VIC 2012 INTERwinter Series . 4 races, 4 clubs. May 13, June 3rd, July 8th and August 8th

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the bike wash station! I stopped after my third lap and gave him a good clean and re-lube and he was happy for my remaining 3 laps :) Yet to take apart and inspect for damage though :( fingers crossed.
P.S Maybe next year you guys should think about getting sponsored by muck off and have a muck off station to clean your bike between each lap :-D You could call it the "Ballarat MTB Mud Fest". We all know thats what it is now!! :-D

Stew41

Likes Bikes
With respect to Rd 2 does anybody know if the course will be the same as the 2011 race? (Lap distance suggests so?).....and..........any available Garmin / GPS data would be much appreciated..........cheers

Knut

Troll hunter
Congratulations Ballarat

I would like to say that the first round of this year's Inter Winter captured every aspect of the initial concept. A club had free reign to use their imagination and showcase their trails, management skills, club presence and soul that make that club.

The location, facilities, atmosphere, trails and enthusiasm to execute a top class event, was above any level of mountain bike race I have been to. Although, the muddy conditions were a little unfavorable. The cold start was uncomfortable. But, when it was hailing... I wasn't going to stop because I was having so much fun! The course was the best XC circuit I have ever ridden. Ever. I absolutely loved it. Many times I forgot that I was racing.

I passed and was passed by some well mannered folk. Who reminded me that mountain biking is a very cool thing to do on a cold and rainy day in Victoria. I had the opportunity to push a mum up a hill for mother's day. I spoke to my wife on one of the hills. I descended with some maniacs and was greeted by happy volunteers.*

Changing down too many times accidentally caused a broken chain. So I ran the rest of the way back to the finish. Then this lady from a local bike shop, who I had never met, lent me her bike. A Scott Scale 29er! What an awesome gesture. This is mountain biking fifteen years ago.

My eyes are still wide open from how much fun that was. Summed up in two words...

Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

dyon

Likes Bikes
tubeless ron/ralph were awsome at all times. crossmarks get a bit mental because of the central spine that makes them roll well.
I had no problems with ralph front, race king rear. Both @ 20psi.

Great race, I really enjoyed it while it was slippery and then loved it when the track hardened up again but smoother than it had started.

Any pictures around?

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
With respect to Rd 2 does anybody know if the course will be the same as the 2011 race? (Lap distance suggests so?).....and..........any available Garmin / GPS data would be much appreciated..........cheers
Yes it will be the same course as last year.

We'll have maps etc up on rockyriders.com, Facebook and Rotorburn very soon.

roaddog

Squid
must agree with Knut...

i have to agree with Knut whole heartedly, all you guys and gals were so friendly and it made for a seriously fun race, sketchy as when it was wet, but that's to be expected!
I'd be interested to know how many people flatted throughout the day, it seemed like every lap there was at least 1 (4 on my first lap) person fixing a puncture, and always at the same spot (you probably know the spot)
overall best race I've ever competed in

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
It never rains in Creswick

All meteorological arguments aside I just wanted to send out a big thanks to all those who ventured out on a cold day. What a great race.

Big Thankyous to Phil Timpano the master of ceremonies, that transition area was a work of art.
Paul Mathers and his long suffering daughters for clocking all those numbers.
Antanas for organising the course drainage and marking, i can tell you that once again there is not a puddle on the whole course. Tim and Gayle from Navajo Avanti -Scott for getting out to support the race. Dave Tannard from Ballarat city cycles for his infectious enthusiasm on course. All the marshalls who were caught out on the course in that storm too.

From the Novotel Michael Daviss thanks for being such a generous host. Huge thankyou to head greenskeeper Kel Oswin who in the last six months has learnt as much as you can about mtb'ing via Youtube. Kel has done many hours on the course all in his own time.

Thanks to my dog Digby for the excuse to go on evening walks with a hoe in hand. And to my wife Elizabeth for putting up with so much trail talk.

See you when the Winter is over back in Creswick for the next big BSCC event, The Brackenbury. I promise that the course is bigger and better again. October 19-21.

Dr Fuentes

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
INTERWINTER ROUND 2. Burnt Bacon XCO. Castlemaine

The best Prize on the day will go to the rider in the best Pig Costume.
Click on the poster for more info and the map for a better resolution version.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Yeah, and mine tells me that somewhere between laps 2 and 3, there was a landslide and a cliff introduced to the course. Barometric sensors are not to be trusted for elevation profiles when the weather changes :)

Knut

Troll hunter
It must have been hell out there for you two! I only had hail and mud. Glad I don't have a Garmin.

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
There was hail? I must have been in the trees or something. I was pretty happy to have packed the singlespeed. Like Knut I really enjoyed the atmosphere and how nice everyone was on the day. No one seemed to be packing any "tude". The Ballarat gang get super props for the best toilet facilities at a race. I had a lot of fun.

Attachments

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Easily the best race I've been a part of in my brief racing life!
Hats off to Everyone involved!

There must be some photos floating around by now?
Any clues?

roaddog

Squid
There must be some photos floating around by now?
Any clues?

check out the ballarat mtb club page on Facebook, there are 50 or so on there