COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Our economic vulnerability seems highly related to our inflated property prices. In a country like Australia, land should be dirt cheap and the government should actively support that. If that were the case, rent would also be cheap, people wouldn't be over-geared to buggery and a few months worth of shutdown wouldn't have a lasting effect.

I would far prefer a situation where my house was worth 1/10th of what it currently is and no one had to borrow money for property. Of course, its all far too late for that...

safreek

The tech guys from the entertainment industry are all hurting now. most of the work is casual and show to show and now most venues in Melbourne have gone dark. They aren't panic buying toilet paper as many live week to week.

The owner of the child care where our daughter attends has said that an outbreak at the centre would close the business. :(
Have to say, I have been self isolating, not through choice but because a lot of my clients have become tardy with their payments. Down many hundreds.
Wonder if this will become common place as the epidemic gets worse.
No dole, no pay, never thought I would be on rations, seriously.
Fuck I hope they let us crack into the super pretty soon, times are hard

safreek

Our economic vulnerability seems highly related to our inflated property prices. In a country like Australia, land should be dirt cheap and the government should actively support that. If that were the case, rent would also be cheap, people wouldn't be over-geared to buggery and a few months worth of shutdown wouldn't have a lasting effect.

I would far prefer a situation where my house was worth 1/10th of what it currently is and no one had to borrow money for property. Of course, its all far too late for that...
Here here. Too true

Flow-Rider

Burner

It's probably something you don't want to see happen as it will destroy Australia financially, don't forget this dumb fuck government made seniors reverse mortgage their home so not to pay the pension to them and also made a lot of household debt go up.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It's probably something you don't want to see happen as it will destroy Australia financially, don't forget this dumb fuck government made seniors reverse mortgage their home so not to pay the pension to them and also made a lot of household debt go up.
It's taken almost 20 years to see the outcome of policy choices made in the early 2000s but the warning signs have been here for a long time. We needed to make hard choices 10 years ago but we are not really very good at critical thinking as a nation.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I certainly don't want to see it happen now, but it would have been great if we'd kept prices low from the get go.
Yeah, very overpriced in capital cities. The growth isn't as it once was and I wondered how everything would go after the interest rate drops but people seem to put themselves in further unnecessary debt.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's taken almost 20 years to see the outcome of policy choices made in the early 2000s but the warning signs have been here for a long time. We needed to make hard choices 10 years ago but we are not really very good at critical thinking as a nation.
Interesting times ahead with the virus putting a spanner in the works, somethings are unforeseen. My saying is "debt can't support debt" at some point it all has to fall down, it's like pyramid selling at some stage when it catches up.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Interesting times ahead with the virus putting a spanner in the works, somethings are unforeseen. My saying is "debt can't support debt" at some point it all has to fall down, it's like pyramid selling at some stage when it catches up.
Absolutely we have been paying one credit card with another credit card for a long time now. For some reason economists/governments don't believe the debt will have to be paid, one way or another.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Saw quite a few utes at my local this morning loaded up with jerry cans in the boot, so fuel is probably the next thing people will make a run on.

They need to think through their zombie apocalypse planning a little better though. Going into a shopping centre with your ute tray loaded with the fuel probably isn't the smartest move.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I think it was the Romans that scaled up the concept of lending, and debt to leverage the economy. That worked wonders to build a thriving economy.

The glaring difference between then and now, is that they used it as a means to an end. The Emperor would periodically wipe all debts, and everyone would start with a clean slate, encouraged to go out and borrow again, to expand their thriving industries.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

nathanm

Eats Squid
At least the zombie apocalypse might have a positive effect on rental properties.

In Tassie at least AirBnb, Stayz etc has contributed to a massive shortage in rental accommodation. With no-one travelling and loss of income etc, these short term property providers will now need to find long term income, returning these properties into the rental market at quite possibly an average price?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

no one is going to restaurants so pork price crashes yet shelves are bare. supply, or rather logistics, will shuffle about and we'll get past the shortages, so long as you have a job or savings. just have to keep myself from checking super balances.
Would be wondering what our lucrative pork (and other meat) export markets are looking like before I swallowed all of that...

But there's profit to be made!!!

The stain of the Howard years lingers.

righto haakon
Come on! 10 30 in the morning is pretty darn early to be using a power tool! Can't the pussies use a hand saw like the old days?

Old guy across the lane loves his bloody leaf blower too. Uses it so much I often wonder if he is blasting his junk with it

At least the zombie apocalypse might have a positive effect on rental properties.

In Tassie at least AirBnb, Stayz etc has contributed to a massive shortage in rental accommodation. With no-one travelling and loss of income etc, these short term property providers will now need to find long term income, returning these properties into the rental market at quite possibly an average price?

I'm with you on that. Fuck those air bnb arseholes right on their arses.

stirk

Burner
@Flow-Rider my local Coles will look like that in an hour. I was just there to grab a few items and was quite shocked by a few items being snapped up. Cheese, the cheap already shredded stuff all gone, vinegar gone, oil very low numbers, washing powder, garbage bags too!! And dog kibble, even the dogs are prepping :)

I popped into my butcher who said he's selling a week's worth of mince in a day and his supplier can't get any more beef to him right now. He says lots of livers and kidneys available!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Vinegar - either pickling or cleaning, it's good for both. Knowing Australians it's probably being used for drinking though.

Shredded cheese - freezes much better than blocks of cheese.

No idea about the rest. People are going crazy! I still haven't seen anyone angry...I'd love to see some push + shove in the flesh, get a feel for what kind of stupid that is so scared