BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
tell you what, i'm glad i kept my bike rack from way back when so i didn't have to spend hundreds for another now.

and the 29ers only just fit which is a relief because it was made before 29ers was even a consideration.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
tell you what, i'm glad i kept my bike rack from way back when so i didn't have to spend hundreds for another now.

and the 29ers only just fit which is a relief because it was made before 29ers was even a consideration.
We all have had bike racks from way back.

I still have a split-able ISI extreme 2 bike or 4 bike rack and have had a few other shitters.

The new style shuttle racks carry up to 6 bikes without having to twist handlebars, juggle wheel hoops and fit bikes in everytime you load up, they are also a lot more compact on the back than a 4 bike rack jutting out 2m from the back of the car.

Its not a case not having or didnt already have a rack, the simplicity of these new vertical racks for those of us who need to carry numerous bikes is well worth the outlay.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Its not a case not having or didnt already have a rack, the simplicity of these new vertical racks for those of us who need to carry numerous bikes is well worth the outlay.
This. Very much this. Did I say, this?

Had many racks over the years, including arguably the best horizontal rack on the market. It was awesome…but still took 10 minutes to load bikes, checking that you had them in the right order so hoops lined up, bars didn’t rub, and the clamp wasn’t damaging your TT. And yeah, it hung out 2m and didn’t fold up.
How good is it to load or 5-6 bikes in the time your mate takes to assess the logistics and order of loading his. :D

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
This. Very much this. Did I say, this?

Had many racks over the years, including arguably the best horizontal rack on the market. It was awesome…but still took 10 minutes to load bikes, checking that you had them in the right order so hoops lined up, bars didn’t rub, and the clamp wasn’t damaging your TT. And yeah, it hung out 2m and didn’t fold up.
How good is it to load or 5-6 bikes in the time your mate takes to assess the logistics and order of loading his. :D
Yep that a winner for me, and the piece of mind that even with you forgetting to strap them in, it will take quite a bit to bounce them out.
There's nothing worse than driving along with one eye on the rearview mirror the whole trip stressing that your bike might fall off.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
We all have had bike racks from way back.
of course, im just glad i kept mine is all and im surprised the 29er fits as it was made long before this was even a thought, plus it wasn't a store bought one either but yes i feel ya on the jumbling things around, this was problematic even on our 16-20 whatever purpose built bike trailers from way back when, im sure those sorts of trailers are a million times better now than what they were way back when.

Plus this'll just be for one bike majority of the time so no biggie really.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep that a winner for me, and the piece of mind that even with you forgetting to strap them in, it will take quite a bit to bounce them out.
There's nothing worse than driving along with one eye on the rearview mirror the whole trip stressing that your bike might fall off.
Yep. Discovered bikes not strapped down a few times. Once on a 6h drive with bumpy back roads. It never moved. I don’t recommend it…but it’s a nice confession saver.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
of course, im just glad i kept mine is all and im surprised the 29er fits as it was made long before this was even a thought, plus it wasn't a store bought one either but yes i feel ya on the jumbling things around, this was problematic even on our 16-20 whatever purpose built bike trailers from way back when, im sure those sorts of trailers are a million times better now than what they were way back when.

Plus this'll just be for one bike majority of the time so no biggie really.
If I were to ever only need to cart one or two bikes max, a horizontal rack might be the way to go, just for the reason for not taking up as much space and some fold up quite nicely too.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If I were to ever only need to cart one or two bikes max, a horizontal rack might be the way to go, just for the reason for not taking up as much space and some fold up quite nicely too.
And if you have a normal sized car and don't want a massively heavy rack hanging off the back (for those of us with front drive especially ;) )

Last edited: