BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Minlak has something along those lines. Not sure if he has posted it. Send him a pm. When he gets back from killing defenceless humans he will get back to you.

BRADSTA

Likes Bikes
Hi All,
Just purchased a Santa Cruz HighTower 29 and need to carry it on the back of my triton TRAY ute. I was thinking of mounting (bolting) a roof rack style holder to the tray. Maybe a thule or rhino so i dont have to remove anything. Has anyone done this?
Cheers
Hi mate, what sort of tray/brand is on your Ute?
I made a custom rack that fits on the back of my fleet trades tray, holds my yeti sb6 and still get to use inside of my tray for work purposes. Will try and dig up a pic for ya!

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had some shenanigans last year with bike racks leading up to the B24 and words from my wife of "my fucking tallboy isn't going on that tallboy killing bike rack!!" Fair call as one dead carbon tallboy is about as many as you want to see in one year. So 48hrs before the race I grabbed a couple of Thule 598's. Pretty happy with them thus far, and although it's a 2.2m lift up to the racks once the wheels are up there the stabiliser arm does a great job at holding the frame while you lock the wheels down then clamp the arm down. At 3.2m total height anywhere a truck will go these will fit! One kids bike strapped to the crossbars in between works a treat. Added benefit of being able to take the bikes and the boat up the east coast and over Hotham back to Bright is a winner.
IMG_0521.jpg

reefer

Cannon Fodder
Hi mate, what sort of tray/brand is on your Ute?
I made a custom rack that fits on the back of my fleet trades tray, holds my yeti sb6 and still get to use inside of my tray for work purposes. Will try and dig up a pic for ya!
Hi,

My ute is MQ Club Cab with the mitsubishi supplied Tray. I will be taking the sides off and also installing a alu Dog carrier on the left front side.
Cheers

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,

My ute is MQ Club Cab with the mitsubishi supplied Tray. I will be taking the sides off and also installing a alu Dog carrier on the left front side.
Cheers
Any roof rack mount will fit - wheel on or fork mounted - provided you have enough room (dog cage doesn't extend full width) and aren't afraid to drill through the tray to fasten it.

reefer

Cannon Fodder
Just an update, I bought a Thule 598 and had some 4cm thick HDPE block made up to go between the carrier and the tray, I needed this to allow the tag ends of the ratchet straps to work. Does the job.
bike on tray.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
8E11F948-4C64-4571-98BA-80424CDEC89B.png
E88FC756-901C-467B-AB44-71884DE4AF48.jpeg
6B4E1CF9-C9A8-470A-AF69-425731BC82BF.png
52E557EA-467C-49C8-A3B0-1F067D5ECADC.png
Like your Yakima slickup coz it’s a decent, affordable rack that your wife can fold up, but she wished it would tilt down to allow the door of her Toorak tractor to open with bikes fitted?
Never fear, all you need is an angle grinder and a bit of touch up paint. Bobs your uncle.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Have been looking for a hitch mount platform rack for a while. Most seem to max out at wheelbases of 48" (with the exception of the $$$ Thule T2 Pro). Anyone used a longer wheelbase on the ones that are limited to 48"or any suggestions for a rack? My wheelbase sits at 50" - the joys of XL.
Would imagine the Gripsport and ISI racks would be plenty adjustable but seem like overkill and hence $$.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Have been looking for a hitch mount platform rack for a while. Most seem to max out at wheelbases of 48" (with the exception of the $$$ Thule T2 Pro). Anyone used a longer wheelbase on the ones that are limited to 48"or any suggestions for a rack? My wheelbase sits at 50" - the joys of XL.
Would imagine the Gripsport and ISI racks would be plenty adjustable but seem like overkill and hence $$.
I have one of the Yakima dual carriers with a 1280mm wheelbase. Still fits fine even though it recommends a max of around 1240mm or so.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Will deal with a 56 inch wheelbase

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2-bicycle-bike-rack-hitch-mount-carrier-car/CB-640A

evad

Likes Bikes
SO... I'm building a bike rack, hanging vertically from the front wheel thing like the old style recon rack (the new one is sooo nice but my manufacturing skills are almost as limited as my budget:)). I knocked up a dummy prototype to get some heights and distances sorted and was thinking of just welding a brace on the bottom using some 50 x 50 x 4mm SHS but I have noticed pretty much all racks use a friction fit bolt and plate style setup at the bottom, I presume this has to do with repetitive live loads cracking welds or is it just easier for engineer to sign off on a bolted joint because of known strengths?
Now I'm thinking 50 x 50 x 4 SHS projecting out of the hitch with 5mm mild steel plate both sides bolted through with m12 8.8 bolts. I would use 50 x50 x 4 for the vertical too and have 2 bolts up it @ 200mm apart? Total height to the basket would be around 1400mm so it's creating a pretty big leaver.
I'm a carpenter/builder so have some mechanical knowledge but metal work design is not my forte, any input would be most appreciated.