eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Being lazy to pedal I suppose you are also too lazy to do trail maintenance?
I'm not going to assume that these eRiders posting here are so lazy but my concern is that it would open MTBing up to much of the crowd are.

I'd actually expect that blokes like these two that are right in to their...., thing, would also be motivated enough to get out and work on the kind of trails they like to ride.

Am I assuming correctly, do you blokes often attend working days and build your own trails?

i for one, have only ever ridden a trail once before being put off by the enterprise warp 9 feeling.

the 10kg+ hubmotor in the rear is also a huge unsprung weight and is really not ideal for this application.

the guys who are perhaps more likely to take to trails are the mid-drive faction...

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
Mildly amusing.
[video=youtube;plN8f4bATEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plN8f4bATEo&list=PLUSlwC_-K698dSTvniDJfGMtB369LgC1u[/video]

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
lol, RUN AWAY!!!!!

Each to their own and all but I have trouble not shaking my head at people who choose the soft middle between working hard with pedals or going hard with a proper trail bike. Prob says more about me than anything else but I do shake thyne head at thee.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
After spending the last hour or two watching bike videos on youtube, I can't say I'm all that impressed. I think I'll keep using my legs for power.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How do you clear big logs with a heavier ebike? After an upgrade 9 months ago losing about 2kg I can't believe I used to clear the stuff I did. If you're stuggling with an ebike - I'm not sure how you'd clear some of the trail features...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
YEah, the milder eBikes really seem ridiculous to me.

It's like they've taken the fun parts out of MTB and motorbikes and made something weak and meaningless out of it. I just don't get it.

MTB is fun because it's light and you bust out heaps of energy. Motorbikes are fun because they're grunty and fast. Why would you make something that removes those two elements leaving you with only the lesser parts of each concept?

Not tryin to put shit on our new eBike guests, just given my thoughts, is all.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How do ebikes handle dog shit? It can be pretty sticky. Does it fly off the tyres due to the Mega Witt power burst? Or does it just cling on because of the power limits?

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Hmm, you have me thinking that an ebike may be perfect for my dad. I will have to have a talk to him about it. Living in a remote property a dual suspension ebike may be the answer for him to get around and give the dogs a run while he no longer can. But then he does just like going for a walk with his camera.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hmm, you have me thinking that an ebike may be perfect for my dad. I will have to have a talk to him about it. Living in a remote property a dual suspension ebike may be the answer for him to get around and give the dogs a run while he no longer can. But then he does just like going for a walk with his camera.
Finally someone makes sense about ebikes.

YEah, the milder eBikes really seem ridiculous to me.

It's like they've taken the fun parts out of MTB and motorbikes and made something weak and meaningless out of it. I just don't get it.

MTB is fun because it's light and you bust out heaps of energy. Motorbikes are fun because they're grunty and fast. Why would you make something that removes those two elements leaving you with only the lesser parts of each concept?

Not tryin to put shit on our new eBike guests, just given my thoughts, is all.
Fully agree.

the same thing goes for 200w road pedal assist ,heavy ,useless ,expensive, chinese junkpiles.

once you put on all the extra weight, unless its got real power, its just a dissappointment, and often puts people off after their first couple rides.

a bike with serious herbs....well thats another matter:)

i believe currently, there is no competition for pure mtb for lightweight agility at speed on tracks. its still in a realm of its own. i fully respect it for that.

but what they have in common with eachother, is it all comes down to the rider. safety of others must always be considered at all times,FIRST no mattter what the location.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Nico makes the Lapierre look fast.

[video=youtube;hwaW-hEO4Lk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwaW-hEO4Lk[/video]

Ivan

Eats Squid
Also, some of these comments about people being lazy aren't very well though out.

With 250w of assistance, you can still hit you max heart rate and flog your legs, your just going to be getting to the top of the hill a fair bit quicker. You may still do a 3hr ride where your shattered by the end, but instead of riding to the top of Stromlo three times, you've done it five times, and enjoyed pork barrel five times.

quin66

Likes Dirt
But the majority here just don't want to do that. They want to ride without any electrical assistance even if it makes you quicker up the hills. Part of the ride is slogging your guts out to get to the top and making climbs you have struggled on in the past. Realizing you are now quicker than your mate and shit like that.
You all put up a great speel on these electric contraptions but come on give it a rest.
I doubt you will convert anyone on here and its sort of like me going to a fixie forum and spouting the benefits of gearing or a bmx site and going on about bigger wheels.
What size tire do you plug ins ride anyhow?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Or you could do shuttles with a bunch of mates....way more fun and social. Only issue is the smell 6 dudes leave in the shuttle pig.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Also, some of these comments about people being lazy aren't very well though out.
I could be wrong, but the open did state he was too fat to pedal...or something similar. That is probably where the lazy claims started.

Other jerks (like myself) were just focusing on what we do best. Being jerks. Juvenile ones in my case.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Nico makes the Lapierre look fast.

[video=youtube;hwaW-hEO4Lk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwaW-hEO4Lk[/video]
Pfft, look at that fat, lazy Frenchman! Did you see how he was totally using his electric bike to shred the trails (with pure electric power mind you, definitely not just with the speed that a normal MTB could generate going downhill anyway), and then he caused that massive accident going uphill under power at a rediculously break neck speed of 25 km/h!

The man and his stupid powered bike are a menace and should absolutely be banned from all mtb trails before they go and 'toook ouer jeorbs!'.

Status
Not open for further replies.