Are Hip Packs Cool ???

aanon

Likes Dirt
2 pages of answers to a question asking if a bag is cool? fuck me i've accidently stumbled across Kim Kardashians text messages.

Stoneyy

Squid
I think they're cool (says the married guy with kids rapidly approaching middle age who's not trying to impress anyone).

Bought the evoc one for the commute as I was sick of the backpack and haven't looked back, so much nicer. Makes me travel light but happy lose a few "essentials"

Haven't tried it on the trails yet so can't comment on off-road behaviour but you forget it exists pretty fast and super comfortable so imagine it would be fine.
Like many have said, they're so practical I absolutely give precisely no f@cks.
I've got a Kathmandu trail runner's one and get the odd comment from my mates but they are insecure and feeble.
It carries two bottles too so I can carry three on a ride including the one on the bike.

Rock it with pride mate.
The best bit is not having to take the damned thing off to get anything you're after. Just spin it around and get to it.
Totaly agree with both of these statements, I am happy to wear Lycra, ride a Roadie and love my Stand Up Paddle board, long through caring what I look like

Maybe instead of saying are they "Cool" should of said "Practical"!!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Cool? Who knows. Everything old becomes new again.

I broke my collarbone 3 months ago, and packs are still a very uncomfortable thing, so I grabbed one of the Source Hipster packs. I use it without the "harness", and it is very solid & secure.

Even racing at Stromlo a few weeks ago at the Enduro nats (ha, don't ask why, seemed like a great thing to do after no riding for 10 weeks), with 1.5L water, my phone, mini tool, chainlink, hanger, CO2 canister & head, a bunch of Gels and a couple of energy bars (did I say I hadn't ridden in 10 weeks? :) ), didn't notice it when the real riding started.

So much so that I'm quite sure I'll keep using it for anything longer than "water bottle only" rides.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think the Bontrager one is cool because it can take a water bottle.
I have the Bonty Rapid too for shortish rides which I only seem to have time for lately ... Damn you work .......
It works well and I think one of the better ones on the market. It doesn't feel hefty even with the water bottle and doesn't swing around.

Mine is all prepacked and only put in phone and a small water bottle and I'm off for crack of dawner.

BontyRapid.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ pussies...I'm pretty sure I've been up close with at least half of those designs

It's time for you wierdos to embrace this disgusting fad. Selfies wearing your bum bags!!!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Totally this.

I have the bontrager one
I have the Bonty Rapid too ...and a small water bottle
Interest piqued in this.

Does it fit a full size bottle or just a 500ml? My new bike has no room for a bottle inside the frame so i'm relegated to a pack which I don't mind too much but this looks like something i could use in the warmer months.

(I realise that the bottle will still collect a bit of muck but it won't be anywhere near as bad as under the downtube)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It will take both the smaller and larger bottles. For a short ride the small bottle is all that I need in the spirit of minimalism.

The only downside I can think of is that you have to stop to get the bottle out. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't need to stop but I'm not that guy.

Overall a pretty well thought out pack. I have a gas inflator + 2xCO2 cartridges in there in an attempt to keep everything in one place.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Stoneyy

Squid
It will take both the smaller and larger bottles. For a short ride the small bottle is all that I need in the spirit of minimalism.

The only downside I can think of is that you have to stop to get the bottle out. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't need to stop but I'm not that guy.

Overall a pretty well thought out pack. I have a gas inflator + 2xCO2 cartridges in there in an attempt to keep everything in one place.

Thanks Mr Crudley, it's great to get a review by someone who has one

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

Thanks mate, you've sold me, I'm in.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Hope it helps. It is a safe bet in the world of hip packs. Just pack wisely.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just ordered the Evoc one.

Apologies in advance for how stupid I may look, but my Kona has no (sensible) place for a water bottle and full packs get so sweaty this time of the year.