Derby in Tassi

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yes, I would say prob the best time of year to go (locals will confirm), but there is still no guarantee that blue Tier will be open. We were there December last year and Blue Tier was closed due to a 2 day deluge of rain.

Weather wise, the whole month of December didn't get above 24°C and it was beautiful riding weather, hanging around 21°C on an average day.
I think that Feb, March is the best weather but January should be fine. You should be unlucky for any trails to be closed. Last December Blue Tier had only just been opened and really needed a full season to settle in. It does have different soil to the Derby trails in places so is more affected by wet weather.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Last December Blue Tier had only just been opened and really needed a full season to settle in.
Ahh, didn't know that.

We arrived in Branxholm and were time poor. The Missus shuttled me straight to the top of Blue Tier, up Mount Paris Dam Rd then met me in Weldborough for lunch and then shuttled me and the Kids to the top of Atlas.

It was only when we got to Derby in the afternoon I found out it was actually closed. Closed seemed to mean there was no official shuttling up there.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You mustn't have been here around christmas, was a bit hot then.
We were in Devonport over x-mas, chrissy day was great, but only around 24°C (on the coast)... its a strange sun over there, 24 burns the crap out of you, but still cool in the shade. Reckon the ozone layer over Tassie is non existent.

On the 18th of December, we left Hobart for Cradle Mountain, the central highlands had snow the day before ! When we went though there was still a good bit about, my boys smashed each other with snow balls for 20mins until they were frozen solid.

The only rain of the whole month was the first 2 days in Launceston, which Derby was the next destination.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I grew up in Devonport/Wynyard, where a hot summers day is liek 25. I think thats where my inability to cope with heat comes from. When I lived in Brisbane,it was hot all year round, but 32 feels like 27 in Tas Launceston where I am now gets fairly warm, but it's usually with really nice clear weather (same in winter, cold but clear) whereas Hobart gets hotter, but it's quite often crappy hot muggy cloudy.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yeah I grew up in Devonport/Wynyard, where a hot summers day is liek 25. I think thats where my inability to cope with heat comes from. When I lived in Brisbane,it was hot all year round, but 32 feels like 27 in Tas.
Paradise, where I am now gets fairly warm, but it's usually with really nice clear weather (same in winter, cold but clear) whereas Hobart gets hotter, but it's quite often crappy hot muggy cloudy.
Just fixed that up for ya there ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Need some local intel.

I'm looking to go this Thursday for a day trip while I'm in Launceston. The weather forecast is predicting 5mm-15mm of rain.

What will the trails be like?

What's the drive from Launceston like?

rstim

Likes Dirt
Need some local intel.

I'm looking to go this Thursday for a day trip while I'm in Launceston. The weather forecast is predicting 5mm-15mm of rain.

What will the trails be like?

What's the drive from Launceston like?
The trails hold up well in the rain they can get a bit muddy in places but the soil drains well and the trail fairies have kept the drains clear over winter. There is still plenty of grip even on the granite rocks in the wet so if this is your only chance to sample Derby don't let the rain stop you, you'll still have a ball.
As for the drive there if you like driving and corners the sideling is one of the best stages in Targa Tasmania an absolute blast to drive in the right car travel via Nunamara. If you prefer a more sedate route travel via Lilydale to Scottsdale longer but might be your preference.

rstim

Likes Dirt
We drove it in a large, slow camper van with carsick females. Not so cool.
Not the weapon of choice that's for sure and anyone that gets carsick probably should travel the alternate route, you'll know for next time.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
I will be in a Kia rio manual hatch hire car.. What a shame!

Guess I'll have to suffice to some heel toeing through the corners and some massive body roll.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
have booked 2 nights in Derby which gives me 1 full day to ride there in December.
What are the must do trails ??
Probably xc and trail oriented rides is what I like, not into crazy jumps/drops.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
have booked 2 nights in Derby which gives me 1 full day to ride there in December.
What are the must do trails ??
Probably xc and trail oriented rides is what I like, not into crazy jumps/drops.
There's a few...

Flickety Sticks

Long Shadows

Black Stump (you can take Long Shadows and ride Black Stump and jump onto Dam Busters, my favourite option)

Dambusters

Krushkas/Rattler/Howler

The whole Axe Head/Relics/Sawtooth/Berms and Ferns loop

Return to Sender

And definitely try to do Blue Tier and Big Chook in Welborough 20km from Derby (You have to option to shuttle to the top or ride the old school Blue Tier Trail up and down the new trail.

Unless your very fit you probably won't get it all done.

What you could do if your keen, is get out for an early Long Shadows/Flickety Sticks lap, and have a shuttle for Blue Tier booked and then tackle as many of the other Derby trails after lunch.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
thank you ! cheers
will save those list and get my fitness up :)

There's a few...

Flickety Sticks

Long Shadows

Black Stump (you can take Long Shadows and ride Black Stump and jump onto Dam Busters, my favourite option)

Dambusters

Krushkas/Rattler/Howler

The whole Axe Head/Relics/Sawtooth/Berms and Ferns loop

Return to Sender

And definitely try to do Blue Tier and Big Chook in Welborough 20km from Derby (You have to option to shuttle to the top or ride the old school Blue Tier Trail up and down the new trail.

Unless your very fit you probably won't get it all done.

What you could do if your keen, is get out for an early Long Shadows/Flickety Sticks lap, and have a shuttle for Blue Tier booked and then tackle as many of the other Derby trails after lunch.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Do as above but add atlas. Then hit up some late shuttles to rts, flickety etc.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk