Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Pointless, stupid comment.

Hopefully wasn't also meant to be humor.
Ah Brucey, I can always rely on you for some warm and fuzzy feedback. I swear you have some kind of cyber radar set up just to alert you to anything untoward (IYHO).

As you were.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Might seem an odd question, but have you got your remote set up correctly?

When I first got a dropper my remote was badly placed. As a result I would put it down only at the top of the hill and then back up at the bottom. Just a more expensive, less reliable quick release. It was only really when I positioned my remote in the right place and it allowed me to raise and drop it on the fly that it transformed my riding.

It's not just for extreme/black sections. Even on a flat, smooth trail means you can drop it into a series of turns and really get down low and push into the turns. It just wouldn't be physically possible with the post up

redbruce

Eats Squid
Ah Brucey, I can always rely on you for some warm and fuzzy feedback. I swear you have some kind of cyber radar set up just to alert you to anything untoward (IYHO).

As you were.
Fine, but what exactly was the point of your post (#37)?

golden path

Banned
Might seem an odd question, but have you got your remote set up correctly?

When I first got a dropper my remote was badly placed. As a result I would put it down only at the top of the hill and then back up at the bottom. Just a more expensive, less reliable quick release. It was only really when I positioned my remote in the right place and it allowed me to raise and drop it on the fly that it transformed my riding.

It's not just for extreme/black sections. Even on a flat, smooth trail means you can drop it into a series of turns and really get down low and push into the turns. It just wouldn't be physically possible with the post up
Yeah, AFAIK it's set up fine.

I've had a play around with using the post, and just don't really find it especially useful to me.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I've had a play around with using the post, and just don't really find it especially useful to me.
I reckon just leave it there on the bike... and one day, when you're not at home on your local trail that you've done endlessly with the post at full height, but you're away riding somewhere well out of your comfort zone... you'll reach for that little lever and you will easily clear the knarly section and not go OTB.

Plus, just dropping the post an inch on non technical flowing descents is BLISS... the bike handles WAY better than with the post at full height... much more fun.

Anyway, just give it some time... my Wife and I use our droppers all the time, and we regularly ride unfamiliar trails safely that we would otherwise be walking down.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
No You weren't thinking of me when posting.

What was the point of that post?
I was using my own life experience in an attempt to be helpful. I realise now that this may have been inappropriate or even unhelpful, but at least it was authentic. I've been on this forum long enough to feel able to speak my mind. As you clearly attempt as well.

Pistols at dawn?

redbruce

Eats Squid
I was using my own life experience in an attempt to be helpful. I realise now that this may have been inappropriate or even unhelpful, but at least it was authentic. I've been on this forum long enough to feel able to speak my mind. As you clearly attempt as well.

Pistols at dawn?
Na, more like beers at sunset;)

golden path

Banned

Droppers at dawn?

Fixed. :pound:

jbg

Likes Dirt
I got a Camber last year. Rode it for a month then swapped the dropper out for a static post.
Didn't feel I needed one and rode Melbourne trails, Falls creek and Rotorua without one.
Went to Cairns and put the dropper back on because I know how steep and technical the XC trails are and soon found out how beneficial they are.
I don't believe they are a necessity but something to help if you feel the need.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
I am a short arse and find I only use about 50-75mm of drop, but wouldn't want to be without a dropper now. Even that small amount allows me to get back over the seat and make sure baggy shorts don't hook up.
On my commutes or endurance races, I will raise or lower it just a few mm and it moves the pressure points on the seat and makes me more comfortable and the tiny height adjustment is really unnoticeable for performance or efficiency - that and I'm never going to be at the elite end of a race so why not be comfortable and extend the length of the ride?
I occasionally ride my DJ bike for XC duties, and have even been contemplating buying a dropper for it! (Although on the DJ bike I move the post a heap more than 75mm!)

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
As already mentioned, dropper posts are one of the most evolutionary introductions in Mountain biking in a long time.
I believe that if used properly, they can increase skills and confidence (especially in novice riders) exponentially.

Personally I'd never have a bike without one (roadie excluded).

If you're used to riding a fixed post, it does take some perseverance and muscle memory training for a Dropper to become second nature.
It's documented in every article and review that droppers are conclusively a positive inclusion to any bike build, even by people who previously were skeptical.

It's up to the OP whether he want to fuck it off for a fixed post, but unless your an XC whippet counting every last gram, the benefits will eventually outweigh any negatives.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd also chime in considering we all have :D

my first bike did not have a dropper, it was a xc bike and riding anywhere with a decent decent had me rather nervy and in some cases really peeved i had to dismount, move the seat down and then get back on

my 2nd bike had a dropper and it was awesome, granted i have not ridden "years" without one, but since i have had one i won't ride a bike that is intended for both up and downhill without it, i'm a downhill rider at heart so i cannot account for the xc crowd but for me the only bike now in my stable without one is the DH Rig which literally has its seat bolted to the frame

moorey

call me Mia
As already mentioned, dropper posts are one of the most evolutionary introductions in Mountain biking in a long time.
I believe that if used properly, they can increase skills and confidence (especially in novice riders) exponentially.

Personally I'd never have a bike without one (roadie excluded).

If you're used to riding a fixed post, it does take some perseverance and muscle memory training for a Dropper to become second nature.
It's documented in every article and review that droppers are conclusively a positive inclusion to any bike build, even by people who previously were skeptical.

It's up to the OP whether he want to fuck it off for a fixed post, but unless your an XC whippet counting every last gram, the benefits will eventually outweigh any negatives.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
*You're....