Bowden Spur Kinglake - Shepherds DH trail.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was there on Saturday and it was deserted. I'm only taking a guess here but it could be because the track is flogged. I live 15 minutes from it and won't be going out of my way in a hurry to ride it again.

Those off camber sections are wild times but that was about it.
so no one uses it because of the erosion? its got huge potential if it wasn't so cut up.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
so no one uses it because of the erosion? its got huge potential if it wasn't so cut up.
I've only bothered traveling out there once, not my style of track, a bit like copperhead in my experience, has the potential to be amazing track, but it's currently mediocre.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I've only bothered traveling out there once, not my style of track, a bit like copperhead in my experience, has the potential to be amazing track, but it's currently mediocre.
I reckon it shits all over copperhead, but I rate copperhead pretty low. Saying that though I haven't ridden kingers for a fair while, but hearing all the comments I have about the state of the track I'm not in a huge rush to get out there. It really is a shame, so much work went in to it and it's just going to waste.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
I was up at the track last week and noticed 2 other trails which were marked as "closed" on the main sign, including KL230 which was marked as single diamond. Am I right that these don't exist yet and the sign was created to cover future tracks which are planned?

Personally I think the addition of a nice flowy single diamond would add a lot to the place. I find Shepherds is a very two paced track, either really fast and clearing some big gaps, or really slow in order to roll over without totally casing the landings or ride around the obstacles. For riders that are in the middle (I'd say the vast majority) this doesn't make for the most satisfying experience. I'm not trying to bag the track or builders, you can't please everybody in one track. Just saying it would be way more the awesomerist for your "average" rider with the addition of a fun single diamond option, think Cressy but longer and less pedaling.
I think you're on the money with your criticisms of the track, having to slow right down to roll the bigger gap jumps (as opposed to a faster B-line) is unsatisfying indeed. That, and from memory, if you over-shot some of the berms in the mid-section, you'd go hurtling down a cliff. I'm all for technical tracks but that seemed unnecessarily dangerous.

Maybe we should throw some ideas around and try to come up with ways to improve the track so that it appeals to a larger group of riders? Then perhaps we could organise a working bee to fix it up. Not sure if permission would be needed, just seems a shame for the track to go to waste.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1, amazing how professional builders could have not thought about the design to avoid the erosion in the middle sections and make a course that is one dimensional in that it is only enjoyable flat out with high level skills - .

all that effort could have gone towards multiple tracks that have degrees of difficulty (and resistant to wear) that would have had a broader range of riders on it, now it sits idle unused - real shame.

if you read back through thread so much enthusiasm for project. I don't get it, where's all the kids enjoying the weekend doing runs?

Last edited:

razzeldazzel

Likes Dirt
Kinglake Project

Hey guys, so I have been in contact with some people about the Kinglake project. Currently, the other two lines are not going to be built in the short-medium future.

The idea is that once the first track is in good working order with necessary adjustments being made then more people will come to ride the track, then once the first DH track is 'problem-free', the other two tracks will get looked at.

So from here we need to highlight exactly what needs adjusting at the track. From what I can gather from my riding at Kinglake and discussion with others is that:
- Alternative B-lines need to exist at the larger jumps so that all riders have options (maybe a smaller and slightly table toped jump)
- Rock garden needs maintenance/slight adjustments
- Erosion sections need to be fixed
- Some have suggested that the off camber sections going off the fire road need burms? (thoughts?)

Please let me know via PM/this thread with any comments/suggestions so that we can keep this project moving forward.

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
- Alternative B-lines need to exist at the larger jumps so that all riders have options (maybe a smaller and slightly table toped jump)
- Rock garden needs maintenance/slight adjustments
- Erosion sections need to be fixed
- Some have suggested that the off camber sections going off the fire road need burms? (thoughts?)
+1 to all this. I haven't ridden at Kinglake for months due to the above issues. Could be such a fantastic track with just some moderate work done ( I'd be happy to help with the maintenance.)

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I actually think the off-camber you mentioned is fine, and I kinda like it. The only off-camber I see as an issue is one in the top third of the track, on a south east facing slope in the trees. It rarely sees decent sun, and any rain just turns it into a bog, making it a nightmare for maintenance.

As far as areas that need addressing. My thoughts are these:
- The top jump needs work. You have to pedal your ass off out of the gate to hit it and then land to flat. If it can be reworked, bring the landing back closer to the take-off with a higher steeper landing ramp, it would be nicer.
- There are no 'in-between' jumps to help people progress. You have to be good enough to hit them all and then do so, to keep your "flow". For the majority they are too big, and a run turns into a constant hump fest. Now I love a good hump... but not continuously on a bike. I would be happy with a couple of jumps to be tables to help progression and the rest left as they are to inspire me to improve my ability. I think this would also help reduce the footprint on the park in that B lines would not need to be built and therefore avoid widening the track.
- Re-direct that ridiculous left hand berm that is under the powerlines and right above the road. It still blows my mind that they thought that was a good idea. :rant:
- I'd like to see something done with the exit of the top third of the track that starts the open sections under the power lines. As it stands, you either need warp speed to risk a huge huck to land up next to the road, or you to suck up the hump and try to cope with the friggin' huge G-out in the middle and loose your speed as you pop up next to the road. How cool would a reworked jump on the right side be in a left hand wooden berm to shoot you down the powerlines section.

Anyway, I think for the most part, the track is OK, but it just really needs maintenance. I'm pretty sure the bushfire recovery grant was not given to allow for this kind of neglect. :tsk:

I hope they get this place sorted, but I'm not holding my breath.

marktarrant

Cannon Fodder
I have to agree with Yippee Ki Yay, there needs to be more table tops, but not as B lines, just make them bigger, so if you don't make, at least you can flat land on the top and keep going, but also gain the confidence to boost the whole way. I am more than happy to come up with my 2 ton excavator to help make some table tops and help fix the track where it needs it. Just let me know. Thanks

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Rode out there yesterday and like it has been said previously it does need maintenance and a few changes. I agree with the tabletop idea also, it takes away alot of the risk involved in big doubles. We were the only ones out there and it easy to see that it has been barely ridden which is a shame with all the potential it has and money spent. If you trav and the Youies crew need more hands happy to get on the shovel. The crew was hard at work at youies on sunday I saw ;).

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I'm pleased to let everyone know that the dirt masters from the You Yangs have spent the weekend on Bowden Spur giving Shepherds some much needed attention. They had two excavators out there from 7am to 5pm both days and have achieved a lot with the help of Parks Vic.

Most of the work was done to the top section, it now has 4 new tables, a brand new hip, 5 re shaped lips plus a few other tweaks which will completely change the way it rides. The tables will enable riders to hit the jumps at any speed making the whole thing flow for all levels and allow progression for everyone and there's still a couple of big doubles as well. Its now a unique section of track that will be awesome to ride, especially if you like to jump...

There's also been some work done further down under the power lines to help slow it down and improve the fun factor. More work is planned for the future so keep an eye out on the YYMTB FB page for updates. There's also a few pics from the weekends work.

https://www.facebook.com/YYMBI?ref=ts&fref=ts

The track is closed until next weekend at least so please try to stay of it if you can.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wonder how the trail has held up with this week's rain. Was hoping to hit it this weekend. Anyone involved in the build got thoughts. happy to let it rest another week or so...

Timbot

Likes Dirt
I wonder how the trail has held up with this week's rain. Was hoping to hit it this weekend. Anyone involved in the build got thoughts. happy to let it rest another week or so...
Surely you don't need the trail builders to tell you that trails built in the middle of winter need rest and sun to bed in?.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
So I'm pleased to let everyone know that the dirt masters from the You Yangs have spent the weekend on Bowden Spur giving Shepherds some much needed attention. They had two excavators out there from 7am to 5pm both days and have achieved a lot with the help of Parks Vic.

Most of the work was done to the top section, it now has 4 new tables, a brand new hip, 5 re shaped lips plus a few other tweaks which will completely change the way it rides. The tables will enable riders to hit the jumps at any speed making the whole thing flow for all levels and allow progression for everyone and there's still a couple of big doubles as well. Its now a unique section of track that will be awesome to ride, especially if you like to jump...

There's also been some work done further down under the power lines to help slow it down and improve the fun factor. More work is planned for the future so keep an eye out on the YYMTB FB page for updates. There's also a few pics from the weekends work.

https://www.facebook.com/YYMBI?ref=ts&fref=ts

The track is closed until next weekend at least so please try to stay of it if you can.
The changes look fantastic and I'm looking forward to riding up there when it dries out.

jarrod839

Banned
its tempting to ride kinglake, but think the best idea is to stay off it till spring. Don,t want all this hard work to go to waste and have history repeat itself.

Holf

Likes Bikes
so its closed? few of us were planning to hit it sunday. if closed guess have to find some where else to go lol, that has a easy shuttle road.

Fruity

Cannon Fodder
Shepherds Trail

Joined the forum tonight after searching Dannys name again on google (missing my mate)
and found this thread.

I was a mate of Dan's, and like everyone else he made me feel like I was his best friend when in reality he was everyones best mate. He was a great guy and it is awesome to see this thread still getting hits, hopefully someone can still maintain "Shepherds DH Trail" as he would have done back in the day.

"Bro Hymn"