All Mountain Tyres

dunndog

Eats Squid
The 2.3 Aggressor has a materially smaller bag on it than the 2.35 HD. Additionally, it only comes in the harder dual compound (no 3C). I run it on the back and wouldn’t put it on the front (there are so many other better options available). Based on knob spacing and height I’d defiantly say that it’s happiest in dry conditions (Maxxis list it as Loose / Loose Over Hard / Medium).

On the front in summer, it’s Minion time. DHF / DHR2 in 3C, pick your poison, the large supported shoulder knobs hold on well when the trail surface is harder. The large flat area of the centre knobs on the DHF allow it to roll very well for a tyre which will give good grip.

In winter the HR2 and Shorty will win on the front because of their more open profile, and in the Shorty’s case lots of sharp square edges on the tread blocks. In really blown out summer conditions these tyres might work well too. To not be a Maxxis fanboy; the Magic Mary is awesome in softer / looser trail conditions.

The e13 TRS+ posted up by SDA is something I’m interested to here feedback on. From what I’ve read the super soft R compound is down around the Maxxis super tacky level of softness. The slightly harder + compound is meant to be better for trail riding as the R drags more.
I can confirm the hr2 works well in summer conditions, I regularly ride hard loose over dry conditions (you yangs) and the tyre holds up every bit as good as dhf's and magic mary's I've used in the past. Agreed too, I'd never have an aggressor up front. It's true what you say about the surface area of the dhr2's knobs, interstingly on Maxxis' labels they have the rolling efficiency of the dhr2 higher than on the aggressor?!
TransNZ in a couple weeks, I'll be running the combo I've come to trust and love, 2.3 HR2 3C f and 2.3 DHR2 rear. I'm not into changing tyres on a daily basis according to conditions, so these should cover all bases pretty well.
Famous last words, I know...:smow:

Last edited:

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
The 2.3 Aggressor has a materially smaller bag on it than the 2.35 HD. Additionally, it only comes in the harder dual compound (no 3C). I run it on the back and wouldn’t put it on the front (there are so many other better options available). Based on knob spacing and height I’d defiantly say that it’s happiest in dry conditions (Maxxis list it as Loose / Loose Over Hard / Medium).

On the front in summer, it’s Minion time. DHF / DHR2 in 3C, pick your poison, the large supported shoulder knobs hold on well when the trail surface is harder. The large flat area of the centre knobs on the DHF allow it to roll very well for a tyre which will give good grip.

Dammit, don't tell me that now... My Aggressor should turn up any day now and i've got a DHRII on the front (old now)... I was hoping the Aggressor gripped the same, but was a little faster rolling... On the front... I have an Ikon on the rear

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Dammit, don't tell me that now... My Aggressor should turn up any day now and i've got a DHRII on the front (old now)... I was hoping the Aggressor gripped the same, but was a little faster rolling... On the front... I have an Ikon on the rear
I think that the DHR2 would provide more grip (although I guess it depends on how worn it is). If you’re doing less demanding trails then the difference might not be that bad. If you’re sending down double black runs (with an ikon on the back) then the Aggressor could be out of its comfort zone on the front.

The difference between 3C and the dual compound will be noticed more in winter; however, a softer compound will still give more grip in summer.

YMMV so give it try and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, just put it on the back if you want more grip than the ikon.

SDA

Likes Dirt
The e13 TRS+ posted up by SDA is something I’m interested to here feedback on. From what I’ve read the super soft R compound is down around the Maxxis super tacky level of softness. The slightly harder + compound is meant to be better for trail riding as the R drags more.
The e13 TRS+ has been good. I've ridden with it on the front twice now, in hardpack and loose over hard conditions. I don't think it was designed for those conditions, however it still performs pretty well. I am confident it would be really good in looser conditions. No issues with the harder compound - the side knobs feel softer than the Maxxis dual compound side knobs.

It does come up a little square on 30mm internal rims, which is slightly noticeable at the initial turn in when cornering aggressively. But I will qualify that I am used to a Minion which has a rounder profile. I recall it being designed for 27-31mm internal rims, but I feel it would probably be better on 25-28mm internal rims.

Let me know if you want to hear about anything else.

Last edited:

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The e13 TRS+ has been good. I've ridden with it on the front twice now, in hardpack and loose over hard conditions. I don't think it was designed for those conditions, however it still performs pretty well. I am confident it would be really good in looser conditions. No issues with the harder compound - the side knobs feel softer than the Maxxis dual compound side knobs.

It does come up a little square on 30mm internal rims, which is slightly noticeable at the initial turn in when cornering aggressively. But I will qualify that I am used to a Minion which has a rounder profile. I recall it being designed for 27-31mm internal rims, but I feel it would probably be better on 25-28mm internal rims.

Let me know if you want to hear about anything else.
Thanks SDA, your impressions back up what I’d read elsewhere, and it’s good to hear that the + compound is still soft (my legs start to ache just thinking about pushing something as soft as the R compound).

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks SDA, your impressions back up what I’d read elsewhere, and it’s good to hear that the + compound is still soft (my legs start to ache just thinking about pushing something as soft as the R compound).
Hey Big AC- what front tyre do I need for my SCTBLT?

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
I think that the DHR2 would provide more grip (although I guess it depends on how worn it is). If you’re doing less demanding trails then the difference might not be that bad. If you’re sending down double black runs (with an ikon on the back) then the Aggressor could be out of its comfort zone on the front.

The difference between 3C and the dual compound will be noticed more in winter; however, a softer compound will still give more grip in summer.

YMMV so give it try and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, just put it on the back if you want more grip than the ikon.
That doesn't sound so bad... I don't go down double black runs, so it should be fine. The worst thing I do is have crappy technique which good tyres hide :)

The current DHR2 is fairly worn with the side knobs undercut a fair bit, probably done about 800km over 8mths or so, so I imagine it'll be bbetter than that, but as you say, I'd probably be better off on 3C when the weather gets colder

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Hey Big AC- what front tyre do I need for my SCTBLT?
If the idea of a smaller tyre than the HD is not appealing, then forget any maxxis in 2.3 (JD is on a 29er for those reading along). That only really leaves the 2.4 DHR2WT, 2.5 Shorty WT, and 2.5 DHF from Maxxis. The 2.4 DHR2WT and 2.5 Shorty WT are designed to work with a 35mm internal width rim so they could be very round on yours. The 2.5 DHF was designed around narrower rims (mid 20’s width should be ok) and it has a similar size to the 2.35 HD. It is heavier than the HD but rolls very well for a tyre with a lot of grip. There are a million reviews / comments about the DHF on the interweb, it works as advertised.

2.35 Magic Mary is very good but better suited for softer / looser conditions.

I haven’t heard much about bonty tyres, and haven’t ridden any, so I can’t provide any info.

Spesh tyres always seem to blow up small and require more PSI to stop them from squirming.

I went with the 2.5 DHF 3C and just ignored the weight. You can run the PSI in the mid to low 20’s on the front, and they have a big bag which soaks up the tree roots and small rocks. When I swap to MM / HD for winter I can notice the lower weight, for the first ride. However, when I go DHF / Aggressor in summer I notice a decrease in rolling resistance (not an increase in weight), its win / win. If you go for the DHF option just make sure you get the 3C compound.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
thanks Big AC

I dont need something as wide as a Hans D although it was the best front tyre for all three rides.

Im running a 2.35 Ardent Race on the rear over summer so just a 2.35 Highroller, Tomahawk or DHF should be fine. Keen to try a Forecaster in Winter.

I just cant bring myself to run a really heavy, chunky tyre. I wonder if a Trailstar Nobby Nic would be any improvement over the Pacestar for the front.

Last edited:

SDA

Likes Dirt
I will also add that I now understand what the reviews mean by "dampening". I can definitely notice the difference in feel when compared to the Maxxis Exo casing. It takes the edge off small bumps nicely.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Rock Razor 27.5 Yay or nay?? Most of my riding is done at Hobbs & Wombat. Obviously, if it's wet I'll change back to something bigger.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Rock Razor 27.5 Yay or nay?? Most of my riding is done at Hobbs & Wombat. Obviously, if it's wet I'll change back to something bigger.
No issues here with a rock razor at wombat, at least in the dry, prefer the aggressor on the rear if conditions are more sloppy. Only issue I have is the snake skin version is quite squirmy without plenty of pressure, prefer the super gravity version, happy with the weight penalty vs no squirm and more traction.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
No issues here with a rock razor at wombat, at least in the dry, prefer the aggressor on the rear if conditions are more sloppy. Only issue I have is the snake skin version is quite squirmy without plenty of pressure, prefer the super gravity version, happy with the weight penalty vs no squirm and more traction.
Cheers! I have a Nic on the rear of my Sight, but was going to throw that on the front and then put the Rock Razor out back. What are your thoughts on an Ardent front, Minion SS rear, combo? I had Ardents on my last bike and loved them. I'm getting sick of loosing blocks/knobs off Schwalbe tires.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Cheers! I have a Nic on the rear of my Sight, but was going to throw that on the front and then put the Rock Razor out back. What are your thoughts on an Ardent front, Minion SS rear, combo? I had Ardents on my last bike and loved them. I'm getting sick of loosing blocks/knobs off Schwalbe tires.
Not sure I would be game to ask MWI about Ardents on the front.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Not sure I would be game to ask MWI about Ardents on the front.
Oooh, this sounds interesting. Bad experience? Or just a plain bad idea??
Haha, yeah, I hate the ardent, its got no cornering ability whats so ever, and I've only used on the rear, not game to try it on front. Used the 2.25, 2.4 and 2.6 (DH) versions. So many low sides while using them. I found the Tomahawk, to roll as good as a ardent, but still cornering passably well.

That being said, I like how the ardent rolls on rail trails and really tame XC stuff. I also tend to use a 2.6 DH ardent at youies shuttle days, doesn't corner great, but with all the berms and great rolling, its alright.

My current favourite XC orientated tyre is a aggressor on the front, been a bit of discussion early on here about it, I've had no trouble with it riding some more off camber loose trails, lets you know when its going to let go, but now where near the same grip and a DHF, DHR2, Magic Mary, but for a rear orientation tyre not bad on the front, feels a lot like a nobby nicky.

My current tyre set up depending on what I am doing on the bike, I probably have 20 tyres in the garage and change them out regularly:

XC:

Aggressor / Minion SS (or razor, got the SS's cheap) - this has worked really well for me at Wombat, Anglesea and youies.
HR2 / Tomahawk

AM

HR2 / Aggressor
DHF / HR2
DHF / SS

DH
Magic Mary (Vertstar) / DHR2
DHF / SS (DH version) for more hardpack shuttling.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Haha, yeah, I hate the ardent, its got no cornering ability whats so ever, and I've only used on the rear, not game to try it on front. Used the 2.25, 2.4 and 2.6 (DH) versions. So many low sides while using them. I found the Tomahawk, to roll as good as a ardent, but still cornering passably well.

That being said, I like how the ardent rolls on rail trails and really tame XC stuff. I also tend to use a 2.6 DH ardent at youies shuttle days, doesn't corner great, but with all the berms and great rolling, its alright.

My current favourite XC orientated tyre is a aggressor on the front, been a bit of discussion early on here about it, I've had no trouble with it riding some more off camber loose trails, lets you know when its going to let go, but now where near the same grip and a DHF, DHR2, Magic Mary, but for a rear orientation tyre not bad on the front, feels a lot like a nobby nicky.

My current tyre set up depending on what I am doing on the bike, I probably have 20 tyres in the garage and change them out regularly:

XC:

Aggressor / Minion SS (or razor, got the SS's cheap) - this has worked really well for me at Wombat, Anglesea and youies.
HR2 / Tomahawk

AM

HR2 / Aggressor
DHF / HR2
DHF / SS

DH
Magic Mary (Vertstar) / DHR2
DHF / SS (DH version) for more hardpack shuttling.
Legend, good info. I might just snap up a Razor and put the Nic up front. Can't loose with that combo i reckon. Cheers MWI!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I had a 2.25 Ardent on the front, agree useless for anything but hardpack. Especially loose over hard, for me it was heart in your mouth. Wondering will it or won't it grip.. Way better tyres out there for hard though. Not sure where the ardent actually works well?
Another mate has a 2.4 on the front and he is not that excited about it either. In grippy slightly damp hard conditions they are great and roll very well.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The Ardent just doesn't look like a front tyre to me at all.

It has those horizontal tractor / snakebelly kind of tread that just screams back tyre only since I will lose traction as soon as I get too sideways. I think putting it on the front is a sign of courage and ambition :third: They make a pretty reasonable back tyre from my time on it though.