VIC 2013 VES Enduro Series.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
hmmm. ?????

Another great event. However over the past 10 years this would have to be the WORST passing behaviour I have ever encounter.

The passing after the 3hr mark was out of control as the fresh fast 3hr races entered the frey. Lots of abuse as they passed.
280 riders is a lot . do you think the 3 hour should not run as apart of a six hour race? or do you have any other solutions or ideas. We pride ourselves on running happy events which people enjoy, this is the first we have heard about rudeness. Solutions please.

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
Passing Abuse

The problem with the 3hr being part of a 6 hr is the closing speeds in the last hour.

As a 6hr struggler I was just rolling along by the end, and in the last hour being passed by fresher 3hr elite riders was a bit hairy.

I had no trouble with any abuse, but a few guys cut corners around trees to get passed, and a few just ride by without saying anything, ok on a road bit but scary on the single track.

More communication is needed, the fast guys need to yell as they approach so we slowpokes know they are there, and then yell again when they want to pass.

sossy

Saucier
There are always going to be a few prize dickheads at any event.

At the briefing we mentioned that any rider behaviour reported would be taken up with the rider in question, and a second complaint after that would be a DQ. I spoke to 3 riders in total, and I know someone else spoke to a couple of riders as well. Of those I spoke to, they weren't aware that they were being seen that way, majority of it is riders cutting back in too early. As someone who gets passed a lot, I always ease off to let them pass, my safety and enjoyment is as much up to me as it is anyone else.

General rule is that slower rider has right of way, but I saw first hand yesterday slower riders being completely unreasonable and not letting riders through when they could have. Maybe I am a simple man, but I would rather have that faster rider out of the way and off my arse and be able to enjoy the trail and the race, rather than be worrying about what they are up to.

Funnily enough, most issues came from middle of the pack riders being passed by people who are lapping them... I don't get it, let them through, they aren't affecting your race any further.

The 3 hour riders were briefed on the start line about the issue of passing fatigued riders, I was passed by the pointy end of the 3 hour field and it wasn't the first few riders that caused any issue for me, it was those a little further back thinking they were the first few riders who had the issues.

The 3 hour event is now a part of the series, we dealt with it as best we could, maybe other rounds will run the 3 hour for the first 3 hours, we did it the way we did so that everyone finished at the same time, and we had the best presentation numbers we have had for a long time.

We put in extra fire road to assist with the numbers, maybe next year we will run two seperate courses, it was discussed this year, however a week before the event we had about 50 riders coming - hard to justify people marking out two courses for that few riders.

You win some, you lose some - Just ask Phil, he watched us put up the speaker cable, commented that it was a good height, then drove his car through it with his bike on the roof. - It doesn't always go your way.

serowe

Likes Dirt
There are always going to be a few prize dickheads at any event.

but I saw first hand yesterday slower riders being completely unreasonable and not letting riders through when they could have. Maybe I am a simple man, but I would rather have that faster rider out of the way and off my arse and be able to enjoy the trail and the race, rather than be worrying about what they are up to.
I saw this as well - but from two different perspectives. The first when the faster riders came up behind a group of 2 or 3 'middle markers' (for want of a better term) and basically told them 'coming through!' and expected the slower rider(s) to just move over straight away.

The other side was the slower rider, who wasn't as experienced (and it showed), being *very* careful about where they would pull over and the lapping rider getting agitated - again, because they could see a spot for the slower one to move over, but inexperience didn't see that spot.

Patience is a virtue but, sometimes, the het of the moment clouds everyones judgement...

serowe

Likes Dirt
Images from todays event are now available at http://www.mtb-images.com.au - images are now displayed name order - First name/Last name.

Photo 6954 is not me
Email me from the web site (Contact us) with the name on the photo - this can, and sometimes does happen when numbers aren't clear on the plate. I'll be fixing up others tomorrow (I need the name attached to the photo - stephen at mtb-images dot com dot au please).

Same for anyone else whose image ha been mis-identified or marked as 'Unknown'.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
280 riders is a lot . do you think the 3 hour should not run as apart of a six hour race? or do you have any other solutions or ideas. We pride ourselves on running happy events which people enjoy, this is the first we have heard about rudeness. Solutions please.
He is not alone. I too was a struggling 6 hour solo rider and things did seem to go a little silly in the last 2 hours.
There were a couple of real hot heads in there that I don't think were 6 hour riders. Paul was great and would get past anywhere safely but a couple of others were getting shirty and I think they expected me to spear off the track when they screamed "TRACK" half way through the jumps.
I knew a was going slow by that stage and was keeping an eye out but yes, the closing speed was an issue.

Anyway, enough complaining. How about starting the 3 hour at the same time as the six? That way everyone is fresh and we all fade grow weary together? The only problem I see is identifying who has finished and who needs to keep going. But I think 90% of the field would know how long to go in their respective category.

I think the 3 hour category is great but may need some work. I also think that the crazy 6 round is very popular and things may settle down a bit at other rounds.
Thank you to the Geelong club. Another great event.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I think it is better to focus on the positives as there will always be a handful of knobs anywhere in life, be it work, drivers, commuter cup contenders, I could go on, you get the drift, but I agree it is never great when you encounter a negative. Only once in 15 years did I ever encounter such an incident so reckon racers are usually pretty good.

Personally I encountered only good things at the race (except for my legs which were like lead before I even left home).

I'd like to recognise Big Rich and the team at GMBC, Serowe and team for the pics, the 99% of you fellow riders who make it great, Rohin from Big Hill who has the easy booking portal plus caterers and anyone I have missed for again running a very slick event.

Races like this make it easy to decide to race.

serowe

Likes Dirt
One positive thing I forgot to mention - keep up the talking guys and gal! There are a few riders out there who have some great conversation as they ride around - a few you can hear coming for miles - well, humungous distances at least :lol:

Seriouly - the vast majority of riders I see (and hear) are having fun and, at the same time, competing. 'Race faces' (as someone asked their team mate when they passed me yesterday) are part and parcel of why I like taking photos of you guys - sp keep up the good work and enjoy it all the more!

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
I was lucky enough to be one of the passers (not because I am fast, but because I was one of a team and therefore less fatigued than most). I have to say that the people I passed were very, very polite and helpful. WITHOUT FAIL they were polite and helpful! Not one of them should have been abused by any rider, and it was always my genuine pleasure to thank them and wish them a nice ride. Sometimes it took them a little while to find somewhere safe and comfortable to let me past, so I had a chat to them as we rode and took a little rest. And guess how much those little waits behind a slower rider affected my result? Not at all. Zip. Nada. Having a chat and a rest with the riders I was passing made me feel even better about the whole event, and like all other GMBC events it was the Best. MTB. Event. Ever.

Honestly, it was just fucking brilliant. I was so over-excited when I got home I couldn't get to sleep. (Perhaps I need to get out more?)

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
I'm with you Timmy. Everyone was very respectful, could not fault any rider, fast or slow.

I was amped when I got home.

Thanks gmbcc. Can't wait for next year.

paggnr

Likes Dirt
Don't mistake me. The event was another great GMBC event and I think the 3hr concept is a great idea to get more people involved.

Maybe starting everyone together may work, however that is a lot of riders on the first lap that is already crowded - but maybe a better option than introducing fresh riders half way through.

Last edited:

dowey42

Likes Dirt
Agree with Timmy and Mars...really nice vibe out there and superbly run event. Well done to Rich and all the GMBC crew. Even when my bike packed it in half way mark of the 6hr and I was getting passed A LOT, people were very courteous on the whole.

Spewing again that I didnt Go Pro footage of another Gippsland rider going over the bars and leaving his face behind on the first lap. Something that place and Gippsland facial skin...

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
Yep, my favourite event of the year, and it's great to see so many people turning up. But on passing, it wasn't great this year. I came close to hitting trees a couple of times as people moved through unannounced. Can you believe some knob wanted to pass me through the jumps section? He got a very emphatic NO! It's not easy for inexperienced riders, but I try to hold my ground and wait for a better spot.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree with Timmy and Mars...really nice vibe out there and superbly run event. Well done to Rich and all the GMBC crew. Even when my bike packed it in half way mark of the 6hr and I was getting passed A LOT, people were very courteous on the whole.

Spewing again that I didnt Go Pro footage of another Gippsland rider going over the bars and leaving his face behind on the first lap. Something that place and Gippsland facial skin...

And then got stuck in like 8th or 9th gear.. I assume it was him. I sat behind him for his first lap.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
So on to round 2 at Mt Beauty. Too soon? Sorry about that. But anyway, this track is pretty much a 180 from the Crazy 6. Put your granny back on and grab some tyres with grip. You will also need some bike handling skills but mostly it's the climbing. Yes there will be hills. But the climbing is well rewarded with some great descending. It's a bit of a hike to get there if you're in Melbourne so I would recommend making a weekend of it or at least stay Friday night to avoid a crazy early start. It probably won't be as busy as the Crazy Sox but its bonus points for round 2. It's also right in town so you can grab breaky or coffee from the local bakery/caffe.
So in summery bring; climbing legs, granny gear and a can do attitude.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
The abuse wasn't confined to the 3 Hr racers - there was plenty coming from some of the leading 6 Hr groups as well trying to get past the 3 Hr back markers. But you are right - the last few events I have been around at the You Yangs have shown plenty of aggravation from riders which I haven't seen in the past few years!
Wonder if race number/stickers that must be visible on the cambelbak or jerseys would change behavior?

I was a 3hr rider and it was all around but nothing too out of the ordinary, mostly issues were guys who would call out track on fast sections from 15 to 20 metres away and you'd keep looking back wondering if they were still coming or not. Another funny one was a guy who gave a, "for f$%s sake" who was chasing a guy in baggies and a t-shirt just before the berms and couldn't keep on his wheel. Guy in baggies starts throwing tail whips over the big table tops and he still couldn't catch him, the guy who uttered the expletive seemed to be the one really at fault as the lead guy called track there was an opening where the fire trail intersected so I said, "up here come right" and lead guy said yup on your right thanks and he was about 5 metres behind that guy and said nothing then had a little sook.

My first VES and had a great time, the 3hr option starting at 1pm was a great option and even if it started 1 or 2hrs later I'd be up for it. For me having a young family Saturdays is helping the boss get a sleep in and was the real reason I took the 1pm option.

First lap had a bit of a prologue which most may not have known so didn't all take off on the course together. Granted there were still a lot of quick guys up front which on the first lap.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
hey piston broke,
you say grab some grippy tyres. would racing ralphs be grippy enough/
Yeah as long as its dry which it usually is because it drains really well. The comment about grippy tyres is more a case of not being too concerned with how it rolls, unlike round 1, which was all about speed. At Beauty you will need some skill, but there's nothing silly.