eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hmmm first post calling for pitch forks... Looks like someone only signed up for an arguement.

Don't feed the troll kids.

shakes

Likes Dirt
With e-MX-bikes that are capable of keeping up with modern 4strokes. It wont be long until the tech filters to mtb converted ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5SqoyR8Ht0

It's 'OK' at the moment with pedal assist sub 250w bikes. But as soon as people get on how to mod these to be 1000w non pedal assist monsters and still look like they are meant to be on trails... We will have problems. Too fat too unfit etc etc is just another excuse for you and the reason you are that way to begin with.

If it gives you more freedom to ride to work, and I can see them being fantastic as inner city density increases. I am also seriously looking at one for my partner to ride due to a disability.

Ban em from the onset to save hassle later.

I ride a MTB converted to electric with a peak power of a lot more than 200w and the impressions that I get from other mountain bikers and even walkers on trails is generally positive. The key is that (also due to battery capacity limitations) I don't go riding around at unreasonable speeds.

The only reasonable argument I've seen so far against them is the fear of loss of access to trails. So the key is for those who ride e-mtbs is to ride courteously and be respectful of all other trail users.

The biggest difference between an e-mtb and a motorbike is weight. When the bike and the rider weigh <100 kg, then the impact on the trails is going to be similar to a heavier rider on a regular mountain bike. When the weight of the e-mtb increases, eg around 50kg for the Stealth Bomber, then it no longer handles like a mountain bike and it has more impact on the trails. Limiting the weight is also an effective (average) speed limit, since it limits battery capacity.

If you haven't tried it, all I can say is don't knock it until you've tried it.

I think if you have the strength and ability to ride technical singletrack you also posses the ability to pedal, or posses the potential. If you are disabled enough not to be able to stand up, jump, cross logs, negotiate rock gardens, then by all means, buy an ebike and stick to rail trails and fireroads.
With respect, I don't think you have much experience or knowledge of the range of disabilities out there. There are a number of fatiguing conditions (mostly autoimmune) that allow you to do those things but just for a limited period of time. If said individuals burned all their energy just riding up the hill, then they wouldn't have any energy for the fun stuff. For me riding is a fun way of rehabilitation during periods of partial remission.

I don't know how I would feel about ebikes if I didn't have such a health condition, but I guess I would try to approach it like I approach most things - with an open mind and try to see it from as many points of view as possible before forming an opinion and it would be great if others could do the same.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

Likes Bikes
Wow, only 2 posts in 4 years and yet I'm left with a lasting impression...
Obviously this guy was a wanker
Very droll pp, make a habit of calling complete strangers wankers do you? The guy puts the effort in to write a reasoned position in support of something you don't necessarily believe in and rather than rebut the facts, or put forward a cogent argument, you use some of his words to insult him. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but comments like that are just...juvenile. You know, we need more of your type on the net and forums in general. Still think I'm a salesman do you? Any other prejudgements you'd like to make? Please get them out now and then add to your post count elsewhere if you've nothing constructive to say.

To all - full disclosure - I know Hyena from other ebike related forums. I didn't ask Hyena to post here but I do very much appreciate that he did - he has lots of experience in biking in general and ebiking in particular. I doubt you'd find many ebikers that weren't previously either road or more likely MTB riders and we have a legitimate desire to ensure there is increased understanding of what we feel ebikes represent - this is an education process and to try and overcome the clear prejudices that exist. I also posted a link to this thread in a discussion topic around legal power limits where time was given to the topic of other cyclists (and general motorists) acceptance of ebikes (for what it's worth I've specifically asked for people to not come over here and one time post).

Annoyingly, I suspect many people posting negatively here haven't even bothered to check out what the retail power limited bikes are like in looks, performance, fitout or anything... However, I have mostly enjoyed the discussion/debate and am pleased that at least it's got a bit of traction.

Hyena

Likes Bikes
Hmmm first post calling for pitch forks... Looks like someone only signed up for an arguement.
Sorry, I assumed the smilie would indicate it was a joke. My comment was a joke based on some of the pitchfork/mob mentality towards ebikes. It sounds like you didn't bother to read the rest of my post...

And yeah, I signed up years ago, mainly been reading and lurking, bought a few bikes and parts but not posted much. This topic on ebikes caught my attention but it sounds my opening joke may have cut too close to the bone for you and poodle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^^^ (dark knight) Clearly has post count envy.

Go read your hyena's post again and you'll see I served him his own unjustified judgements.

And juvenile is my forte.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sorry, I assumed the smilie would indicate it was a joke. My comment was a joke based on some of the pitchfork/mob mentality towards ebikes. It sounds like you didn't bother to read the rest of my post...

And yeah, I signed up years ago, mainly been reading and lurking, bought a few bikes and parts but not posted much. This topic on ebikes caught my attention but it sounds my opening joke may have cut too close to the bone for you and poodle.
I liked the opening joke. It was the climax I thought lame...

Hyena

Likes Bikes
...as soon as people get on how to mod these to be 1000w non pedal assist monsters and still look like they are meant to be on trails... We will have problems.
That's crazy power dude! That much power on a mountain bike sounds like sci fi to me.

Ban em from the onset to save hassle later.
LOL, well that's the most academic solution.
Out of curiosity where do you draw the line ? And seeing as you take such offence, what exactly do you want banned ? Single track ? Fire trails ? Dirt roads ?

As I said before, and as snow leopard echoed the key to riding an ebike and gaining acceptance is to not be a tool.

I bet you've all ridden past ebikes and not even known.

Hyena

Likes Bikes
Go read your hyena's post again and you'll see I served him his own unjustified judgements.
What were unjustified judgements on my part ? About the bike shop owner's attitude ? Do you think that's a suitable way for a business owner of any type to talk to a customer who wanted to give him legitimate business ?

Or are my other opinions unjustified ?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Alighting yourself with the oppressed black man is a bit rich.
I don't think a middle aged white man knows anything about living with racism.
Go hang out with the chubby emo scooter riders. You can tell them no one understands.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ (like piston says) that would be part of it. There was a fantastic discussion around race relations on here a little while ago. It was so heated my phone crashed. Many times.

And yeah just because the bike shop owner didnt want your money, doesn't make him an obvious wanker.

So I served your disdain back up....didn't think i'd need to explain that one to a group of adults.

Anyway I'm going for a scoot. Its only good a night. In the day time the scateboarders bike riders and even the rollerbladers mock me for being emo.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16520&start=800

Now hyena don't claim you didn't come here looking for an argument. Enjoy your geek bike.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Well this changes my perspective a little. Time get juvenille....

Fuck the fucking fuckers.

I hope electric bikes are soon banned for being the pesky midlife crisis propelling nuisance they clearly are. No further justification would be needed.

Anyway my interest in this fraudulent thread of geek bike lies has ended.

Dark Knight

Likes Bikes

Now hyena don't claim you didn't come here looking for an argument. Enjoy your geek bike.

Nice to see your back Aussie_Ryder - and for the further contribution.

Well, now that it's out there I encourage anyone to take a look around the endless sphere web site. This is a global website were there is a lot of cutting edge e stuff going on in car, bikes, scooters, buggies, emotos, scooters, tricycles...you name it, it's being worked on. Nearly all of it is DIY and there's some impressive skills being displayed with people fabricating frames from scratch etc. etc. It may not be your cup of tea but it is a global movement, and many people are doing there level best to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

Hopefully this has cleared up any of that bullshit re: sales. Anyone can also see my posts over there as the call sign is the same. Oh - and the geek reference...I'm sure it'll be taken as a compliment - the Geek will inherit the earth after all.

Well this changes my perspective a little. Time get juvenille....

Fuck the fucking fuckers.

I hope electric bikes are soon banned for being the pesky midlife crisis propelling nuisance they clearly are. No further justification would be needed.

Anyway my interest in this fraudulent thread of geek bike lies has ended.
Doesn't appear to have changed your perspective at all. Oh, and just so I can be really sure, what lies are you exactly referring to...? Still waiting for one well reasoned comment from you...should I hold my breath?

It's a shame that what I thought could be a reasoned discussion comes to this.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
^ .

Anyway I'm going for a scoot. Its only good a night. In the day time the scateboarders bike riders and even the rollerbladers mock me for being emo.
Cool. Can you do one of those wicked bunny hops where you just put one foot on the ground and lift the scooter up by the bars? Madd SkilZ!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
eBikes compared to segregation and apartheid.

That's me done with this thread!

Rob_74

Likes Dirt

Opps hyena you kinda been found out.... I was actually thinking people were being overly negative... but from your forum of enerds on sphere:

"I've also been careful to not post anything re: endless sphere forum as some of the things we discuss here (and some of the riding we do) is probably skating pretty close to legal boundaries (my heavens, how was that for a politically correct mouthful) and don't want to lead the more manically opposed individuals to a source of 'evidence'. No doubt those that find there own way here will be more curious and liberal in their ebike thoughts... "

" they are going to have to face it. we arnt going away, and theres not too many cops in the bush :D so thers jack shit they can do about it,....200w or... a whole lot more!"

You certainly help change my view... now you can fuck off with your ebike and if I come across u on a trail happy to tell you to ur face...

Status
Not open for further replies.