BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Weld is ok but dont mitre the corner. Square on and fillet weld plate gussets on the sides like the bolted version instead of the box brace. Easier to fabricate and plenty strong enough. Good penetration welds. If you cannot weld or weld neat strong welds get someone who can to do it.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently at work but here’s a rough sketch.
View attachment 344444
With the friction plate, there would be the option to put a bushing in the top hole and a hitch pin in the bottom hole, allowing it to tilt. But the bushing would take a lot of load unless you can scallop the bottom edge to take the vertical load but still allow tilting.

evad

Likes Bikes
With the friction plate, there would be the option to put a bushing in the top hole and a hitch pin in the bottom hole, allowing it to tilt. But the bushing would take a lot of load unless you can scallop the bottom edge to take the vertical load but still allow tilting.
Yeah I was thinking about that but my original idea was to keep it simple.

I love all theses rotating, swinging, drop down designs but it’s complicating something that really doesn’t need to be.

If I can just slap some plates on the side and weld them up It’s probably going to be cheap and easy.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Currently at work but here’s a rough sketch.
View attachment 344444
With a welded joint like that you are better to have flat plate gussets on each side of the SHS tube. Like with trailers, you need to avoid welding across the tube (like the direction of the car width) as this prevents cracking of the joint.
I'm working on a swinging vertical rack at the moment.

Attachments

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With a welded joint like that you are better to have flat plate gussets on each side of the SHS tube. Like with trailers, you need to avoid welding across the tube (like the direction of the car width) as this prevents cracking of the joint.
Looks like a carbon copy of the shingleback?

evad

Likes Bikes
Yeah cool, thanks for the reply. I was talking to a mate who’s a fitter and he was saying that also and talking about welds peeling from repeated live loading in that direction.
Thinking weld the plates on then bolt them as well.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Welding across the tension or compression side is ok as long as it is a decent weld with no undercut that could cause a crack to grow. It is temporary welds that are frowned upon because these are usually done without care. On large beams no preheat etc. More of an issue on the tension flange but ok if permanent.

evad

Likes Bikes
Mine will swing out to the side of the vehicle, that's the main difference, as these type of racks tend not to be able to tilt loaded.
Sounds awesome, send me some pictures when it’s done.
What’s your take on the torsional load on the tow ball attachment point? I could easily make the rack for 6 bikes but this looks to be the weak point and I’m questioning its ability to support load in that direction. Mine is rated to 250kg but I have heard using bike racks voids the warranty on some tow racks.

Stredda

Sounds awesome, send me some pictures when it’s done.
What’s your take on the torsional load on the tow ball attachment point? I could easily make the rack for 6 bikes but this looks to be the weak point and I’m questioning its ability to support load in that direction. Mine is rated to 250kg but I have heard using bike racks voids the warranty on some tow racks.
Shouldn't be that much load when swung out. The Reese tow bar on my Triton is fairly hefty so it may differ on different more lightly built bars.
The rack will direct the load straight through the tow bar when lock in the driving position, so it's only when in the open position that any torsional load would be placed on the tow bar.
I'll build a prototype and test it out for a while to see how it works before building any for anyone else.

Attachments

evad

Likes Bikes
Shouldn't be that much load when swung out. The Reese tow bar on my Triton is fairly hefty so it may differ on different more lightly built bars.
The rack will direct the load straight through the tow bar when lock in the driving position, so it's only when in the open position that any torsional load would be placed on the tow bar.
I'll build a prototype and test it out for a while to see how it works before building any for anyone else.
That looks mad! I hope it works could be a game changer.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will a light bar fit on it somewhere?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I might have a play with how I can integrate a light bar and plate holder. Tricky with this kind of rack
Best bet will be lights on a separate board like you can get for boat trailers and then hang this off the seatposts. Supercrap and the other suspects sell one that has a plastic board as the base so light (weight!) and no damage to bits.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I might have a play with how I can integrate a light bar and plate holder. Tricky with this kind of rack
We have almost exactly the same idea and I'm already building mine.
I have lights on mine though, it's not hard just have a think... took me a few ideas till I was happy with the placement.
I won't post pictures yet because I might go into production.

Stredda

We have almost exactly the same idea and I'm already building mine.
I have lights on mine though, it's not hard just have a think... took me a few ideas till I was happy with the placement.
I won't post pictures yet because I might go into production.
Ah nice. I'm probably not going to go into it too seriously, but I might have a few mates interested.