eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
I would like to imagine the military uses better spec bikes...

When will we see the pedal coppers riding these? Most of the bike coos here are a bit on the porky side already.
I do think the pedelec style ebike would be very useful for the uniformed services and the like

Not the stealth bomber style thing though.

E.g. Paramedics attending big outdoor events.

stirk

Burner
I do think the pedelec style ebike would be very useful for the uniformed services and the like

I read somewhere recently that the stealth bomber style electric motorbike was a perfect vehicle for the police when doing sneaky raids. If I had a meth lab I would be scared.

Although seeing these 5 bikes being stolen they could be used be meth heads as silent escape vehicles should they be alerted to a police presence.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

That's my point. Well not so much big events, any bike would be a huge pain in the arse at something like the big day out. But I regularly see cops rolling on shitty old service bikes, and pasties. Given the robust size of many of thee uniformed types the pedals with assistance or all out drive would be useful.

I read somewhere recently that the stealth bomber style electric motorbike was a perfect vehicle for the police when doing sneaky raids. If I had a meth lab I would be scared.

Although seeing these 5 bikes being stolen they could be used be meth heads as silent escape vehicles should they be alerted to a police presence.
Would make drive by shootings and servo robberies a bit easier too.

50. For an e-bike the operating costs would include:

·
leasing charges
·
insurance
·
electricity for the battery
·
maintenance costs, and
·
repairs.

Time to request another ruling, food required by the operator to produce energy to pedal it is a cost.
Interested to know if this is actually a viable method of getting an e-bike. If it's like leasing a car, every accountant will, and so far in my experience has told me that leasing a car is almost the most expensive way to buy a car. Wonder if it's the same as doing it for a bike?

Ideate

Just to be clear this only applies to pedelecs as defined by law 250W max with pedal assist activation. NOT electric motor bikes

This is a good thing for encouraging more people into using more active and sustainable transport.

Is there anything similar for 'normal' bikes. In the UK there is the cycle to work scheme
Blah blah... So I take that as a no? I think it's a good thing too as I'd consider leasing an e-bike to save on tax. It's slightly complicated though as it needs to involve contracts and jargon between a bike shop "e-bikesales" and work. It would also go back to e-bikesales after the leasing agreement ended which isn't so much of a problem because newer tech would be out. I'm sure they'd offer a buy back thing anyway on the balloon amount.

E-bikes are in my opinion motor bikes and as such shouldn't be ridden on footpaths (qld) or bike paths of any type.

Not sure if this has been covered, but e-bike wattage is marketing. As in, ''look out, don't step in the marketing!'"

http://www.ebikeschool.com/myth-ebike-wattage/

TLDR summary for the lazy.

Manufacturers lie about the wattage, often with the old 'continuous' vs 'peak' ratings. They do this because of some Australian and some European wattage limits of 250 watts (0.25kW). An example of a '250 watts' motor with a real rating of 540 watts is shown.

It is also possible for an end user to overvolt/overamp the motor. You could (will given enough power) cause damage but you could also increase the power output dramatically.

Funny enough, I'd bet that some the more powerful motors are rated at more than they deliver.

[video=youtube;zEdETIjfngo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdETIjfngo[/video]

Sorry if this has been posted but this jerk really needs kicking in the teeth. What an arsehole.
Riding a motorbike at 70kph on a cycle path. Not to suggest that all cyclists are angels but if someone nailed that guy he'd have little to complain about.

It's idiots like that who will force tight legislation and crackdowns on all e-bikers
No angels, lol. I have to admit, at first I was thinking 'nah, its not that bad...illegal...but not that bad''. Then he goes past the chick with the dog at 70+kph. It just went downhill from there. Sure, that e-bike looked like it would be great fun. But I think thins like this, and e-bikes in general, are going to cause a crackdown on all of us.

I've heard of 16kW bikes being sold, but the company appears to be dead. But that b-52 is (supposedly) 5.2kW. Back drive only so it would be possible to build a 2 x 2 10.4kW version now. The claims might be exaggerated, but with what we have now there is a shocking amount of speed in a powerful e-bike. Battery tech is improving every day, electric motors aren't standing still and if there isn't the capability to build more powerful e-bike motors, I'm a penguin.

Someone will get booked at some stupid situation which will be enough to become a press feeding frenzy ('drug dealing e-biker booked after 120kph CBD chase'). Or the cops and pollies will just state 'e-bikes are an issue, illegal models are used in crime and are dangerous on the roads and paths' and use it as an excuse for bike registration and licencing. All bikes, not just e-bikes.

I hope I am wrong. But I also hope that the situation is resolved in a sane and sensible way, soon, cause e-bike issues are going to get worse.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Lysterfield Parks ebike users are really starting to chew up the tracks. The comm games switchbacks climb has some bloody deep 4" wide ruts. I've never seen ruts like these develop on dry tracks before, no way it's human power. Plus the rocks from the rock paved sections are getting pulled out faster and faster at the corners, yet the trees have over grown the track in spots, indicating less traffic volume.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Met an old couple on the Thredbo valley trail yesterday. Got talking to him as he was about 50m ahead of his lady. Carbon anthem and fit as a fiddle. Asks us if that is the start of the trail. Then his missus catches up and I notice her hardtail is actually a pedelec. I asked her about it and she explains that with two bad knees she can't put the power through the pedals on a normal bike anymore and this has allowed her to continue with there love of cycling. She indicated that she has done rides of up to 70km in a morning with hubby, charged the bike over lunch and then ridden back. At this point old mate is seeming like a bit of a fit bugger. Whilst looking over the bike she explains how you can adjust the power output to help to give the speed you need and the battery life you require. Then she offered me a test ride. I was on it in a second and first thing. My god it is heavy. Like oh my god how do you lift this up heavy. I take about two pedals and let out a woohoo as the motor kicks in and off I go. It was really quite amusing. I didn't try it in the single track as I have a real bike for that. But how cool that this couple in there either 70s can be out on the trails. I'm not sure how much damage she would cause but the two of them where loving life.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Lysterfield Parks ebike users are really starting to chew up the tracks. The comm games switchbacks climb has some bloody deep 4" wide ruts. I've never seen ruts like these develop on dry tracks before, no way it's human power. Plus the rocks from the rock paved sections are getting pulled out faster and faster at the corners, yet the trees have over grown the track in spots, indicating less traffic volume.
+1 ... yes, they are trashing the place.

takai

Eats Squid
I dont get the sudden "OMG Frankenbike" sentiment in that article. Have they just not been paying attention to the plethora of bodgy 2 stroke moped 'conversions' that are on the roads?

Im still keen on one for a Bakfiets. Met a lady the other day who had two 1yo twins in the front basket, with all the kids stuff and groceries, and a 3yo on the rear in a bike seat and a 4.5yo on a tagalong. Reckons she wouldn't be able to do that without the extra 250w. TBH im not sure i would either, thing would be nigh on 100kg all up.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
eBikes are good for motorpacing behind while commuting.. otherwise what do people think of the self-paddling, jet-powered surfboards? Same deal really. Good for a handful of people who need them, but otherwise don't call it cycling/surfing.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
So I was just scrolling down my facey and for some reason a post by Stealth Electric Bikes popped up in my news feed, claiming to now have an authorised dealer and service centre in Canberra. Hmmm

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
So I was just scrolling down my facey and for some reason a post by Stealth Electric Bikes popped up in my news feed, claiming to now have an authorised dealer and service centre in Canberra. Hmmm
ya I saw the same. I hope the service centre are good at building rear wheels - that's a lot of unsprung weight out back. Which speaks volumes about e-bike designers and riders. Also hopefully the business are responsibly advising e motorheads to stick to moto trails. Although unlikely given marketing spiel.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
ya I saw the same. I hope the service centre are good at building rear wheels - that's a lot of unsprung weight out back. Which speaks volumes about e-bike designers and riders. Also hopefully the business are responsibly advising e motorheads to stick to moto trails. Although unlikely given marketing spiel.
They are actually already banned at Stromlo, not sure about other places. I was thinking about leaving a comment there along those lines but it would probably get deleted anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.