Capital Punishment is GO

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
yeh I figured Melbourne, Brisbane sounded funnier though, how bad is the Territory on the fuel, we nearly ended up with one a two years ago - went the Subaru Outback instead
On that trip it used about 13.2L/100km. Quite heavy really. The bike was lying down in the back, so no extra drag, and I was the only passenger. I was sitting on about 115-117kmh the whole way though.
Around town it gets worse. About 15-16L/100 on mixed driving. It's a great car, just a heavy drinker. I love it though. It's an AWD Ghia which is the heaviest and thirstiest of them all. The newer ones are better on fuel.
If you could get one as a company car (mine isn't) it would be perfect.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On that trip it used about 13.2L/100km. Quite heavy really. The bike was lying down in the back, so no extra drag, and I was the only passenger. I was sitting on about 115-117kmh the whole way though.
Around town it gets worse. About 15-16L/100 on mixed driving. It's a great car, just a heavy drinker. I love it though. It's an AWD Ghia which is the heaviest and thirstiest of them all. The newer ones are better on fuel.
We went with a Subaru Outback (with the Premium 3.0L V6) in the end - drives a little better as a car, and is a little better on the fuel, but it was dearer and the back seat isn't great for long trips - but when I come to Canberra the backseats are typically flat to take the bike so it hasn't been an issue

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
Piston, I have a 2009 deisel Prado and I get 11km per 100km whether I have just me on board (not so good) or 5 bikes, family and camping gear for a week(awesome)! Best of all I can lease it through work. I was a potential Outback buyer, but very glad I went to the Prado.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Piston, I have a 2009 deisel Prado and I get 11km per 100km whether I have just me on board (not so good) or 5 bikes, family and camping gear for a week(awesome)! Best of all I can lease it through work. I was a potential Outback buyer, but very glad I went to the Prado.
Do you mean 11L per 100k? Got the turbo diesel Prado as well definitely the goods especially when its fully loaded pulling the Mother Ship (camper trailer) out the back.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
We went with a Subaru Outback (with the Premium 3.0L V6)
Not a V6, a H6, horizontally opposed boxer like all Subies ;) including the H4 deisel outback that will be in my garage shortly. Woot ;) 6.4L/100 combined cycle :eek: 350Nm... blah blah ;)

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
We were looking around last year for a newy & I gave these a miss because of the terrible fuel economy. Nearly bought a Kluger, for all its uglyness that V6 is awesome.

None of the wagons you can get at the moment impress me, the manufacturers only build half a wagon now.

Oh, my VT with a trailer on only used 9l/100 on our trip home from Melbourne last year, uses 7.5 on the same trip without the trailer & it has 230,000km on the clock. I wish i could replace it with the same car it is that good, pretty reliable & cheap to fix :cool:

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how bad is the Territory on the fuel, we nearly ended up with one a two years ago - went the Subaru Outback instead
Mine's done 60,000k at an average of low 13/100. Not great but not horrific for a 2.5 tonne AWD truck, and I don't exactly tread lightly on the throttle.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Mine's done 60,000k at an average of low 13/100. Not great but not horrific for a 2.5 tonne AWD truck, and I don't exactly tread lightly on the throttle.
I average less than that with my 2.0 turbo diesel Tiguan and while towing a 2 tonne trailer.

I'm a convert - Diesel is the future! :D

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
Entry $150
Fuel $120 (2001 Subaru Outback H6 @10L/100km with bike on roof)
Accommodation $280 (2 nights)
Food $100
Event Jersey $95
Complete bike strip and rebuild including hubs, fork and shock 10hrs
New pads, cables, jockey wheels, chain, granny ring, hub bearings, $200

Actually finishing 100k in those conditions and having a day that I will never ever forget... Priceless!!!

All in all though not a cheap weekend at almost $1000. Whilst I did enjoy it, I will be a DNS in future races where the conditions are that bad.

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Less than half the female starters finished the whole course - over half either withdrew during the race or got short-coursed.

The time cut-off seemed so generous before the day, once the conditions became what they were, that time cut off suddenly wasn't so generous...
Yeah, my girlfriend got a flat just past the 80km tent. She'd made the mistake of strapping her pump to the bike rather than leaving it inside her camelbak and it was useless due to all the mud on it. She walked back to the tent and was told she only had 30 minutes to make it to Stromlo before they stopped letting people go up the hill, so she sat down and called it a day.

She was furious about it. It's her only DNF ever - and she's done the Otway, 12 and 24hr races in a pair, etc.

I can't believe the fuel figures of 11-13l/100km people are quoting here. A decade-old corolla with a couple of people inside and bikes on the back averages better than 8l/100km on a trip Canberra-Melbourne. Imagine if it was turbo-diesel instead of petrol!

Also, why count food expenses in the race costs? Were you planning on not eating all weekend if you didn't do the race? :p

On another note, I checked out Majura last night. It seems the rain all day Sunday has smoothed out the churned-up track somewhat - it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Still dozens of sections of track in need of some remediation, but could be worse. Will probably be good for Sunday's race .. as long everyone else stays off it until then.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A decade-old corolla with a couple of people inside and bikes on the back averages better than 8l/100km on a trip Canberra-Melbourne.
We need to compare apples & apples though, the Corolla would weigh what, 1300kg? Plus my 13 is a combined figure with 80% city k's, on the highway it's much better. (not 8, more low 10's)
Agree though that diesel is a good thing, if there was a good diesel available in my price bracket when I bought the Terry 3 yrs ago I'd have looked at it. (No a Daewoo Captiva doesn't count).

Back on topic, I feel for your GF - we were at risk of missing the 90k cut and I remember telling my mate that come hell or high water we were getting there, pulling out at 80 must have been tough.

Also - anyone else wish they did a CP T-Shirt? I have plenty of Jerseys already and $95 was a bit steep IMHO, but would happily wear a CP finisher's shirt, especially this year :p

nayto

Likes Bikes
My 2 and a bit tonne Landrover Defender (2.5turbo 5cyl diesel) averaged a touch under 11L/100km, driving at mostly 110km/h. Around town it can scrape in at under 10L/100km. Its revving quite high at 110. Pretty good for a car with aerodynamics of a huge BOX!

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Damage report from the race so far: 2 sets of brake blocks (vee brakes) $20 that i have to replace due to the race. I am also replacing brake cables due to the fact that they are 12 years old & I think I am stretching the freindship with them.

When I fanally washed my bike on Tuesday the head stem was jammed with mud so I am expe ting to have to replace those bearings too.

72Fury

Likes Dirt
I can't believe the fuel figures of 11-13l/100km people are quoting here
Try 20 litres / 100km. Our 72 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupe averaged just a tad over 5km / litre on a trip to Adelaide. 7.2 litres of American big block. Factoring in the cost of overnight accommodation for both outward and return trips, we worked out it would have been cheaper to fly at the time.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Yeah, my girlfriend got a flat just past the 80km tent. She'd made the mistake of strapping her pump to the bike rather than leaving it inside her camelbak and it was useless due to all the mud on it. She walked back to the tent and was told she only had 30 minutes to make it to Stromlo before they stopped letting people go up the hill, so she sat down and called it a day.
Yeah I was looking at ppl with their spare tubes taped under their seat and thinking - I hope you don't need to use that!

Also took my bike into our LBS for some love and they were happy I brought in my own brake pads for replacement - apparently even the supplier is out of stock! Wonder what caused a big spike in the number of brake pads needed... ;-)

Last edited:

72Fury

Likes Dirt
Also took my bike into our LBS for some love and they were happy I brought in my own brake pads for replacement - apparently even the supplier is out of stock! Wonder what caused a big spike in the number of brake pads needed... ;-)
I ran down to the LBS on Saturday afternoon to pick up some pads before they sold out. Glad I did.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yeah I was looking at ppl with their spare tubes taped under their seat and thinking - I hope you don't need to use that!

what brand?

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
That was the hardest physical challenge I've done. My first 100. I picked this as it only had the 1000m or so climbing over the distance, thank God or Allah or somebody for that. Climbing is not my forte, and showed as I walked quite a few of the hills when I kicked into survival mode after the Vineyard fuel stop.

All in all, I had a ball, 95k of bike killing, body torture for a 5k downhill run with steel brake pads. There was no traffic in front of me when I came through the Luge. Was a little disheartened when, I saw people heading home as I plodded the untimed road section. Tha fit fuckers.

Total ride time, 8.00.31. Stopped too long at the piss/t stops, cold on leaving, taking a while to warm the legs again (lesson learned). Somehow I overtook 180 odd riders on the untimed section. WTF?? am I Cadel's unknown brother?? I think shenanigans in the system there somewhere.....

Chain, cassette, jockey wheels, 2nd hotel night as I was too shagged to drive back to the rainy Central Coast. Luckily I can offset these costs with a VW transporter getting 8l/100k. And it doubles as a change room on mornings/evenings where you start and finish rides in the wet/dark/cold.

Rant end.

P.S. Hopefully the next ton will be a different sort of ride.
P.P.S Aurora Images have the pics sorted yet? I cant see/find them on their site????

Ok now the rant ends!

Last edited: