COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Had my first experience of the loo paper morons today.
Went to the local shopping centre and the Coles has a 1 pack limit on toilet paper.
Firstly kudos to them. Secondly the amount of people walking out holding just loo paper was exceeded by the absolute fucktards with trolleys full of bottled water and tissue boxes.
Do they honestly think this is the end of days? They're not going to cut the water off. You've got more chasing of getting the virus from being in a crowded place and touching infected stuff in shopping centres

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Constantly on the news - I can see how the masses are scared, especially the not-so-clever ones.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Half the toilet paper thing isn't about the virus, it's about idiots buying up toilet paper so you gotta get in and grab some before it all goes. And the spiral accentuates. There's whole game theories about this kind of thing.

I've probably said it already but I started this thread a few days after I saw the first tabloidesque news article of an elderly couple standing out the front of a Coles with two loaded up trollies with the quotes "We're not panicking, we just don't want to get caught out".

It was then that I knew what was coming. I'd already bought med kit stuff, sanitizer, masks, shelf stable food etc., in case we all get told to stay home. But when I saw that shit I knew that it was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened. So I got ahead of the curve and did a double week's shop and picked up some of the longer term stuff like washing detergent, etc. and yes, I bought some poo tix. One pack because we were almost out and one pack to get us through in case we were shut in for a few weeks. None of this trollies full silliness.

This gets back to the whole game theory thing. You can see a panic spree coming. You don't want to be part of it because you know it's not required. But you have to get ahead of the curve to beat the panic buying - the outbreak is actually irrelevant to the equation in the end.

As I mentioned in my first post, it's not the virus that concerns me, it's the public response.

Still a lot of clear eyed analysis that the mortality rate will be around 1%, give or take. That's not a small amount and we all have parents and friends with ailments (for those with young kids, we know that the youngens are likely safer but would you be happy to test the theory on your own babies?).

That kind of mortality rate is more than enough to shut economies down and reshape the global system.

I for one prefer a walking dead type future more than an Escape from New York or Mad Max type gig.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Constantly on the news - I can see how the masses are scared, especially the not-so-clever ones.
Agreed.

When any lead news story is about the Corona virus and big virus graphics with infection numbers are splashed over the screen then I can understand why Arabic ladies are Revesby get the urge to hoard toilet paper and are willing to get into punch ups about it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If we had a responsible media, they would open each broadcast with prevention methods as well as where and what the latest travel advisory, health advisory and containment procedures are...but instead we get a kill count and why you're fucked and the different ways people are spazzing out over something they themselves have wound everyone up over.
This is an excellent point.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If we had a responsible media, they would open each broadcast with prevention methods as well as where and what the latest travel advisory, health advisory and containment procedures are...but instead we get a kill count and why you're fucked and the different ways people are spazzing out over something they themselves have wound everyone up over.

Good reading here on the history of media regulation and ownership in Australia. Also gives a clear understanding of how we ended up with such a shit fuckery of a media that is owned by billionaires to ensure the rules end up in their favour.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
This is an excellent point.
If you're looking for non sensationalistic media coverage the ABC is the only one I have found. As always just middle of the road plane Jane coverage by a group of professionals who are legislated to provide the news in a fair and truthful way.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you're looking for non sensationalistic media coverage the ABC is the only one I have found. As always just middle of the road plane Jane coverage by a group of professionals who are legislated to provide the news in a fair and truthful way.
But even there, the articles they present online fuel the panic through their content. While they are not overtly saying the shit has hot the fan and it is time to stock up and hunker down, they do present the shit! We are out of toilet paper and other essentials...which fuels the fear.

When the antivaxer panic merchant online experts (like Karen) and chiropractors start getting news time with their cures you know we are truely fucked

Litenbror

Eats Squid
But even there, the articles they present online fuel the panic through their content. While they are not overtly saying the shit has hot the fan and it is time to stock up and hunker down, they do present the shit! We are out of toilet paper and other essentials...which fuels the fear.

When the antivaxer panic merchant online experts (like Karen) and chiropractors start getting news time with their cures you know we are truely fucked
Agreed by this stage any coverage just fans the flames. I'm just pointing out that not all media organisations came to the party with a Molotov cocktail.