Chainsaw advice....

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Those all in one sharpeners will half your chain life.
Our department has binned them.
Anyone seen using one cops it
No argument there. I've realised this with the first chain. The local timber is hard on a chain but I wasn't helping with the new tool either. Having to sharpen so frequently I was being too aggressive with the file tool...and it was unnecessary. A much lighter touch and we are now okay. I still rate the tool because it was my technique that was at fault.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Well, I have gone against every thing I always say about petrol driven tools, as in buy quality.
I have a huge gum in the front and back if the house, the rear tree basically covers the whole back yard, limbs need to go.
I have purchased a giantz brand pole saw, I need the thing for the one lot if jobs in 1 day.
Around $140 for a 5 metre reach, what could possibly go wrong.
Yeah I know it's cheap rubbish but if it cuts 10 or 12 limbs I will be happy.
Please await review, it may be humorous. It should arrive on Friday so Monday is chop chop day.
Have you arrange a videographer for the day?

Huge gum tree + 5m pole saw? Hopefully there will be a long ladder or climbing involved to keep things interesting.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I would also like to add one other piece of chainsaw advice.

Look up. Look around. Look again. Always.

Two weeks ago, my new neighbour (a local born and bred lad that I didn't know) was clearing the area around his proposed house site with his wife and his two young kids. Whilst the details are not clear to me I was told that the tree he was working on caught up with one or more as it fell. A large branch broke off the falling tree and struck him down. He was killed instantly.

I heard his chainsaw going at the time. I also heard the ambulance. And at the time I thought little of either and certainly didn't connect the two. But it chills me now to think of it.

In the end, a chainsaw is a tool...and a dangerous one at that. But the important thing is that it is a tool that is used as part of a potentially dangerous activity in a potentially dangerous environment. So be aware of more than just the tool. Look up. Look around. Plan your moves. Understand what's possible. Protect yourself as much as possible. Don't die.

safreek

Have you arrange a videographer for the day?

Huge gum tree + 5m pole saw? Hopefully there will be a long ladder or climbing involved to keep things interesting.
There will be a ladder involved if the neighbor lends his to me, otherwise the kitchen table may be dragged out. Shall get some video in case things go wrong. We all need a laugh at times

safreek

I'm confident no branches will fall on you....they will jam the saw first, as they droop down while you cut from below.
Can't see that happening, plans are to do a shallow nick on the bottom and come in sideways, as stated, what can go wrong.
I know it's the incorrect way of delimbing but I am only going to take off about 6 or so foot off each limb, let the next person who buys or rents the place put up with the consequences

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
In case you havent used a pole saw previously , its very easy to drop limbs on your head so a helmet is good and it helps to stand in the ute but care with car windows .
Undercut the limbs a bit first , then cut the top side to stop saw jam and limbs hingeing all over the place.

safreek

In case you havent used a pole saw previously , its very easy to drop limbs on your head so a helmet is good and it helps to stand in the ute but care with car windows .
Undercut the limbs a bit first , then cut the top side to stop saw jam and limbs hingeing all over the place.
Yeah I have used pole saws before but not 5 metres long, well at least my new bike helmet will get some use, fear not, I'm a hard bastard. Many things in life have tried to kill me but gave failed. That damn reaper must be rubbing his bony hands with glee, the saw arrived today
PART_1559780064302.jpg

safreek

Well, surprise surprise, it's a piece of shit.
Loose, tight the fucken chain won't spin.
Now to look for a chain lock if any

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have no tolerance for Chinese toys masquerading as the real thing.
You probably could borrow or hire ? Dont bend the shaft though.
I borrow a Husky pole saw and its safe [ not the operator though ]and starts first time , has a clutch mechanism so if the chain jams it stops ie you get the thing up to speed, then cut.

moorey

call me Mia
Honestly wasn't expexting a real lot, I did expect it to work for half an hour or so, it was for a one off job.
Naomi bought an ozito mini chaino a couple of years ago. Really just for the stuff I leave behind. After a couple of hours, I pulled the starter for her when it wouldn’t fire, the starter and half the saw came off, all the wiring and plastics ripped off. Bunnings wouldn’t warranty it even. Pus.

safreek

I have no tolerance for Chinese toys masquerading as the real thing.
You probably could borrow or hire ? Dont bend the shaft though.
I borrow a Husky pole saw and its safe [ not the operator though ]and starts first time , has a clutch mechanism so if the chain jams it stops ie you get the thing up to speed, then cut.
I have to agree with you, should of hired one as it was just for a few limbs. Just the idea of having my own tool if needed again sucked me in

safreek

Naomi bought an ozito mini chaino a couple of years ago. Really just for the stuff I leave behind. After a couple of hours, I pulled the starter for her when it wouldn’t fire, the starter and half the saw came off, all the wiring and plastics ripped off. Bunnings wouldn’t warranty it even. Pus.
Yeah, I must say, lesson learned