Chinese Carbon 29er

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry steve24, but I'm still having trouble believing your build weight. My frame and fork combo, is over 1kg lighter than yours (frame 1231g/fork 570g) and yet your claiming a final weight nearly the same as mine!
Can you show us a pic of it on the scales? If your weight is right, man you need to share with all of us your build secrets:eek:range:
Sure Nath, i had to make a few spoke tension adjustments to front wheel anyway....

It was a bit windy outside when i weighed the other day so perhaps that made a difference??
I also just removed a tube from front (before weighing) and both wheels still need stans put in so looks like the final weight will be around 8.2 as c3024446 calculated.
I was not wanting to start a Chi weigh in match, just post up some pics and info on my build, hope you like it.....
I do enjoy a skinny build though so it just may slip under 7kg mark in a few weeks, will keep you posted....

DSCF0810.JPG

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Well done Steve. Getting your bike down to that weight was a good effort.

Hope it rides well and hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
How are guys finding the handling of these frames? The head tubes seem to run tall for the length - I'd be interested to hear any comparisons, although I can appreciate we don't all have the opportunity to ride dozens of different frames!

Smiker

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love it when i see bikes on a scale to prove all the naysayers wrong. Should be more of it, over on MTBR they are always bragging how little their bike weighs and not backing it up, and i'm sitting there scratching my head wondering why it is so light.

I must say, excel spreadsheets are fantastic to keep track of how much stuff weighs. Except when i put all my components for the China-9r build in the spreadsheet and found it was very close to 10kg without pedals (picked everything on function and price, not weight), and then i made it a game to get it under 10kg without pedals, then under 10kg with pedals (1x10 helped alot!), then with a Garmin on it (lighter cranks)....I'm going to stop now.

Disappointingly have ran out of stuff to buy for the 9r. Maybe I need a new road bike........

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

I'm considering getting a carbon frame as I have some connections in china

Just wondering would you go 26'r or 29'r the frame design of the 29'r looks so much better styled it's going to be used a commuter I know slightly overkill but curious to test these out as I have spare parts and just need a wheels and forks

Most parts are easy to come by for the frame

Like carbon bars seat post and headset

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ This is the 29er forum, so we have all gone 29ers. A 29er would be better for commuting if you put some big slicks on it.

If you want it to be a pure commuter, you should head to the road bike forums, and have a look at the Chinarello bikes.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys

I'm considering getting a carbon frame as I have some connections in china

Just wondering would you go 26'r or 29'r the frame design of the 29'r looks so much better styled it's going to be used a commuter I know slightly overkill but curious to test these out as I have spare parts and just need a wheels and forks

Most parts are easy to come by for the frame

Like carbon bars seat post and headset
For comuting you may find a 26 frame will work with 29er wheels if running slicks 28mm or less, not sure why you would buy a new carbon frame when you can get cheap used alloy, especially 26s....

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
Well the carbon frame I'm getting is costing me $300 delivered I've got access to the wholesalers

Probably look at the 26" frame as its easier to get parts I'll be using it for some xc also

Big JD

Wheel size expert
a lot of swinging your d*cks in the wind here

"mine is bigger than yours mate"

"no way pal, I have a spreadsheet that proves it - look I have enough graphed it"

"yeah but mine is smaller, thicker but lighter, so will go faster than yours"

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t think there was any of that going on at all. When you build a bike you can choose two from the “Strong, Cheap, Light” category. These bikes attempt to tick all three. If there is incorrect info floating around about the cost and weight, it ruins the idea of this thread as a helpful guide.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I don’t think there was any of that going on at all. When you build a bike you can choose two from the “Strong, Cheap, Light” category. These bikes attempt to tick all three. If there is incorrect info floating around about the cost and weight, it ruins the idea of this thread as a helpful guide.
it is not that serious mate - dont sweat it

as you all were..............................

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Ping pong is the new GOD

What was funny about that?? :D
dont you know that i am in search for my eternal flame/ youth / light of excitment / enlightenment and looking to sell everything with a 29er label and everything that is rigid and go 4- 6 inch trail monster with as many gears as will fit. Hell I would go BMX before SS and rigid............ oh wait ....................

I just did a google search to find a local club for my new passion......................... table tennis - seriously - it is a top sport, keeps you fit, cheap as chips, social, doesnt take up the whole day away from family, inside, and high skill level required. Ping Pong is the new black/29er/dropper post / 650b / it is what all the cool kids are doing these days - you'll see

you and your carbon / rigid / 29er / lightstiffstrongcheap / bikes are an insult to my new found freedom - I am finally at peace (with pong)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dont you know that i am in search for my eternal flame/ youth / light of excitment / enlightenment and looking to sell everything with a 29er label and everything that is rigid and go 4- 6 inch trail monster with as many gears as will fit. Hell I would go BMX before SS and rigid............ oh wait ....................

I just did a google search to find a local club for my new passion......................... table tennis - seriously - it is a top sport, keeps you fit, cheap as chips, social, doesnt take up the whole day away from family, inside, and high skill level required. Ping Pong is the new black/29er/dropper post / 650b / it is what all the cool kids are doing these days - you'll see

you and your carbon / rigid / 29er / lightstiffstrongcheap / bikes are an insult to my new found freedom - I am finally at peace (with pong)
Ping Pong.
This is code for something I am sure.