Chinese Carbon 29er

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So - to summarise this thread (which is becoming more ridiculous by the minute), whats being said is that...
1/. Quality cant be assured, some examples of bad finish and QC have been experienced however
2/. Warranty doesnt matter
3/. Overall failure rate 'may not' be any different to a big name brand
4/. Big name brands would fight in court if you tried to prove frame failure resulted in injury.
5/. Personal liability (me badly building wheels) is the same as something being built and sold as 'fit for purpose'.
6/. If a pimply kid bled my brakes and did it wrong, I would have no come-back to said pimply kid.

Seriously, you want one of these frames, just go an f#cking buy one. Then show us how it goes.

It would seem that any of the normal criteria of bike buying (see above list) go out of the window.It also seems that any disagreement or negative advice or feedback will be met with intransigence. If they're that good - go get one.

Having worked with a very famous bike brand, that gets their carbon frames made in China, I know exactly how the factories work. I also know the truth behind the BS that says "brand X is made in the same factory as brand Y, so they are the same other than paint". Its nonsense. Manufacturers buy 'time' in factories. at the switch-over between brands, tools change, moulds change, tolerances change, even the labour force changes. It is exactly the same lighting, electricity, and even building address. The product is different.
I baked a cake last night, so did my missus. In the same kitchen, with the same ingredients. Mine was shit.
I didnt die at 40kph saving a cuppla hundred bucks though.
What kind of cake? :D

Win

Likes Dirt
I'm not going to buy a un-branded, un-warrantied carbon frame but i do also have a memory, it was only 12months ago when that S-Works broke in two in Alice

Just sayin'

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
I can't help thinking about your missus though, just how well does she bake?
Haha!
She bakes / cooks better than she rides (she wont mind me saying that!) and she rides pretty good.

If you ever see her at a race, ask her about her homemade pesto recipe (legendary around these parts!).

....completely off topic now.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
Ibis bikes are made in China.....

however, a mate bough a no brand Chinese carbon harftail a few months back, spent the next few months sourcing parts on-line. finally built it up full XT with Tora forks just over 2 weeks ago

went out for a ride with me, it lasted 1 hour before the chainstays snapped in half

the previous hour consisted of a tarmac start, fire road, one xc downhill which he walked down, one singletrack climb then more fire road, a bit more tarmac, a xc descent then a climb, which is where it broke

in my opinion, had it been riden 'properly' it would have lasted about 10 minutes

Ivan

Eats Squid
Ibis bikes are made in China.....

however, a mate bough a no brand Chinese carbon harftail a few months back, spent the next few months sourcing parts on-line. finally built it up full XT with Tora forks just over 2 weeks ago

went out for a ride with me, it lasted 1 hour before the chainstays snapped in half

the previous hour consisted of a tarmac start, fire road, one xc downhill which he walked down, one singletrack climb then more fire road, a bit more tarmac, a xc descent then a climb, which is where it broke

in my opinion, had it been riden 'properly' it would have lasted about 10 minutes
Which frame was it? Just so I know to avoid those ones...

matt36415

Likes Dirt
Most of this thread is hersay crap!

I have a 'cheap chinese' (calling them that immediately tells me most people are going to think they are junk) 26inch hard tail. It built up perfectly, weighed less than my previous easton aluminium framed bike and it felt nice to ride. I weigh over 100kg so it has had a hard life so far. It was also bigger than any frame or whole bike I could get here (22 inch). I have raced it in many 6 / 8 hour races and I used it for most of my prep for last years 24 hour world champs. I did some of that race on it too and although I am not the best rider, it handled pork barrel well.

It looks suspiciously similar to a Merida. It is exactly what was shown on the ebay listing, I have nothing but praise for it although when I first got it I was nervous about the chance of cracking... but many hours and crashes later it has some scratches on the clear coat and pine sap stuck to it but that is all.

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
I have a 'cheap chinese' (calling them that immediately tells me most people are going to think they are junk) 26inch hard tail. It built up perfectly, weighed less than my previous easton aluminium framed bike and it felt nice to ride. I weigh over 100kg so it has had a hard life so far. It was also bigger than any frame or whole bike I could get here (22 inch). I have raced it in many 6 / 8 hour races and I used it for most of my prep for last years 24 hour world champs. I did some of that race on it too and although I am not the best rider, it handled pork barrel well.

It looks suspiciously similar to a Merida. It is exactly what was shown on the ebay listing, I have nothing but praise for it although when I first got it I was nervous about the chance of cracking... but many hours and crashes later it has some scratches on the clear coat and pine sap stuck to it but that is all.
Which one did you get mate?

matt36415

Likes Dirt
Part 2

So, having had a good experience, I bought a 29er frame the same way (have to keep up with my single speed lynskey mate).

It has the same weave as my older '26er' but this one has no disc brake mounts, internal cable routing and a head tube for a tapered steerer fork. It also built up easily, no wonky bits as some previous posts have referred to (as seen by a friend of their cats mothers last owners hairdresser).

It is new but I rode it today for the first time. Amazingly for a 'cheap chinese' frame it did not snap and kill me in a slow and horrible death. Again, I was a bit nervous about it but it was really nice. I have not ridden a 29er before so everything was different and I had to stop to adjust things as I felt what was not quit in the right position... but I have to do that on the first few rides on any new bike.

Like the last chinese frame I bought, it is exactly what the listing advertised, if anything I think the listing undersold this one. It has the advertised geometry, it weighs what the listing said it would and it is big enough - unlike anything I could get here.

The seller answered the few questions I had before buying and he ended up giving me 3 spare deralier hangers free as I was concerned that if I needed one it would be hard to get later - if you buy one I would recommend buying a couple of spares with the frame, they were under $5 each to buy.

I paid $US 590 shipped with spare hangers and headset. Bought a 120mm Reba Ti from Jenson USA and got a pair of Stans wheels there too. All the other bits came from my '26er'.

This has been my experience with 2 unbranded chinese frames. I would hesitate to buy a dual suspension frame - not because of the chinese part but because I don't know how to work out all the rear shock stuff but my HT frames have been / are great

matt36415

Likes Dirt
Opinion

While buying here gets warranty there is not really any other reason I can see to buy carbon frames through a shop here unless you like supporting the shop or you need them to put it together - they come out of the same factories.

I really dislike the brand name 'aura', ie the brand name makes it better. Almost all carbon stuff is made in china - these frames are most likley from a factory that made some for a brand name company to sell and then they made some more to sell at a higher price than they got for the 5000 produced for some big name company.

Things made in Japan used to be 'cheap junk' but not now, chinese manufacturing is good enough for virtually all of the branded frames to be made there, most clothes, most of everything really - so other than they are sold for less money I see no reason why these frames should be considered inferior. No one who has made negative comments on this thread has actually owned one. But all the people who have had one seem to make positive comments... I wonder what that means.....

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
r - they come out of the same factories.

I hardly think so, trek oclv carbon frames are made in the usa, trek tct carbon frames are made in the trek factory in taiwan. Reputable carbon factories would hardly make extra copies of frames from big name companies then sell them cheaper, thereby ensuring they get repeat business.

I really dislike the brand name 'aura', ie the brand name makes it better. Almost all carbon stuff is made in china - these frames are most likley from a factory that made some for a brand name company to sell and then they made some more to sell at a higher price than they got for the 5000 produced for some big name company.

Like all consumer goods, there are good quality goods and there are cheap copies, often coming out of the same country. You take your chances.

charltons

Likes Bikes
Chinese is faster!

I hardly think so, trek oclv carbon frames are made in the usa, trek tct carbon frames are made in the trek factory in taiwan. Reputable carbon factories would hardly make extra copies of frames from big name companies then sell them cheaper, thereby ensuring they get repeat business.

Like all consumer goods, there are good quality goods and there are cheap copies, often coming out of the same country. You take your chances.

I can verify that I witnessed Matt go 94.2% faster on the Chinese frame!... and it didn't implode or turn into an egg! Conclusive proof really.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Thanks for sharing everyone. Look, I'm not trying to stir the pot or offend anyone who thinks these frames are junk. I'm just curious to see one in person and hear from others who might have taken the plunge. I won't pull the trigger on a frame until I figure out the correct fork requirements and what not, I don't want to spend more money in other parts, I want to be able to swap over the 100mm 29er fork or 80mm 26er fork I already have a spare of. I will say it's been an interesting exercise researching these frames, I've really only scratched the surface so far, but I think I'm getting closer. I'll post an update once I submit the order, and please keep the comments coming. I think we've gotten over the hump of warranty and quality, so now let's focus on the actual frames and build info.

matt36415

Likes Dirt
r - they come out of the same factories.

Have you actually seen any of the frames you speak about with such authority?

Chinese companies do not have the same ideas about copyright as the rest of the world, endless academic texts are reprinted there without any permission or royalties

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
As someone who doesn't have a large stock of available parts to work from then these cheap Chinese frames don't strike me as being especially cheap....even at $500 to $600.

Throw in a decent fork, groupset, wheels and contact points and you are looking at a three grand bike even before you put the sucker together.....

Three grand buys you an awful lot of brand name & warrantied carbon goodness at your local bike shoppe.

Just not much as yet in terms of a 29er.......yet.

Of course you could just stump for an RST shock, an Acera groupset, Star wheels and no name contacts.....but on a carbon frame?!

scblack

Leucocholic
As someone who doesn't have a large stock of available parts to work from then these cheap Chinese frames don't strike me as being especially cheap....even at $500 to $600.

Throw in a decent fork, groupset, wheels and contact points and you are looking at a three grand bike even before you put the sucker together.....

Three grand buys you an awful lot of brand name & warrantied carbon goodness at your local bike shoppe.

Just not much as yet in terms of a 29er.......yet.

Of course you could just stump for an RST shock, an Acera groupset, Star wheels and no name contacts.....but on a carbon frame?!
I am in the last stages of building up a Chinarello road bike. It does not cost $3,000 to build one of these frames up. It is roadie stuff, but costs are not that different.

My build is this:
  • Chinarello frame, fork, headset all carbon(China) $600
  • Campagnolo Centaur carbon groupset (Ribble) $750
  • Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheels (Ribble) $850
  • Seat & Most seatpost all carbon (Ebay) $120
  • Bars, stem, tape, spacers all carbon (Ebay) $180
  • Tyres (ProBikeKit) $70
Thats $2,570 with not one item thats cheap and cheerful. Only item not bought was pedals which I had already. And I know of another thread for similar build on Rotorburn that cost within $100 of the same.

The only item that is different for costs is the fork probably.