Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

golden path

Banned
It's up to the OP whether he want to fuck it off for a fixed post, but unless your an XC whippet counting every last gram, the benefits will eventually outweigh any negatives.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Is it possible to be 100kg chamoised up, and be a whippet? :pound:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Is it possible to be 100kg chamoised up, and be a whippet? :pound:
Alas, 100kg = Clydesdale.

We bought two whippets as the theory is that the dogs and owners are alike... unfortunately it didn't work, as I'm Clydesdale minus five at the moment.

golden path

Banned
I've got a wolfhound x deerhound so I guess I'm kind of like him then.

'Cept I'm short legged and not as hairy.

Ok....not quite as hairy. :becky:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride with a couple of guys who also don't like droppers as well but they like more long distance stuff, with climbs and the regular trails are very flat. They don't see the benefits either. When we ride the same trails I use my dropper plenty. Any part that goes slightly down, tight corners etc. love the dropper.
I couldn't believe the difference when hitting a drop or jump with seat down. For me it's the difference between confidently getting air vs rolling over/down the feature.
I reckon it depends on why you ride. I ride for fun and fitness, prefer the downs more than the ups/flatlands and a dropper makes the fun bits way more fun.
If punching out the km's on dirt flats/hills is the go then a solid post is perfect.
Maybe it's an excuse for 2 bikes

static_X3

Likes Dirt
I was early on the dropper post bandwagon and echoed most ppl here. However, I went back to a fixed post. More out of simplicity and reducing maintenance/costs than anything.... just weighing up pros and cons.
Most trails in Adelaide I really dont miss it but there are a few spots where it would be beneficial and i certainly dont attack the steep stuff like i used to (although on a hardtail now too)

I have neen considering a lever actuated post (ks make one i think) too keep simplicity but make for quick adjustments when it would be greatly beneficial.

Has anyone had ecperience with the under the seat lever droppers?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chaos99

Likes Bikes
I was early on the dropper post bandwagon and echoed most ppl here. However, I went back to a fixed post. More out of simplicity and reducing maintenance/costs than anything.... just weighing up pros and cons.
Most trails in Adelaide I really dont miss it but there are a few spots where it would be beneficial and i certainly dont attack the steep stuff like i used to (although on a hardtail now too)

I have neen considering a lever actuated post (ks make one i think) too keep simplicity but make for quick adjustments when it would be greatly beneficial.

I just bought a KS eten under seat lever dropper for a hardtail build. Only paid $145 delivered so I thought what the hell.
I prefer the remote ones for "race mode" but if you're not in a hurry it is fine.
The lack of another cable, lever and associated maintenance is great though!

moorey

call me Mia

It's all I use, and still prefer it. Less hassles and neater. Not everyone's cuppa.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
That kind of stuff's never appealed to me at all. I'm just a humble trail rider.
Your reasoning for not digging a dropper all make sense but they don't necessarily match up with your choice of bike. You've mentioned that jumps result in crashes and that your preferred style of riding is more 'trail' than 'all mountain'.

That all makes sense to me but the choice of a stumpjumper seems like a bit too much bike. Serious question - why not the Camber or even and Epic?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
just got a 5" KS one, seems fine so far, good to use when going down macedon etc, even the smaller motorbike rutted shit around some of our gullies [betw. 50-100m elevation diff.] too difficult to put back up in the twisty stuff yet, hopefully ill get quicker/better at taking a hand off to give it a tweak

ppl have started to wonder why am i taking my hand off the bar to reach between my legs at frequent intervals

PS im from an XCo bent -i see the advantages, can hit sml rocky sections at full pace & carry a bit more speed out of them

chonox

Likes Dirt
slightly off topic but this thread reminded me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9imVeD3ARq4

To answer OP - no, bought a KS LEV in 2012 and through 3 frames, 3 overseas trips on rides in the wet/dry from XC/DH it still works today (never maintained) and haven't considered going back to fixed :)

Can understand why you feel the way you do though, initially I do recall over-thinking on when to raise/drop the seat and feeling I was ok on the downhill stuff seated (mostly due to laziness of having to hop off the bike and manually raise/drop seat repeatedly as I'd prioritise pedalling efficiency) but can attest that this becomes second nature over time, particularly on trails you are familiar with.

Advantages of riding down hill with your seat down are well documented but simply dropping your seat will not reap instant results. Unlearning ingrained seated-downhill habits, practicing new foreign techniques (dropping/leaning bike in corners, shifting body weight/position) all takes time and effort before realising the benefits of a dropped seat position.

I know you didn't start this thread asking for advice but there is a reason so many people rave about it! I vote for persevering with it as even if you aren't hitting 50ft gaps... simply cornering faster and being more stable in the air and being able to go faster on steeper/rougher sections at any level sounds like more fun on the trail for any MTBer!

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
My early years were spent hucking hardtails so the default seat position was down. It would then get put up whenever I needed pedalling to not suck. For me a dropper post is just the natural extension of this.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Something else to remember with a dropper… if you have been spinning in the climb, when you crest the climb, head downwards and drop your post… make sure you go up a few gears so you can exert reasonable pressure on the pedals. With the post down, you’ll be standing and spinning won’t be an option, and you'll need to be in a tall enough gear to crank.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Your reasoning for not digging a dropper all make sense but they don't necessarily match up with your choice of bike. You've mentioned that jumps result in crashes and that your preferred style of riding is more 'trail' than 'all mountain'.

That all makes sense to me but the choice of a stumpjumper seems like a bit too much bike. Serious question - why not the Camber or even and Epic?
I would guess the extra squish is just more comfy? How much squish is the question. I like my Trance more than the Anthem I am riding this week for all trail types just so smooth and supple. My xc hardtail was knocking me around on longer rides and I just have to admit to getting old.......

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit like comparing a people mover to a sports car on a tight twisty downhill. You can ride most things without a dropper but all other things being equal, being lower on a descent will be smoother and faster. On technical stuff, sooner or later your shlong is going to get squished with great force between your pelvis and seat. You'll appreciate how painful this is when it eventually happens to you! :rockon:

golden path

Banned

I'm not really into pigeonholing bikes into sharply defined categories, tbh. That sort of thinking is for fanciful magazine articles. TBH I'm enjoying the extra squish of the Stumpy as a heavy guy, and enjoy it on my local trails which can incorporate many different types of terrain.

If I was to go on a group ride from the LBS there'd be everything from carbon HT's to enduro bikes, I guess that's the same in many places.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It's only been lightly brushed over so far, but worth making more of a point - it really, really depends what, where and how you ride. Not everyone has aspirations of being the next Sam Hill (or DH hero of your choice). I can't ride with the things. Yes I'm an unashamed XC rider, but when it comes to lumpies I find I ride worse, on bits of trail I know, when the saddle is down. Being able to nudge the saddle with my thighs helps steer the bike, and when it's at knee-height I lose that point of reference of where the bike is.

Short version: if you ride in a manner that makes a dropper beneficial, use it. If you don't get any benefit from it, piss it off.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
People seem to be forgetting that, just because it can drop down to a BMX style position, doesn't mean you need to drop it the whole way.

You can drop it an inch or two, and even that makes a big difference. I don't like it all the way down either.

This is obviously with an infinite adjustment post, I'm finding my new Transfer easier to use than my old Command as that had a midway point that was a little tricky to locate when riding quickly.

tunsis

Likes Bikes
I'd rather ride a HT with a dropper than a dually without - for me the benefits are that pronounced.

I suppose it all comes down to riding style but even the elite XC riders now use droppers

dunndog

Eats Squid
It's only been lightly brushed over so far, but worth making more of a point - it really, really depends what, where and how you ride. Not everyone has aspirations of being the next Sam Hill (or DH hero of your choice). I can't ride with the things. Yes I'm an unashamed XC rider, but when it comes to lumpies I find I ride worse, on bits of trail I know, when the saddle is down. Being able to nudge the saddle with my thighs helps steer the bike, and when it's at knee-height I lose that point of reference of where the bike is.

Short version: if you ride in a manner that makes a dropper beneficial, use it. If you don't get any benefit from it, piss it off.
Nautonier made that point and got grilled for it.. it is 100% valid. I also agree that the style of bike doesn't quite fit the style of riding as stipulated by the OP, but again when this was nicely uestioned the response was a little afront.
Each to their own, and far be it for me to judge or tell anyone what's best for them, but if you ask a question you should usually be open to responses not trying to close them down. Otherwise why ask.
Just my 2c.