the race was over when we went in to the singletrack on the last lap.
- The following year (2010) we went down the hill in to the quarry with the course as a hotdog. I can't remember where the course went that year, but I got pulled as the B grade race split in to little bunches early on - that was a pretty open course which I think only went down as far as that tree you had to duck under at the hairpin.
- 2011 was pretty much the same as the 2010 National Series crit course - so we could use the same shortcuts/tricks as an A/B line, and was a lot of fun. However it was about as open as you can get, which is ideal for an XCC course.

This year was a lot shorter a course. It was great that it was open as it was, you wouldn't want an XCC/STXC race to have any more 'single' track or similar than what it did. Courses like Glenorchy while yeah, they're great fun with a massive climb in the XCC, string the field out too much because of the way you really have to go single file downhill through the berms and through the forest section.
Illinbah had a great XCC course for the most - a grass field. But it was ruined by a short singletrack section that forced you in single-file.

As much as you might like riding technical trail, Moorey, XCC is not the place for it. XCC is short, fast, tactical bunch racing. Sure, have an A line where you have to huck a rock; but it needs to be able to be ridden in a bunch with drafting and overtaking. That's what the format is about - tactics, speed and sprint finishes. It is in fact the point that an unfit, good technical rider should do poorly in it - complete the opposite to how a fit, unskilled rider would do poorly in DH.

There's nothing wrong with a course where there needs to be accelerations out of corners. Just so long as you can go through that corner 2, 3 wide.

moorey

call me Mia
As much as you might like riding technical trail, Moorey, XCC is not the place for it. XCC is short, fast, tactical bunch racing.
Thats what roadie scum racing is for, isn't it? :eyebrows:..... I'm not suggesting tailoring it my personal preferences, but its MTB. Simply taking it off the black stuff doesn't make it MTB in my opinion.

Sure, have an A line where you have to huck a rock; but it needs to be able to be ridden in a bunch with drafting and overtaking. That's what the format is about - tactics, speed and sprint finishes.
Who suggested hucks? Do you really think that on a short course like that, drafting came into play?

It is in fact the point that an unfit, good technical rider should do poorly in it - complete the opposite to how a fit, unskilled rider would do poorly in DH.
Any race designed to penalise good technical skills (not saying that I have it, by any stretch of the imagination, hense smashing myself on the wooden burm), is dubiously relevant in an MTB event.

BTW, I heard this from a lot of people..not as a whinge, but as a belief that it could be an even more awesome day.

akashra

Eats Squid
There is a technical element there - keeping your momentum up through the corners as they are, and using it to reduce output.
You will have noticed a few riders were exiting the final corner with a lot more speed than others - making up places on corner exit as they managed to conserve energy there.

Not everything is about what line you take over a series of rocks.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
As much as you might like riding technical trail, Moorey, XCC is not the place for it. XCC is short, fast, tactical bunch racing. Sure, have an A line where you have to huck a rock; but it needs to be able to be ridden in a bunch with drafting and overtaking. That's what the format is about - tactics, speed and sprint finishes. It is in fact the point that an unfit, good technical rider should do poorly in it - complete the opposite to how a fit, unskilled rider would do poorly in DH.

There's nothing wrong with a course where there needs to be accelerations out of corners. Just so long as you can go through that corner 2, 3 wide.

Be it a dirt crit or a road crit, the concept is the same -> short laps, furious pace at your threshold/anaerobic HR. The longer you can hold your limit for, the longer you will last. If you are unfit, you won't last in a crit. If the guy in front of you drops the wheel, you have to use all your energy and strength to catch up again. Thats a relevant skill to have in racing, mtb, road or otherwise.

Watching all the grades race was incredibly exciting and racing in it even more so - hearing the cheers of the people really gets the adrenalin going. Its amazing how tough going flat out for 10 mins + 3 laps is. I know I was spent at the end of it!

There was some technical aspect/skill to it - cornering! If you stuffed up a corner, it could mean not holding the wheel of the guy in front and getting dropped from the bunch.

I was impressed at how the riders were being pulled off the course without impacting the others riders - superbly organised which was the theme of the day really.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Do you really think that on a short course like that, drafting came into play?
I saw drafting in both the women's and A Grade race. There was drafting in the B-Grade race as well - I know because I was doing it to get a slight breather before trying (unsuccessfully) to catch up to Liam (who seemed to be getting further and further away each bloody lap!)

Any race designed to penalise good technical skills (not saying that I have it, by any stretch of the imagination, hense smashing myself on the wooden burm), is dubiously relevant in an MTB event.
I would have thought the different events catered for different types of skills - those skills could be technical, climbing, power, endurance, fitness, etc - all skills are needed whilst riding. The 3 stage event tested them all.

BTW, I heard this from a lot of people..not as a whinge, but as a belief that it could be an even more awesome day.

We were obviously talking to different people because the people I was hanging around with loved it.

serowe

Likes Dirt
GMBC could always re-use the cpourse used for the Nationals in 08 (?? right year I think?) - around and around and around the dam....and, if they are really brilliant at it, organise it with the same weather conditions! (Sorry Rich...)

akashra

Eats Squid
GMBC could always re-use the cpourse used for the Nationals in 08 (?? right year I think?) - around and around and around the dam....and, if they are really brilliant at it, organise it with the same weather conditions! (Sorry Rich...)
Worst
Course
Ever.

serowe

Likes Dirt
BTW steve, how are those images going? tick tock ;-)
What? you mean you haven't checked the web site (http://www.mtb-images.com.au) ??

Juniors, B Grade Time Trial (could only cover one grade unfortunately) are there now. Crits are going up grade by grade (the slowest part is actually putting them on the web site) and about to start naming the XCO images - so there!

One word of warning to anyone who links to any of the images on the web site - don't! I will be moving images around soon - if you go in through the main site address you won;t notice any difference but, if you link directly to any images, chances are very good you will end up with broken links (as some who have placed links to their blogs would already have found out). The host I am now using has made it easier to streamline how I store them on the site so I am gradually cleaning things up - plus, a software (major) upgrade recently in the software I use to generate the site will mean a complete and toal overhaull anyway...

I'll post a message whn the XCO have finished uploading (by current speeds, that will be a few hours away yet - all have been named, but the pages have yet to be generated and then placed in the queue to transfer).

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
What? you mean you haven't checked the web site (http://www.mtb-images.com.au) ??

Juniors, B Grade Time Trial (could only cover one grade unfortunately) are there now. Crits are going up grade by grade (the slowest part is actually putting them on the web site) and about to start naming the XCO images - so there!

One word of warning to anyone who links to any of the images on the web site - don't! I will be moving images around soon - if you go in through the main site address you won;t notice any difference but, if you link directly to any images, chances are very good you will end up with broken links (as some who have placed links to their blogs would already have found out). The host I am now using has made it easier to streamline how I store them on the site so I am gradually cleaning things up - plus, a software (major) upgrade recently in the software I use to generate the site will mean a complete and toal overhaull anyway...

I'll post a message whn the XCO have finished uploading (by current speeds, that will be a few hours away yet - all have been named, but the pages have yet to be generated and then placed in the queue to transfer).
Top work Steve :)
Once that National Broadband Network gets installed in 2050 it might take a few mins quicker ;-)

serowe

Likes Dirt
Pics please :)
Seeing as you asked :) These 4 pics were taken during the XCC on the start, lap 1, lap 2 and lap 3 - all showing the same rider. Look at the ground, his bike, clothes and - say no more!

Open _MG_4994.jpg
Start
Open _MG_5076.jpg
Lap 1
Open _MG_5106.jpg
Lap 2
Open IMG_1535.jpg
Lap 3

I can't find any pics of Tim after the start (not sure if he finished or not) and can find no further images of this rider (sorry, don;t know who he is) but he was one of the CLEANER finishers judging by the images I have!

So - you asked, Rotorburn delivers (yet again!!!)

Last edited:

serowe

Likes Dirt
LOL - bike service? More like bike disposal - the clay ruined so much it wasn't funny. The section in the start photo was about 2 inches of pure mud right along the causeway - it was treacherous!