eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Electrons=Unicorns You know that they are there, you can see their effects on life but you can never actually visually see them. Why is this I ask ?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Soooooo, remember that memo y'all got about thread derailing?
Typically, I'd just close thread and forget it if it went down this path but there is some genuine interest in this E bike thing whether you're for or against it's use on mountain bike trails.
Stay on topic lads, as good as the boob stuff is, it's not in it's place in this diabolical thread.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Funny you mention. Fat e-bike is actually top of my list. If it weren't for the cost of fatty specific parts, i'd take a 250w fat e-bike and use that as a daily commuter and some serious outback rides. I tried a fatty and I loved it, but it's just too much darn bike for me to haul!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I tried so hard to find a hot bikini clad girl on an ebike for this thread.

Which raises the question, would you get one for the girly? I know with mine she physically cant do long rides, just conks out around the 20k mark. An ebike would help for sure, but morally I can't bring myself to buy one, even though she might enjoy riding more. Wouldnt ride mtb trails with it though, more state forest exploration and whatnot.

kouta666

Squid
Yep, I'm currently selling a couple of my bikes to fund an ebike. Looking forward to be able to take my 12 year old son on trail rides with me. He's not fit so hopefully he'll then be able to keep up with me and we can go for normal length rides too. Plus he won't burn out so easily. That's the true strength in ebikes.

Definitely not destroying any trails as he'll be going at the same speed as an average adult rider.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt

Which raises the question, would you get one for the girly? I know with mine she physically cant do long rides, just conks out around the 20k mark. An ebike would help for sure, but morally I can't bring myself to buy one, even though she might enjoy riding more. Wouldnt ride mtb trails with it though, more state forest exploration and whatnot.
I've used a pedalec moonlander in the UAE desert for exactly this use. A girl I was dating wasn't quite physically up to enjoying sand biking, the extra wattage on tap meant she really enjoyed it and it made us reasonably evenly matched. Made for great off road cycling

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anyone got alternatives for the copenhagen wheel?

I's like somethin like that because it makes it easy to switch over if needed. I am recovering from injury so want to use it for commuting initially and then as a range extender for really big rides with my other mate who has an e bike. Also I'd like to be able to move it from my bike to the gf's bike when she is out with me so something from alibaba is not going to cut it with the amount of sensors etc. I t would make moving it a pain. Copenhagen wheel is different because I can just take it out and the whole thing sits in a wheel and controlld via an app. Thoughts?

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Anyone got alternatives for the copenhagen wheel?

I's like somethin like that because it makes it easy to switch over if needed. I am recovering from injury so want to use it for commuting initially and then as a range extender for really big rides with my other mate who has an e bike. Also I'd like to be able to move it from my bike to the gf's bike when she is out with me so something from alibaba is not going to cut it with the amount of sensors etc. I t would make moving it a pain. Copenhagen wheel is different because I can just take it out and the whole thing sits in a wheel and controlld via an app. Thoughts?
I've never ridden a Copenhagen wheel but it always sounded too good to be true

Pedalecs need to be efficient because of the extra weight they add to the bike (9kg) for a big battery bionx system

The KERS style energy harvesting is not huge in my experience

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt

Which raises the question, would you get one for the girly?
..because after e-biking, well...

all in response to this and other 'ah but my kids/wife/friend are not fit' posts:

Why do they need to keep up? dunno what the rest of the world does, but I keep my gofast time to myself, or with mates who want to ride, laugh, crash, jump stuff and not worry. If my wife wants to come on a proper ride, she'll train up and she will. Same for kids. Although give it ten years, and I'll be the one getting whipped.

When I do ride with kids/wife/non riding mates, it's on their terms. I spend the time with them, walking up things, dropping the bikes trackside and chasing butterflies if thats what happens. Y'know, hanging out. Sometimes the kids ask me to jump off stuff, which is always fun but makes me nervous because I know, soon I'll be nervously watching them try the same thing (my wife - well I can always dream :) ).

Lots of stopping, go as far as they want to go, chill out, ride bikes. There's no need for motorised ones...

Flow-Rider

Burner

all in response to this and other 'ah but my kids/wife/friend are not fit' posts:

Why do they need to keep up? dunno what the rest of the world does, but I keep my gofast time to myself, or with mates who want to ride, laugh, crash, jump stuff and not worry. If my wife wants to come on a proper ride, she'll train up and she will. Same for kids. Although give it ten years, and I'll be the one getting whipped.

When I do ride with kids/wife/non riding mates, it's on their terms. I spend the time with them, walking up things, dropping the bikes trackside and chasing butterflies if thats what happens. Y'know, hanging out. Sometimes the kids ask me to jump off stuff, which is always fun but makes me nervous because I know, soon I'll be nervously watching them try the same thing (my wife - well I can always dream :) ).

Lots of stopping, go as far as they want to go, chill out, ride bikes. There's no need for motorised ones...
Next they will want an e-bike race category.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless

Lots of stopping, go as far as they want to go, chill out, ride +bikes. There's no need for motorised ones...

+ a shit ton... it's a bullshit argument... just fucking pedal

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The example I gave was the warburton trail. 80km of gravel grind which would be easily doable for the average rider, basically impossibly for kids unless they were fully into riding and racing, and out of reach for average joe. There is no go fast here, just an alternative way of having a fun day out without killing everyone else who can't keep up. Also there are bbq spots along the way so with an e bike you can haul supplies, although I have seen a dude shred that on a cargo bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.