Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

safreek

I can see PoolNoodle flying home via Lismore for a one on one barista course..
when I used to repair commercial catering equipment, Rancilo were the workhorse of the small takeaway/corner store.
when you repair sunbeam machine , you do by removing all the stainless screws and placing them in a small container for later use and placing the rest of the machine in the bin!
Yeah, I get about a year or year and a half out of a sunbeam or Breville, then they start to shut themselves. 10+ brews a day is pretty good value for a 300ish machine.
Ok, ol pool doodle is welcome to have a crack at a brew. Nothing better than a good coffee and a spliff at sunset

Last edited:

safreek

@safreek are you doing a purge before brewing? Have been reading up on machines lately and need to do some temp surfing with the Rancillio. A purge of hot water through the group head for about 10 seconds before brewing seems to be recommended.
Yeah man, I usually whack a decent run through it to warm the whole setup.
If the supplier can't sort it one of the cafe operators says he will have a crack at it.
If he fails then I will know it's rooted. He makes the best coffee in lismore

Hools

Likes Dirt
@safreek I’ve had a Silvia for about ten years, they’re notorious for being difficult to get a consistent shot from. They don’t regulate temperature very well which is why people “temperature surf” which is another way of saying “guess when the temperature is right to pull a shot”.

I had a lot of difficulty until I installed a PID which is a digital temperature controller. You can actually buy a Silvia with these installed these days although they’re not too difficult to install yourself.

On the plus side the Silvia will last you much longer than a sunbeam if you maintain it regularly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Years ago I had a cheap sunbeam. It had achieved a lot of recognition from choice magazine and a friend was the appliance manager in a David Jones who backed up the praise. I took it back after a few weeks with what turned out to be a common fault. The machine would warm up and form a big bubble of steam between the water and the head so that every time I went to pour a shot I would either flush out a lot of steam or pour said steam through my coffee and fuck it up.

It could be your machine has a similar issue with steam/heat building up somewhere.

Surfing the temperature sounds like something that has come about from holding knobs too tight. There is ideal temperatures for extraction and some beans/roasts/blends perform better h see different settings (some high end commercial machines allow for individual temp settings for each head). Rancilio make a lot of great commercial machines so it is hard to fathom how such a popular and long running domestic machine could carry such a problem for so long. Wouldn't you just fix it from the factory like so many of their competitors have? It's not like they are a small company.

Spliff + coffee is also good at sunrise, acrually pretty much any time of the day.

safreek

@safreek I’ve had a Silvia for about ten years, they’re notorious for being difficult to get a consistent shot from. They don’t regulate temperature very well which is why people “temperature surf” which is another way of saying “guess when the temperature is right to pull a shot”.

I had a lot of difficulty until I installed a PID which is a digital temperature controller. You can actually buy a Silvia with these installed these days although they’re not too difficult to install yourself.

On the plus side the Silvia will last you much longer than a sunbeam if you maintain it regularly.
Yeah, seems like a real low grade machine, except the cheapies can even regulate temp.
The PID seems like a cool idea if I can't get satisfaction from the seller. Pretty disappointed for a grand though

safreek

Years ago I had a cheap sunbeam. It had achieved a lot of recognition from choice magazine and a friend was the appliance manager in a David Jones who backed up the praise. I took it back after a few weeks with what turned out to be a common fault. The machine would warm up and form a big bubble of steam between the water and the head so that every time I went to pour a shot I would either flush out a lot of steam or pour said steam through my coffee and fuck it up.

It could be your machine has a similar issue with steam/heat building up somewhere.

Surfing the temperature sounds like something that has come about from holding knobs too tight. There is ideal temperatures for extraction and some beans/roasts/blends perform better h see different settings (some high end commercial machines allow for i

Spliff + coffee is also good at sunrise, acrually pretty much any time of the day.
What you describe is pretty similar to what is happening. I have bled the air out of it as a few sites have suggested.
Have also read reviews that mention overheating, pretty shit whack .
Seems to be many YouTube videos about lowering pressure. Obviously must be a problem.
I guess most people are embarrassed about getting ripped off and keep reviewing them as good. Bit like bike parts really, a way to justify a bad product

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It might be you have received a machine with a specific problem. Hit the trailer up for a replacement and of the problem persists...refund time. In that price bracket you'll find something you like.

safreek

It might be you have received a machine with a specific problem. Hit the trailer up for a replacement and of the problem persists...refund time. In that price bracket you'll find something you like.
That's what I believe, cafe owners I know all seem to think the rancid machind are fine. Then again they find it hard to believe that someone who has been making coffee for so long wouldn't be able to make a good brew from it if it's working properly

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having bagged Italian's there are almost countless e61 machines, mostly Italian pumping out great coffee all over the world every day!