COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

nathanm

Eats Squid
I like how all you Mainlanders have completely forgotten Tasmania. We are essentially virus free and have been for a couple of months, thanks to a lockdown policy. Our premier, aided by geography, has done an excellent job at elimination and took swift and decisive action when it was needed and continues to take a safe approach.

It is only time though until it reappears as due to our reliance on vehicle driven freight, some victorian/nsw truck driver will bring it across on the Spirit, spread it to the everyone on the boat then the local truck stop/cafe/pub and Tassie will kick off just like the other states.

I'm just hoping we stay Covid free for long enough so I can get a Derby and St Helens trip or two in. Or by some miracle we may actually never see it gain a foothold in the state again but that would require ongoing restrictions every time there is a flare up. Tasmania's would be more inclined to support that given how quickly we stamped it out, allowing us to regain pretty much near total freedom again.

Early on experts warned that the initial restrictions had to get it right as if it failed, attempting a second lock down would be almost impossible. Of course governments didnt listen and its incredibly disturbing reading that Gladys is entertaining the thought of going full US and not bothering to even attempt restrictions a second time around, despite the fact NSW is really only 10-14 days away from seeing hundreds of cases per day just like Victoria

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although the reporting is mostly what They want us to think, the trend seems to be that false positives (which most of Them won't admit are A Thing) outnumber the false negatives by a fair margin.
I know of a few postive cases now. If the first result comes back positif they re-run the test to confirm it. The longer the test results take generally = a postive result.
Not saying there ain’t false results either way but they do take extra care if a positive is found..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Its not anything to you anymore you filthy Mexican, you and your kind are no longer welcome in our state.
Fixed.

Its not like the Mexicans are going to have any money left anyway after they screwed the sick person.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Its not anything to you anymore you filthy mainlander, you and your kind are no longer welcome in our state.

Finally tasmanian trails have been returned to their rightful owners, Tasmanians.

and hopefully this all blows over really quickly as we need all your tourism dollars asap.
Harsh, but fair.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
and hopefully this all blows over really quickly as we need all your tourism dollars asap.
The Cubans really do need the mainland ca$h.

"We've been coming here for 20yrs before you MTBers showed up"....They camp for free, wash in the river, drink from the river, eat what they brung and take up enough room for 4 mainlanders ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If was ok for Tasmania to shut down, their economy was fucked before covid.

I'm glad the take it easy approach has been taken. Wed hate to follow the same mistakes we made at the beginning of covid when the state governments had to come to our rescue after week of the federal government tying to do nothing

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
428 new cases today in vic....this things getting away from us. shit...
As @beeb says, that will be lag in the test results. The effectiveness of the new restrictions isn't likely to be apparent just yet.

Sadly 428 cases also means around 4 more deaths, statistically speaking.

nathanm

Eats Squid
If was ok for Tasmania to shut down, their economy was fucked before covid.
Actually no. We've had a massive turnaround in the last decade due to foreign investment in everything from business to housing and education. Our rental prices had become the second highest in the country pre-covid and has thankfully now tanked big time. Real Estate prices are still climbing at around 10% pa and you cannot get a place in the University of Tas unless your a foreign student and are renting their overpriced accomodation.
Tourism is as usual one of our biggest economic contributors but we're also exporting a ton of stuff.

That's all been turned on its head with the Coronavirus as all these things we've relied upon to make us wealthy have been removed and rentals have plummeted, tourism is non-existant and the Uni will probably go bankrupt.

It's been encouraging to see our premier continue with strict restrictions despite the short term economic damage but will be very interesting to see how we come out the other side in a year or two.