eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Pedalelecs, in unadulterated, un fucked with, from the factory pedal operated form are ebikes which have a place as commuters or transport. No argument from me. As best I can tell from my limited research they may be suitable on fire trails but not anything approaching dedicated mountain bike trails. Too heavy, too fat, too compromised. Those with some form of non pedal initiated throttle are just piss poor excuses for a motorbike and are not ebikes regardless of how many watts are present. And anyone who tries to suggest otherwise has a head full of shit. Time spent at university or not.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
[video=youtube;zEdETIjfngo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdETIjfngo[/video]

Sorry if this has been posted but this jerk really needs kicking in the teeth. What an arsehole.

Last edited:

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
As I've previously mentioned in the UK a video like this WOULD be used as evidence in a case brought by the police

If anyone knows a traffic cop I suggest having a chat.

As with anything its not the bike thats the problem its the dick riding it

He needs to take personal responsibility for his actions

The best way to get this problem solved and more like it is to use the laws that already exist. Whats the point in creating more laws when the current ones arent being enforced?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Not supporting e-mtb at a race event but they are eligible for 50+ year olds only. However couldn't find rules on power restrictions of verification of power prior to race.. Could get some bad grandpa's having a hoot on a stealth bomber!
Until gramps smashes his brains out and can't get out from under a 30kg pile of burning lithium polymer cells.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'd like to see weight limit e bike race format which is more of a tech show rather than a human race. Kind of like the solar car challenge.

Most people here have unfounded scenarios of incapable people going out on trails shredding and not being physically capable....

Not supporting e-mtb at a race event but they are eligible for 50+ year olds only. However couldn't find rules on power restrictions of verification of power prior to race.. Could get some bad grandpa's having a hoot on a stealth bomber!
...ok I believe you guys now.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
There was a bloke who did the 64k portion of the Flinders Epic with an e-bike. The boss had a yarn to him after he had come down Razorback into Brachina Gorge. He loved being able to do an mtb event with his e-bike because having Parkinson's disease made the riding a bit difficult these days...

...Kudos to that gent and the organisers for saying yes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Riding a motorbike at 70kph on a cycle path. Not to suggest that all cyclists are angels but if someone nailed that guy he'd have little to complain about.

It's idiots like that who will force tight legislation and crackdowns on all e-bikers

scblack

Leucocholic
I ride the M7 cycleway in Sydney to work most days. About two years ago there was a spate of petrol powered MTBs being ridden on there by groups of toe-rag teenagers. Since then I understand the law has changed and these bikes can be instantly confiscated. Lately there have been zero sightings of them.

Not sure how that law would apply to e-bikes though.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
I ride the M7 cycleway in Sydney to work most days. About two years ago there was a spate of petrol powered MTBs being ridden on there by groups of toe-rag teenagers. Since then I understand the law has changed and these bikes can be instantly confiscated. Lately there have been zero sightings of them.

I'm pretty sure it would be exactly the same legislation

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt

There are guys that use them to get over the gateway bridge to avoid the tolls (park, unload, over the bike path)
There is also a a guy that had a 250W (ghetto conversion) e-bike, and I could hold my own against him on the climb at full gas (he didn't pedal at all). He now has a 900W motor kit, and I don't even bother
Al..

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Going back to the use of e-bikes on trails (& sorry if this was covered in the last 10-20 pages, haven't kept up for the last week or 2), I was reading the NSW rules for power assisted pedal cycles linked earlier (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...vsi-27-mopeds-power-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf) and came across this section:

A road means an area that is open to or used by the public and is developed for, or has as
one of its main uses, the driving or riding of motor vehicles.
A road related area means:
(a) an area that divides a road, or
(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road, or
(c) an area that is open to the public and is designated for use by cyclists or animals, or
(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or
parking vehicles, or
(e) a shoulder of a road, or
(f) any other area that is open to or used by the public and that has been declared under
section 18 to be an area to which specified provisions of this Act or the statutory rules
apply.
By part C, wouldn't single tracks or at least fire trails, be a road related area? This is important because of the section on registration for Mopeds which is:

REGISTRATION
In New South Wales, mopeds are required to be registered for use on roads or road-related
areas. To do so, they must meet the construction and equipment requirements for motor
cycles as set out in the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007 (the
Regulation) including compliance with the applicable Australian Design Rules (ADRs), and be
fitted with an identification plate issued by the [Commonwealth] Department of Infrastructure
and Regional Development.
So if you had a bike with a motor (electric or otherwise) which exceeded 250W (or 200W if you have a throttle), then it's a moped. This would mean that to ride on road related areas, you need a compliance plate and registration. If a fire trail is a road related area, then anything that isan't a EN 15194 Pedalec can't be ridden without such.

Of course, this all hinges on what a 'road related area' is. So am I right in interpreting fire trails & single track as a road related area?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Going back to the use of e-bikes on trails (& sorry if this was covered in the last 10-20 pages, haven't kept up for the last week or 2), I was reading the NSW rules for power assisted pedal cycles linked earlier (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...vsi-27-mopeds-power-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf) and came across this section:

By part C, wouldn't single tracks or at least fire trails, be a road related area? This is important because of the section on registration for Mopeds which is:

So if you had a bike with a motor (electric or otherwise) which exceeded 250W (or 200W if you have a throttle), then it's a moped. This would mean that to ride on road related areas, you need a compliance plate and registration. If a fire trail is a road related area, then anything that isan't a EN 15194 Pedalec can't be ridden without such.

Of course, this all hinges on what a 'road related area' is. So am I right in interpreting fire trails & single track as a road related area?
This is where lawyers make or break; the definition of the wording can be seen in many different guises.
My point is simple: I don't want to see or share mountain bike trails with kooks on E bikes, motor bikes or walkers.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt

What I do know is all MX bikes used on any open access public land (like forests?) need to be registered as if they were being used on the road. It is not designated off-road as in other parts of the world.

On private land they do not need to be registered but obviously need the landowners permission

It's a situation reasonably unique to Australia is my understanding from conversations with the raid rally crowd.

Therefore, from what I know, anything over and above the 250W pedalec is clearly legislated for already

Folks just need to get it enforced rather than complaining about it to no one in particular on an Internet forum

Status
Not open for further replies.