Black Dogs and mental shit in general

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
IMO, the only thing that matters about Christmas is spending time with loved ones and sharing a meal together.

I loved getting presents as a kid, but as an adult, it was the extended family gathering together that I missed the most, and it's that loss of connection that makes me incredibly sad right now.
Mate, that's easy to say for people with money and means.

A lot of those families that have nothing, cant even get themselves together at xmas, due to family arguments (usually over money) resentment and years of scraping by just drains the shit out of them. They don't put value on a meal with each other.

Australia is a very lucky country and most have excess... though not so many as there was at this point in time.
Doesn't really include anyone here with their black Friday bike part frenzy either.

***Checks email, realises moi has spent faark all in a few weeks ;)

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Mate, that's easy to say for people with money and means.

A lot of those families that have nothing, cant even get themselves together at xmas, due to family arguments (usually over money) resentment and years of scraping by just drains the shit out of them. They don't put value on a meal with each other.

Australia is a very lucky country and most have excess... though not so many as their was at this point in time.
Doesn't really include anyone here with their black Friday bike part frenzy either.

***Checks email, realises moi has spent faark all in a few weeks ;)
Yeah, I realize that, fair enough. In no way am I throwing shade on the experiences of people for whom Christmas was a clusterfuck of conflict, scraping to get by, and generally grim shit.

I would say that having some money makes Christmas less shit, and no christmas gathering I ever attended broke down into a fight with bitter drunken rellies throwing punches, so I could have had it worse, for sure.
But it doesn't stop the sadness for me, or make it any less valid.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Yeah, I realize that, fair enough. In no way am I throwing shade on the experiences of people for whom Christmas was a clusterfuck of conflict, scraping to get by, and generally grim shit.
I wasn't calling you out or insinuating you were taking away from the not so fortunate, just saying its ok for us who have a great life generally all year, to be able to say at the 'festive season', come around, bring no pressies, lets just have a family chrissy dinner... and expect happy faces to turn up :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
IMO, the only thing that matters about Christmas is spending time with loved ones and sharing a meal together.

I loved getting presents as a kid, but as an adult, it was the extended family gathering together that I missed the most, and it's that loss of connection that makes me incredibly sad right now.
It is not all peace and love for everyone. Families can be arseholes and gatherings hard work. I look at my oldest BIL family and quite honestly they all could be on their last cent and would still get together and it would be a great thing. My lot have people who bitch and whinge and try to make everything about them. My older sister's birthday was last month. She hit the three score years and ten. She did not want a big party, just dinner at a nice restaurant with family and so we completely ignored that. Middle sister, despite getting an invite from the oldest daughter and being told what the plan was decided that wasn't was happening and didn't turn up at the party until someone rang her. That sister then spent time going around to each and every one of the attendees saying that it wasn't her fault she was stupid. See we are not the same.

Christmases in my family were stressful and that was absolutely a money thing. It would have been better to not have any presents and just enjoy the time for what it was. It is fun to joke that presents are jocks and socks but that was the reality. And school books and uniforms. It didn't detract from the gathering but as a kid it was hard to catch up with mates and go to school the next year and make shit up so that it wasn't so obvious that you didn't get a new bike or a radio controlled aircraft etc etc. Kids see the world differently and I never understood why Santa would give some kids expensive stuff and we got handkerchiefs. This probably sounds bitter but it is not. Just remembering how it was. And we all know now that Santa is an arsehole. Treats his reindeer appallingly and runs a sweat shop of elves.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I f hate xmas. It has always been a bad time for me personally but I have always managed to pull a good xmas for my kids and my wife.

My 2 eldest kids have major mental health issues that have always dragged us down at xmas as a family. It seem to be peaking this year as they are now young adults and won’t listen to any common sense advice. They buy them selves gifts through the year so by the time you get to xmas there is nothing left to buy that is not useless crap and what they really need is cash to pay off debts.

I use to get creative and get comical gifts that made people laugh and have lost inspiration for that that last 2 years.

My approach this year to have a xmas where I just appreciate what I have and attend events rather then gifts and crap. My wife wants to do a cruise at xmas time and ignore everything. I was against the idea until now.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love Christmas. It is my favourite event each year. I'm happy if I am alone or with one or two people but just as happy if I have a huge crowd. I even enjoy all the fucking around with making food and drinks! And believe it or not, even when I didn't have a dishwasher.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Who has watched the Christmas episode in season 2 of The Bear…
Good god that was hard to watch.

I love Christmas. It is my favourite event each year. I'm happy if I am alone or with one or two people but just as happy if I have a huge crowd. I even enjoy all the fucking around with making food and drinks! And believe it or not, even when I didn't have a dishwasher.
You really are like a big puppy aren'y you? I love it. I think we all need to channel @pink poodle where we can

ozzybmx

Me too, I enjoy it every year.

Some years I'm working a 12hr shift on Xmas day, keeping the paaaaah on for you lot to cook yer turkey, some I'm between nights, finish Chrissy morning, back on Chrissy night. Mostly I'm off as they look after those with kids but mine are 17 and 18 so it's getting different every year.

I wouldn't even say it's a happy time for most these days. More people dread it approaching because of the cost, a big percentage hate it.

Do the cruise @Halo1, when my kids were young, we used to piss off in the camper for Xmas/NY, they were the best times. There with like-minded families, something to eat then a beer and swim in the river or lake. No family hassles, no hoo-ha.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Save a couple years ago where my sister had a surprise wedding on Christmas day, it's been 22 years since I spent Christmas Day with my parents. Mrs George's extended family are incredibly close and I needed zero reasons to not be with mine so we made a deal with Mother Dearest to do Christmas Eve with them so we could spend the whole day with the In-laws. End of proceedings Christmas Eve and Mother Dearest comes up to us and asks what time we'll be seeing them the next day. Are you for real Mother? They still can't work out why I don't spend much time with them.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
This'll be my first cold Christmas in nearly 20 years :eek:

I'm still not used to summer Christmas tbh

ozzybmx

This'll be my first cold Christmas in nearly 20 years :eek:

I'm still not used to summer Christmas tbh
I only ever went back with the family at Christmas as it was the only time the kids had 5 consecutive weeks off school.

Dark at 4:30pm and daylight a 9:00am, that was something I forgot.

ozzybmx

Bad Xmas's always start with the opening of the lynx africa gift set present :confused:
That was a cult following with the young blokes a few years back, I wonder do they all gravitate towards it at 14-15yrs of age, like we also did 35yrs ago :p