Confessions from the fuckwits

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Not sure if I’m the fuckwit or the LBS is (again).

Last night did a quick loop around some single track near home (Fadden Pines and the Monash wasteland for those playing in Canberra) and as I was shifting the front derailleur snagged up and bent itself out of whack again.

First time the LBS fixed it. Basically that barely lasted a 10km ride then I fixed it which has been good for about 400km. I guess a compromised range of adjustment and fit is to be expected when the main pivot pin is bent.

This time I’ve beaten it roughly back into submission and ordered a suitable replacement like the LBS should have at fail 1. Just can’t be bothered fighting it again.

Next bike is going to be 1x

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Last night did a quick loop around some single track near home (Fadden Pines and the Monash wasteland for those playing in Canberra) and as I was shifting the front derailleur snagged up and bent itself out of whack again.

First time the LBS fixed it. Basically that barely lasted a 10km ride then I fixed it which has been good for about 400km. I guess a compromised range of adjustment and fit is to be expected when the main pivot pin is bent.

This time I’ve beaten it roughly back into submission and ordered a suitable replacement like the LBS should have at fail 1. Just can’t be bothered fighting it again.

And probably built from a frame up by yourself! It's crap when the LBS is a dud, but at least bikes are relatively easy to work on and you'll get some satisfaction knowing you've sorted it properly yourself.

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Hey! I live in that wasteland

AaronM

Likes Dirt
15km later it ate the derailleur again. Some fuckwit had backed off the upper limit setting while sorting it, then double thumbed the shifter during a ride.

Fuckwit...

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Fitted a 9 speed shifter and derailleur to a bike with an 8 speed cassette.

One of the shitters I bought, had an 8 speed rear, so I ass-u-me-d. Thought it was strange that a bike with LX group (Specialized Rockhopper) would be 3 x 8, and not 3 x 9 ..... even noticed the different hubs ..... never checked my shit though ....... I worked it out when I tried to tune the mech. The very last thing on the build. Riding was much more important at that point. She goes good in 6 gears .....

FigBo0T

8sp-11sp is same freehub.
You want I send you a 9sp cassette?
Cheers mate. I do have one, on another wheelset, but it's worn and 15 years old. Thought I had another, but it's 8 too. I'm sure what you have would be better than what I do. I'll PM you.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While patting myself on the back for being able to replace several imminent broken spokes in my rear wheel with minimal true-ing, I fitted the tyre wrong way round :rolleyes: just noticed while loading the bike in the car this morning to go for a ride, CBF doing anything about though. Stopped for a breather just now as I’m farked after a coupla months with minimal riding, DHR on backwards doesn’t seem to be a problem for today’s ride.

FigBo0T

I bought (paid money for) a road bike
I am planning to work on a road bike
It has a 3 speed hub

Didn't realize there was a template for WTB.
Asked for road bike bits on a MTB forum

FigBo0T

I feel like we're missing a few chapters in this particular novel, FigBo0T.
Sorry mate, I missed this post until now. The crank arm and chainrings exploded (came off the bike) at speed. A couple of retaining bolts could have prevented this.

T-Rex

Template denier
Same rules for everyone. Use the template. No problem chasing road bike parts.
I committed the same fuckwittery as @FigBo0T with a WTB ad a couple of weeks ago, not using this alleged template. Is it not obvious where to find it, or are we both confirmed fuckwits suffering male blindness?