Are Hip Packs Cool ???

RichJS

Likes Dirt
These things - the Evoc ones in particular - are everywhere in Canadia. Saw one woman pull a hipflask out of hers on a Whistler chairlift and take a couple of good belts ... as you do.

Also, Race Face Stash bibs are like the Spesh Swat, except you can also store a water bladder in the back which is handy. The RF material is way less elastic tho, so they fit a lot firmer.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just ordered the Evoc one.

Apologies in advance for how stupid I may look, but my Kona has no (sensible) place for a water bottle and full packs get so sweaty this time of the year.
You don't need to offer up excuses to buy EVOC ok. We're all friends here. Well most of us I think. The LHIH thread makes me wonder....

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah, thats where I started, but then it doesn't help with the water bottle problem.

I use a hydration pack at the moment and its great in the cooler months, but over summer its horrible.

Putting a water bottle on the outside of the downtube doesn't appeal much either - trails are already pretty dusty.. Although I guess I should try it first.

I'll probably get one of those straps at some stage, if for nothing else to keep the tube and levers out of pack.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yeah, thats where I started, but then it doesn't help with the water bottle problem.

I use a hydration pack at the moment and its great in the cooler months, but over summer its horrible.

Putting a water bottle on the outside of the downtube doesn't appeal much either - trails are already pretty dusty.. Although I guess I should try it first.

I'll probably get one of those straps at some stage, if for nothing else to keep the tube and levers out of pack.
I'm the same. I use one of these when a trip is longer than my drink bottle can handle
www.pushys.com.au/camelbak-palos-lr...V2DUrCh0Omg3UEAQYASABEgKBtfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I couldnt give a shit about the cool part ,

But one of these look like they could come in handy on occasions ,

and for me not so much mountainbiking , my camelbak seems to carry what I need

But i ride a bike to other places like the gym or the beach

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just used the Evoc one I ordered a few weeks back. It felt really weird at first - its kind of like having a beer gut on your back, the way it wobbles up and down a bit as you pedal over rocks and things. Speaking of guts, if you are a bit soft in the middle, getting the tightness right might take a few goes (I take it you want it to sit firm on the hip bones, but YMMV depending on how partial you are to the beer and chocolates). Anyway, it felt weird on the first climb up, but after getting it to sit well, then it was so much better than a back pack on the descents. Keeps all the weight nice and low on your hips.

Was only a short 1 hour-ish ride, so still need to see if I'll get used to the back wobble over the next couple of weeks.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Ok, so I just picked up a Bonty rapid pack today and will be first ride with it tomorrow. Here is a quick low end vid of the product and what I fitted into it .....more to come tomorrow on the trail then I'll put it in product review later with full info.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ok, so I just picked up a Bonty rapid pack today and will be first ride with it tomorrow. Here is a quick low end vid of the product and what I fitted into it .....more to come tomorrow on the trail then I'll put it in product review later with full info.
Great review and worthy of a YouTube like. You carry much the same stuff as me including a tube but I have no sugary treats.

I'm really happy with mine. It works well. Wearing it a bit higher than I expected and it is more comfy for me. The water bottle sort of sits north of butt crack but south of the base of my spine.

I don't notice it so much when it is parked there. It did take a bit of time to get used to having more weigh around the waist but you get used to it or forget about it.

It shouldn't swing around much either and stay put.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Well I ejected my first bidon from the Rapid today, and was bummed because it was the bottle from the 08 World Champs.

I got to the top of the Serratta climb and went to grab a drink and no bottle, shit, I'll just do another lap and look for it as my first run down was lets's say less than flowing but I got about 20 metres down and was having too much fun so just got off the brakes -but that doesn't leave much time for scoping the trail side for a grey bottle. Once at the top again and now pretty thirsty I decide to walk the first part to look for it...nothing...ahh well only a bottle and I know where a few taps are around the place - no biggie - riding around a bend sitting in the middle of the fire trail on a flattish section is said bottle...pure operator error.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Been contemplating one of the Bontrager's for a while. How thick is the padding with a view to protecting your back from contents digging into it in the event of a fall?

nzhumpy

I've only had one decent stack with it and because the bottle is the largest thing on the belt it absorbed the impact, I was still sore but I would've been anyway, the padding is fairly generous but if you fall directly onto anything in there it's not going to tickle. I also wrap my multi tool and larger hard items in the triangle bandage/snakebit kit.

Reactions: T.3

T.3

Likes Dirt
I've only had one decent stack with it and because the bottle is the largest thing on the belt it absorbed the impact, I was still sore but I would've been anyway, the padding is fairly generous but if you fall directly onto anything in there it's not going to tickle. I also wrap my multi tool and larger hard items in the triangle bandage/snakebit kit.
Ok cool thanks for reply.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
society has yet to prove me wrong, but I stick by the philosophy of 'Scumbags Wear Bumbags'
It’s reffered to as “kaos pouch” my dude.

Bumbags will forever be the domain of white cargo shorts, sneakers and white socks bunched up around the ankles.

With a blue polo shirt

nzhumpy

society has yet to prove me wrong, but I stick by the philosophy of 'Scumbags Wear Bumbags'
Luckily mines not a bum bag, its a full endurobro pouch

It’s reffered to as “kaos pouch” my dude.

Bumbags will forever be the domain of white cargo shorts, sneakers and white socks bunched up around the ankles.

With a blue polo shirt
But that is my go to riding kit.