cyclocross

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
. I am assuming that Cross bikes typically run with road cranks rather than MTBs? Anyone got some opinions. Need to do it soon so I dont miss out on the Dirty Deeds prologue.
Cross cranks are normally the same pcd as compact road, but with smaller rings (48/36 or 46/34 would be fairly typical). I'm running XX cranks on mine, since most of the riding I end up doing is mtb style and I like the lower gearing for long climbs.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
the XT touring cranksets run a bizarre chainline - very wide. Recommend road double - non-series shimano road double cranksets available cheap, change chainrings to FSA 34/46, done.

- Joel

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
Sorry I thought I had replied. I threaded the pedal in the backside to try and get the right thread pattern to work and lucky for me it has. So no need to upgrade at the moment. I dont think that XX cranks were ever going to happen. I would need to upgrade the rest of the bike around the cranks then!

nikcee

Squid
I finally got organised and created a thread for this year's DirtyDeeds series!

There was a lot of Cx bikes at the Dirty Gran Fondo and I've seen more CX bikes on the yarra trails in the past few weeks than I'd previously see for months.

There's talk of a lot of MTB and road 'big hitters' coming out this year, so even if you are sure you won't keep up it'll be worth showing up to watch the racing, and why not race and get a little muddy at the same time?

akashra

Eats Squid
58 riders registered for the National series so far - 9 of those are women. Entries close midday today before round-by-round entries open. That's a pretty good start to the first ever National series - and just remember, that doesn't count on the day entries, of which there will be loads.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
DDCX2013 is go!
From what I understand National Series Dates aren't too far away...
National Series kicking off this weekend. Some up-and-comer called Robbie McEwan is racing.

# 1
Saturday 8/6

Park 17 (Tuttangga) Adelaide Park Lands, Adelaide SA

# 2
Sunday 9/6

Park 23 (Wirranendi) Adelaide Park Lands, Adelaide SA

# 3
Saturday 13/7

JJ Melbourne Hills Memorial Res, Terrey Hills NSW

# 4
Sunday 14/7

JJ Melbourne Hills Memorial Res, Terrey Hills NSW

Race 3/4: Manly Warringah CC
# 5
Sunday 11/8

Darebin Parklands, Melbourne VIC

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
That list is for all the series so far, so a few for Melbourne or Sydney only. 65 blokes lined up for rAdelaide & 24 Women (Super classy field)

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
That is a very impressive field. Cyclocross is on the UP. Maybe I need to get my cowbell(and arse) to Adelaide for it.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
The weekend had everything, dominating rides, sprint finishes, a World Champ and last years CX champ as podium girls, more Australian Champions than you've ever seen in one race, a punch up on the finish line, spectacular crashes, a bit of mud and a jumping castle.

A bit more later but you'll find links to results, pics, videos and interviews searching twitter with #ncxs.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The weekend had everything, dominating rides, sprint finishes, a World Champ and last years CX champ as podium girls, more Australian Champions than you've ever seen in one race, a punch up on the finish line, spectacular crashes, a bit of mud and a jumping castle.

A bit more later but you'll find links to results, pics, videos and interviews searching twitter with #ncxs.
Agreed - fantastic weekend in Adelaide. Both courses were tough work! Nothing like maxxing out your Heart Rate from start to finish!

Amazing depth in both elite races. The first lap of the men's race on both days was insane. Watching Sid bunny hop the barrier before the climb was amazing. I assisted one of the elite men with a bike change - it was a blink and you'll miss incident - he grabbed the new bike at full speed without losing a place. Bloody awesome to witness first hand.

A year ago I hadn't even thought about CX - am glad I opened my eyes and gave it a crack - CX is exciting to both race and watch!

Won't be about for the Sydney round but looking forward to Melbourne!

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Change of date

'Training' race in Canberra July 7th meet 9:30 race @ 10:00, details to follow.
In consultation with Dylan Cooper it was decided to change the date to 20th July so as not to clash with other races. Dylan, Aaron Bashford and the boys will all be there format 40 minutes plus one lap, more getting on board. More details later.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be at the Sydney round! Haven't done any racing on any bike for over a year, should be good to get back into it.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Canberra 20th July Oakey Hill Lyons. Park behind power grid on Devenport and Derwent Streets. Meet 9:30 race 10:00 simple set up, 40 minutes plus one lap, rain forecast for that week, should be fun.