VIC 2013 VES Enduro Series.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode the course today and think it's around 11 or 12 km around. There is plenty of road sections for passing and to give you time to eat and drink.

Remember to bring your own drinking water.
PB did you log the course with a Garmin? I'd love to see it on Garmin connect (or send me the gpx file) as GMBC's map is a little dodgy in the ages of GPS bike computers. :tape:

I was out there early, early Sunday morning braving the cold to do my regular loop and while the track was still pretty wet it needed the rain; I can imagine its going to be perfect for the weekend.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
PB did you log the course with a Garmin? I'd love to see it on Garmin connect (or send me the gpx file) as GMBC's map is a little dodgy in the ages of GPS bike computers. :tape:

I was out there early, early Sunday morning braving the cold to do my regular loop and while the track was still pretty wet it needed the rain; I can imagine its going to be perfect for the weekend.
Yeah I garmin'ed it. Sort of. I took a few wrong turns here or there but rode 3ish laps. I'll post up a link when I'm back at the pc.

sossy

Saucier

Come on Cul, it's the flat track, how much info do you need?

There's single track, fire road, the mild undulations may feel like climbs late in the day, but other than that, you need to get to the start line, and pedal, pedal, pedal.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
3hr solo & junior team

I just entered the 40 plus solo 3 hour and my son with his mate in the junior 3 hour teams event.

How serious are the competitors? The two kids are 11 but pretty good riders and do races up Ballarat way. This will probably be the longest race they have been in.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Come on Cul, it's the flat track, how much info do you need?

There's single track, fire road, the mild undulations may feel like climbs late in the day, but other than that, you need to get to the start line, and pedal, pedal, pedal.
Hey, it takes a lot of preparation and hard work to be this slow :flame:

... and it's not "flat track", Kurrajong has more than 3m elevation change! Western Plantation was real FLAT TRACK!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Crazy Sox still Open

The good people at Entryzone <http://www.entryzone.com.au/> have decided they can keep Crazy6 entries open until tomorrow night (Thursday) so you can still save yourself a few bucks and get your name on your raceplate!
If you can help out with course set up on Friday arvo please give Alan a call on the club phone 0407433682
If you can help out on Saturday with Rego (8am-9.30am* and/or* 11.30am-1230pm), marshalling (from 9am), or pack up (from 4.30pm) please email us back asap.* The Race Crew needs you!
Tania* (for the GMBC crew)
*PS: Don't forget your crazy sox*

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
This rain should help keep the dust down a little..
I was out cruising around the course this morning - it's super grippy and nice... If we get a few sprinkles between now and Saturday it's gonna be as close to hero dirt at the YY gets. For the curious - this strava segment is the course. Last year it had rain, but dried out a fair bit as the race went on - expect the course to be at least this fast again this year.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1127167

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
teams racing is BACk

thanks everyone for the entries into the VES. should be a fun race on saturday.
Lots of teams have entered.

remember to bring your , striped, long, colourful, .......... ......... crazy sox.,

dowey42

Likes Dirt
Looking forward to this...maybe not the early start, but the riding and company on the trail will no doubt be good as always. :smile:

serowe

Likes Dirt
Images from todays event are now available at http://www.mtb-images.com.au - images are now displayed name order - First name/Last name.

Please remember - do NOT link to photros on the web site as they can, and often are, moved around to make use of available space. The web site doesn't care where I place the images, but if you link to one, chances are the link will be broken!

Last edited:

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great race enjoyed my first XC race a lot, out of interest are the 2 and 3 man teams going to combined for the entire series? Because that kind of sucked.. Not much point in having a 3 man category to enter in is there if this is the case?

In saying that.. Fastest 3 man team out there! YEW! lol Go Rocky Mountain and congrats to all the place getters and event organisers for such a well run race.

Rhys

sossy

Saucier
Great race enjoyed my first XC race a lot, out of interest are the 2 and 3 man teams going to combined for the entire series? Because that kind of sucked.. Not much point in having a 3 man category to enter in is there if this is the case?

In saying that.. Fastest 3 man team out there! YEW! lol Go Rocky Mountain and congrats to all the place getters and event organisers for such a well run race.

Rhys
Hi Rhys,
Yep, pairs and triples combined for the series. If you check the ves website, for 2013 there is solo categories and teams categories. The reason you could enter pairs or triples was purely for the entry process to work, so you could enter a third rider or not. These changes were a result of the rider survey that went out last year, combined with freshening up the series with the feedback received. If you look at the results from events, there isn't a lot of difference between pairs and triples performance.
The advantage in a three person team for the series is if a rider can't make it, keep the same team name and enter as a pair and you're still in series points.
It pays to check the website and entry forms for events, the info is there if you look, just checked vicenduroseries.com.au and the teams change is on the front page.

akashra

Eats Squid
Not much point in having a 3 man category to enter in is there if this is the case?
My understanding is it purely looks like there is one because Entryzone can't handle a 'team' being either two or three, so two separate entry items had to be created. They both go in to the same pool.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that's fair enough, I didn't do the entry so didn't see the website, there was a pretty big difference between us (the fastest 3 man) team and the 14 faster pairs teams, to me guys who are not as fit would possibly get a chance of a place in a 3 man team where as they miss out now.

I haven't raced previously in XC before only DH where they have classes for all different levels (elite, expert, sport etc) of riders not just the fittest I guess, makes it more rewarding for guys who are middle of the field or trying to move up in their classes.

Maybe worth a mention just in the presentations the fastest 3 man team, im sure there is interest.

Thanks anyways.

Rhys

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was a great event, with a good atmosphere!

Was my first race for about 5 years, and while I was questioning my sanity after about 3 hours... I did enjoy myself.

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
That was the deepest VES pairs field I've seen for years... Hard work - For perspective last year I picked up a podium at every round I raced - this round ... 8th. Unreal vibe, loads of people and heaps of super fast racing - in the box all day.

paggnr

Likes Dirt
Another great event. However over the past 10 years this would have to be the WORST passing behaviour I have ever encounter.

The passing after the 3hr mark was out of control as the fresh fast 3hr races entered the frey. Lots of abuse as they passed.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Another great event. However over the past 10 years this would have to be the WORST passing behaviour I have ever encounter.

The passing after the 3hr mark was out of control as the fresh fast 3hr races entered the frey. Lots of abuse as they passed.
The abuse wasn't confined to the 3 Hr racers - there was plenty coming from some of the leading 6 Hr groups as well trying to get past the 3 Hr back markers. But you are right - the last few events I have been around at the You Yangs have shown plenty of aggravation from riders which I haven't seen in the past few years!