Cairns World Cup!!

.dan.

Likes Dirt
Instead of forever praising World Trail how about providing some criticism? Will only make for better tracks for us to ride. I haven't ridden many of World Trail's DH trails besides Stromlo and some trails in Vic, but from what i've seen of their DH tracks, they build them too much like they build their XC & AM tracks. I think they build really good XC & AM tracks but their DH tracks seem too easy, smooth and boring for my liking. DH tracks have to be built in a different manner (yes I am a trailbuilder), if you're building more than half of the track with digging machinery then you're doing it wrong. World cup downhiller's do not want to be racing on a machine built, bike park type trail. The majority of WC tracks are mostly natural terrain which keeps it technical and exciting and opens up more line choice. I would like to see them use their experience of trail building to bring us a steep, challenging and technical trail, not a XC track. Lets not let this turn out like Stromlo WC and World Champs where the riders were complaining about the trail being too easy.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Firstly AWESOME news on Cairns getting the world cups & champs will be organizing the trip up can't wait!!!
I went up there about 4 months ago with the bike and had a ball, going back up in July
I have ridden Glens tracks for the last 20 odd years (and helped out with numerous working bees & marshaling the 93 & 94 world cups in Cairns) & I know Cairns will be a world champs course to a tee.

People are pretty quick to find faults with any DH trail & I know world trail are strongly behind keeping the natural terrain and keeping a low impact to the environment.
There's a fine balancing act between keeping every natural aspect of a mountain and building a sustainable track that holds the test of time.

Tracks like Stromlo are really loose gravely soil and the track had to be built as not to blow out in the first 6 months. Tracks like the Cairns 96 worlds are full of roots, rocks & rainforest trees & vines, the polar opposite of A.C.T & V.I.C
The tracks that get built these days are government funded and are required to be long lasting and cater to all levels of riders.

I'd say the best way to provide constructive criticism is to rock up to the next working bee with some tools and lend a hand, I know the Cairns mtb club & World trail will appreciate the help.
Nice work Cairns! think this will be a cracker!

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People are pretty quick to find faults with any DH trail & I know world trail are strongly behind keeping the natural terrain and keeping a low impact to the environment.
There's a fine balancing act between keeping every natural aspect of a mountain and building a sustainable track that holds the test of time.
Yeah exactly. The difference with cairns too, is that it's based in a world heritage conservation park. While we would all love to have a wide bunted steep hillside to pick multiple lines, it ain't gonna happen.

Knowing the terrain in Cairns, and the fact it's going to be built in the vicinity of the original 96 track, I am looking forward to see the result..

reillyh123

Likes Dirt
pre-build, preliminary track-walks done with a wide collective of builder and rider influence (let us not forget who lives in Cairns and who will be racing this 'home track' next year... ) one word: "eep".

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pre-build, preliminary track-walks done with a wide collective of builder and rider influence (let us not forget who lives in Cairns and who will be racing this 'home track' next year... ) one word: "eep".
Reilly, Is it being built on the old alignment, or will the old track still be intact??

madflap

Likes Dirt
The track will pretty much follow the old alignment with some sections removed to give better fall and less pedalling. New features will be added and following that it will blow your mind.
:)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The track will pretty much follow the old alignment with some sections removed to give better fall and less pedalling. New features will be added and following that it will blow your mind.
:)
Cheers Frankie, was hoping that the old track might be left, I love that track. It's a bit more All Mountain friendly :)

I am guessing anything World Cup standard will be waaaay above my comfort zone. Maybe I should make Bill go first ;)

madflap

Likes Dirt
THe track will still be ridable, to a degree i guess. The extra bits to be put in will be gated so they aren't to used by us normal folk so we dont kill ourselves. We will send bill first and see. It will be good. I have seen the plans and spoken to Glen and I know he has talked to riders etc... and walked the track several times. Track will be good.

indica

Serial flasher
http://www.facebook.com/WorldTrail

World Trail said:
After a few days building the new World Cup course, our trail crew are half way up the first clay rich, boulder strewn climb. This entire new section will feature huge boulder outcrops, and multiple lines.

World Trail said:
Cant say enough about the fluro-red Smithfield clay, certainly will make for some great riding, when complete. Pictured here, is the latest climb to be constructed in Smithfield, for the 2014 World Cup, which takes riders off a mundane road trail, and climbs through an old pine forest.

indica

Serial flasher
World Trail said:
Perched high on the new World Cup climb in Smithfield, Rhys Atkinson adjusts a few boulders into place on top of "Hells Gate"

World Trail said:
Adjusting a stubborn boulder, high on the Double Black Diamond "Hell's Gate" trail, Smithfield.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Looks great! will be good to see Cairns get the trails it deserves.
Is the Smithfield park ride able or is it off limits also will the world cup trails be open to the public before the race in April?
looking to get up there but not sure if it's best just to leave it till April

madflap

Likes Dirt
Sections of the park are closed for now for construction though some selfish fools have been riding the new soft trail and putting work back for the World trail team. The Trails are expected to be open for the Gravitate mtb Festival

http://www.cairnsmtb.com/category/gravitate2013/

so if you want to come up and have a look beforehand this would be the best time as once the rain comes over summer we will shut the trails to preserve them and let them settle.

Looks great! will be good to see Cairns get the trails it deserves.
Is the Smithfield park ride able or is it off limits also will the world cup trails be open to the public before the race in April?
looking to get up there but not sure if it's best just to leave it till April

indica

Serial flasher
Sections of the park are closed for now for construction though some selfish fools have been riding the new soft trail and putting work back for the World trail team. .
Probably the Atherton crew Frank.
They ride everything here way before it is open.

I truly hope it stops but I doubt.
Looking forward to riding FINISHED trails.

indica

Serial flasher
A small portion of the rainforest rock garden on the 2014 World Cup Downhill course in Smithfield, originally named "Gibbers & Goolys" back in the day.

While the large machines are shaping and moulding the high speed ridge lines on the new 2014 World Cup Downhill, trail builders, Tom and Steve are concentrating on opening up a super technical boulder garden, near the top of the course in Smithfield. This section will feature large, steep, fast, off camber boulders and jagged rock ledges. Trail Boss Tom Emery-Evens is pictured here removing backbreaking old timber, felled by the many tropical cyclones that frequent the region.

A huge boulder kicker, wedged high in the rock garden on the 2014 World Cup Downhill course is sure to test even the best riders. This particular section on the track, which opens up to multiple landing choices will be even more crazy in the rain.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have ridden down the Old Worlds quite a few times and none of that look familiar??

There is a rocky grove section not far from the top with a rock sort of like that, but it is just before a turn?? That rock garden sort of looks like where the old rocky section spits out onto a fire road??

Indica, can you shed any light??